FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bill of Health -- clean...sort of.

Author Topic: Bill of Health -- clean...sort of.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting to post this "news" until I had something definite to say. I went to the doctor because I kept having weird chest pains and I figured it was either stress (divorce, move, lack of Hatrack connectivity for a few days...) or I was heading for angioplasty or a bypass!!!

Turns out I do have high blood pressure and high cholesterol (although the readings didn't impress me much, the doctor wants to medicate). The important thing is that my chest pains were just nothing (probably stress). Echocardiogram looked "great!"

So, I'm going to start an exercise routine "programme" (that's a classier thing than just putting on sweats and rolling around in front of the TV) and maybe that'll lower the blood pressure and cholesterol too.

Yippee...

I guess.

I think I'll start with walking and bike riding.

Any other thoughts?

I'm already doing the oatmeal thing for breakfast.

I hate low sodium diets, so try not to mention anything so impractical... 'kay?

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost missed this post because it dropped down in the list so fast....

Bob -- congrats on it being nothing serious, and on your decision to start some kind of regimen to keep you alive.

Personally, I prefer walking (but I live in the country). I also make myself take the stairs at work, etc. Just little things.

However, if you ever want to raise that blood pressure back up -- just come see me! [Wink]

[Big Grin]
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it wasn't serious.

For exercise, I'd recommend Pole-Bo--it's sweaping the nation!

As for diet, my father has been searching for years for a "heart healthy" diet that's actually tasty enough to stay on, and has finally found one. It's very high in omega-3s. I'll talk to him and find out the name of the book he got it from, if you're interested.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're okay, Bob. That's scary. Congratulations on the internal cavity search.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, thanks for taking care of yourself. Congratulations on the good news.

Had you thought about swimming? For generous-sized persons, the water offers support, there's no ick of sweat in the enclosed areas, and time can fly when you are having fun.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you were a hearty soul.

As for stress, do you know how many calories you burn typing new thing in Hatrack?

Me either.

But it sure kills the stress.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Bob. I'm glad it's not more serious -- and glad that, despite your joking tone, you're ALSO taking it seriously.

You know what? I need to lose some weight, myself. Maybe you can be an inspiration to the rest of us.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
If you jog from your car to KFC you burn off all the extra calories. Really, you do.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, I've got the information. The book is called The Omega Diet: The Lifesaving Nutritional Program Based on the Diet of the Island of Crete by Artemis Simopoulos. I think she might be Greek, but it's hard to tell. [Smile]

My father has lost a lot of weight by following this diet, and his cholesterol levels have dropped to a point where they're staggeringly low (the "bad" cholesterol--"good" cholesterol levels are at a relatively high levels. I'm afraid I don't remember the most recent numbers off the top of my head. He's been on this for a little more than a year, and is having no trouble staying on it (which is a first for him--historically he's been the classic "if-my-wife-doesn't-see-me-sneaking-off-to-McDonalds-the-calories-and-cholesterol-won't-count" type dieter.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grasshopper
Member # 1055

- posted      Profile for Grasshopper           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I highly recommend the Body for Life method. I lost 25 pounds in 3 months on this program (and have kept it off for about a year) and found it very practical.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No! Use my recommended method! ::tackles Grasshopper, knocking him out of frame::
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I can do anything with the initials BFL...

Sorry. Big Fat Loser just leaps to mind.

Just bought the Cretan diet book. What the heck, I love Mediterranean cooking, so even if the diet sucks, that'll work.

By the way, Icarus' Weight Loss Encouragement thread is already out there for tracking weight loss.

he's my hero!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're ok, Bob. Good luck with the cholesterol and BP. The book Noemon recommended looks good -- let us know how it tastes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well the first chapter was a little dry, but some Retsina to wash it down and I was fine.

By the way, do they HAVE to shave your chest to stick those things on you for the EKG?

And what's with the glue on those things? Some brands it's like a Post-It and they waste half of them because they wont stick. Other brands its like Superglue and you need a trip to the emergency room after they rip them off of you. Plus for several days after, you look like you've been attacked by a giant squid.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you can hike and run and weight life with ME!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you ticker's okay, Bob!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, glad you're somewhat okay.

My advise: yoga can be fun.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you're not in need of a major overhaul, Bob. [Cool]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, me too.

Thanks y'all.

I have an idea. I'll measure my circumference once per week for the next 9 months and Christy will measure hers and we'll see if I can decrease an inch for every inch she grows!!!

[Big Grin]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'd suggest signing up for some activity- I've never been able to motivate myself to excersise for any amount of time without some annoying people around telling me what to do or that I "need" to go today...

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob! Hang in there with the exercise and diet. It's tough. (If it makes you feel any better, I'm working on quitting smoking . . . [Wall Bash] which of course leaves me cranky and gaining weight . . . sigh . . . )

I'm glad that things look relatively okay - here's a hug!

[ December 09, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, quitting smoking hasn't been that hard for me. The dieting and exercise though...yuck!
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* You'll even get a month to work up to it, because even though I've got a little pouch, the nausea has killed any attempt at weight gain. [Blushing] 29" I'm little, and that's +3 inches!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

At some point, maybe you'll pass each other.

Bob, something that you might want to consider, when your doctor recommends medication, is that there is a growing body of evidence that suggests that statins, the class of drugs used in lowering cholesterol, can cause amnesiac episodes. There has been a fair amount of anecdotal evidence to this effect for some time, but the medical community has generally dismissed the idea. Now, however, there has been a study that suggests that it's true. I came across an article about this last night in the latest issue of New Scientist. Unfortunately, the article isn't available in the online edition of the magazine, so I can't link to it, but it might be worth googling for. I'm going to be bringing the article in to work and transcribing it for my dad tomorrow; when I do so I'll post a copy of it here if you're interested.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Noemon,

Sure, if you remember.

[Razz]

Um...

What was this thread about anyway?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this what you had in mind?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That looks about right. I'll have to take a look at the article tonight and see if its referencing this study.
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
3 words Bob
cool green moss
repeate ad infinitum as needed [Big Grin]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, when are you hiking with me?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
ya, I want to go too! where are we hiking?
Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Bob!

I don't have any health tips or anything. So don't ask me. It's kind of a dead end street.

Just so you know.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

hiking...yeah, that's what I need.

I'll meet you at the top of the hill. If I'm not there in 3 weeks, you go on without me.

Green moss. I'll order that. Thanks!

[Razz]

mackillian
Member # 586

*thwap*
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just cutting out fat and sugar can make a big difference in your calorie intake. And if you decrease salt a little at a time over a fairly long period, you actually get used to less salty food - I know, cause it happened to me, without my really realizing it. I just started adding slightly less salt to dishes, and when I went back to the amount I used to use, it was too salty.

Walking is a great form of exercise, if you have a good place to walk. I am sort of like Jaiden, though - I need something organized to motivate me to do it on a regular basis.

Glad you are ok, Bob, and taking care of yourself. [Smile]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
The recommendations on when to start treating high cholesterol are in flux at the moment. The data keeps suggesting that even more benefit can still be gained by treating earlier and earlier.

For example; It used to be that if you cholesterol was over 200, they began treating you. Now there starting to break it down into what your HDL or your LDL are. Some doctors are even looking at homocysteine.

If you were born to a mother who had gestational diabetes, some studies are recomending treatment, even if you do not have high cholesterol.

The new drugs that are treating cholesterol in the past few years (so called STATINS)are making a HUGE impact on the health of this country. We will look back on this in 50 years and be astounded at the impact they have made.

If you don't want to use prescription cholesterol medications, you can always try over the counter niacin. Niacin is probably one of the best cholesterol med's we have. There is a down side. At the doses you need it can cause very uncomfortable hot flashes, flushing and itching. It can also affect your liver. If you choose this route, you still MUST be monitored by your doctor. Just because it is an over the counter medication does not mean it is always safe.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.