FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interested in helping to build a fantasy world?

Author Topic: Interested in helping to build a fantasy world?
bone
Member # 5277

- posted      Profile for bone   Email bone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting work on creating a new fantasy world. The project is less than two weeks old so there is a change to get in on the ground level of a process we expect to last another 3-6 months. We plan to launch a short story site and attached forum based around the world.

Also I have been a member of this forum for awhile so I expect the oh not another person starting a world or website comments. All I have to say is we have a few dedicated members already and just posting this to give a chance to others to get involved. Plus of course we would love the help.

http://www.avidgamers.com/sero

P.S. on another note this forum is strictly for the development of the world. We are likely to host it somewhere besides avid gamers so we have more control over site layout and content. Also because it is just a world development forum don’t expect flashy graphics there. 

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, bone. What has been done so far?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Build one?

I live in one!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I'll help, but only if the world is edible. ...

after it's dead, of course...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a whirl.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont get it, what exactly will go on in this?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Much drawing of big-breasted cartoon women, I imagine.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What?

I'm there, man! [Cool]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Allright, where do you want the concrete mixer and painter scaffolding?...

Boys, bring it all in!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
So the world is named after the Spanish pronunciation of "Zero"? [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Why not? Ours is Anglo-Saxon for "dirt".
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I fail to understand the point.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to help, but I have never gamed before (read this as total ignorance of what gaming even is). It sounds like a lot of fun, but would I have any idea what was going on?

[ December 09, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

If you are interested just click on the link and apply to be a member. I will approve you and you will have access to the forum. Not much has been done so far we have a few pages of notes on overall concepts. We have also started to do a little work on organizations and such in the world.

Tom it doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand anything. Thanks for taking time out of your day to comment negatively however.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's only $8!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity--what does the "Text" section of the sign-up form want text for?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, bone, what's the point? Are you just engaging in some collaborative storytelling?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
By the looks of it, Sero is going to be something akin to the Forgotten Realms?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Do we all get "rights" to write stories in this world if we help create it?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

Do mean rights to write a story based in the world and sell it? Or rights to write stories and post them somewhere? We would be fine with you posting your own stories based in this world anywhere you want but I am not sure it would be allowable (maybe it would...) for you to take the world and sell a story based in it.

As for what the world will be like comparable high fantasy worlds might be middle earth, forgotten realms, or the world from wheel of time. So far one of the major aspects of the world will be artifacts created in an ancient war that bind various lands to the control of their master. The ancient war was a war between tech and magic. Tech won but the civilation has since fallen and at least a thousand years has passed leaving little or no trace of the ancient tech.

P.S. Tom we are building a world with the intention of creating a short story website with an attached RPG forum based on the world.

[ December 10, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: bone ]

bone
Member # 5277

Eh the text box is whatever you want to put in there or leave it blank. Also the boards are collaborative but the short stories will be your own as long as they don't run over other events.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty interesting... [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

Then follow the link and sign up [Smile]
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
Apply to GWB c/o The White House. [Wink]
(I wish that were really funny!)

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

Ele why do you have to mix comments between threads? This thread is not political in nature at all.
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
"FotR, meet Wheel of Time. Allow me to introduce half of the anime plotlines to the two of you. Now, we're going to mix everything up and call ourselves something completely new for absolutely no reason."

That's what this thread sounds like. If the people who contribute can't sell their ideas later, why should they bother adding any of the good ideas they have saved up?

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
middle earth... wheel of time
Please don't ever use these two in a sentence together again. That's like comparing the works of Picasso (oft-genius and OCD-level proliferation) to the works of Wesley Willis (sometimes, through the sputtering nonsense comes a glimpse of genius, but it's hopelessly lost in the myriad of crap).

[ December 13, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rock and Roll Macdonalds, Rock and Roll Macdonalds..."
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

Primal Curve -
Lol you’re a funny one I was simply using them to define the genre of high fantasy by using what should be fairly common examples. On a side note however I think both authors are great.

Jutsa Notha Name -

Quite simply we are creating a new world in order to write short stories and a start a forum based in it. You obviously have never been involved in such a thing but it happens all the time and people enjoy being involved. Furthermore any ideas they have they could certainly use for whatever they wanted.

This world will be original but like LOTR, Wheel of Time, all TSR/WOFTC Dungeons and Dragons worlds it would fit into the category I call high fantasy.

bone
Member # 5277

bump

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.