FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Target and Wal-Mart (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Target and Wal-Mart
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
What about whipped cream and a pair of handcuffs?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this is the first thread on Hatcrack that I have started that has made it to three pages.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

You know, I miss the days when there were both a 24 Hour Chinese Food and Donuts and a $1 Chinese Food and Donuts within 10 minutes of my dorm. (Which do you go to? Depends on what time it is and how much money you have.) Although there are both Taco Bell and Del Taco within a quarter mile of my apartment.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I like going to Walmart at three in the morning. It's nice and empty and I can get through the store quickly. Not very quiet, tho, they always seem to be playing music too loudly overhead at night.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure not either, Tom, but perhaps
quote:
Me, I shop at WalMart occasionally for commodities, things I don't particularly care about. The older I get, the more quality matters to me, and the less WalMart becomes a destination
might have come across to some as saying those of us who can only afford Wal-Mart stuff are somewhat lower class (can't get "quality") or something. Other than that, I'm not sure what offended pixie.

FG
[edit: oops -- didn't see we were already on page3]

[ December 12, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the way he started off his sentence with "Me,."

I mean really, how pretentious-sounding can you get?

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure it had to be the tornado joke he tossed off earlier in the thread. I've reread his post on the second page a bunch of times looking for whatever it was that set The Pixiest off, and I honestly can't find anything offensive in it. I know that sometimes Tom says something that could have a snarky interpretation, and I'm not always sure which interpretation he intended, or if he actually intended both of them to be present. In this thread, though, I really haven't seen anything like that. The Pixiest seems to have had a problem with Tom for ages, and I think that she just generally has such a chip on her shoulder about him that when she sees a post of his, she automatically assumes the worst. Too bad, really; they're both nice people that I like quite a bit. It happens, though. The whole Belle/Anne Kate thing, or the Anne Kate/kat thing (which, happily, got resolved) spring to mind.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Hmm... I always thought The Pixiest was a guy.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, your elitist, anti-middle America comments show what kind of person you are.
I didn't get that from him...

Granted, I might not agree with some of Tom's viewpoints about people or issues, but at least he is respectful in the way he expresses them.

In other words: Be nice! [No No]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anne Kate/kat thing (which, happily, got resolved)
[Eek!] What on earth?? Anne Kate and I were fighting? When did this happen?? Was I there?

*thinks* Oh, you probably mean Olivet. Yes, all happily resolved. Yay! She's wonderful.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, right, it was you and Olivet who didn't get along for awhile. I'm glad that got resolved. I hate it when people I like a lot dislike each other.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That makes me feel better. I was afraid there was some sort of evil-Katie twin that arguing with Anne Kate. I can only handle one evil Katie at a time.

That whole thing seems so long ago now. You know it was almost a year and a half ago? Holy cow. hey, does this mean it's officially entered Hatrack Legend? Like bonduca and the time OSC still posted.

[ December 12, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yep, it's officially Hatrack Legend. You're immortal now!

::thinks::

I don't think that I've been a part of any Hatrack legends. I mean, I was the first person to create a "God" account, but since I'm probably the only person who remembers it, it doesn't really count.

katharina
Member # 827

We could get into a flame war if you would like. I suspect if we really tried and put our backs into it, we could smoke the leaves off the logo. [Smile]
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Noemon and CT agreeing on everything and complimenting each other about it is definitely a part of Hatrack Legend. [Big Grin]

edit: like Tristan and Isolde, Lancelot and Guinevere, Romeo and Juliet - except without the love and death. And on the internet. But otherwise, really quite similar.

[ December 12, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You're right, Lissande. No need for the flame war. And I was coming in here to propose doing it in verse, just to make it memorable. *sad*
Lissande
Member # 350

Since you bring it up, kat, I don't think I'm in Hatrack Lore. Maybe you and I could do the flame war? Or maybe we should just blow everyone away with the wit and intelligence shining through our every post.

*thinks* Of course, that last one hasn't worked so far...

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Lissande's the poster who's known this place long
Transcribes the legends and stays for a song.
She famously won Dante's millionaire game
He ducked out of the prize and now nothing's the same...

We could do that. [Smile]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Lissande to be the legendary Threadkiller of Hatrack, further famed for the serendipitous invention of the last post thread.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

*laugh* That's great. Stinkin Dante never did marry us, did he? ANY of us. All that hoopla and fanfare, and it was a scam all along. [Mad] I am ashamed to admit, though, that I couldn't make a decent rhyme if you offered me a million dollars and a chocolate bunny for it. My English degree actually has a stipulation in it that I never be allowed to even attempt to write poetry. I think the English Language (corporately) might revoke my right to speak it if I tried. It's embarrassing to have to admit this in a public forum, but there you go. [Big Grin]

So I'm stuck with the wit and vivacity angle. Or no...I think we're going about this the wrong way. Of course we're part of Hatrack Legend, kat - why shouldn't we be? We can't think of specific instances because it is our entire Hatrack careers that people admire and remember fondly. Don't you think so? (This is so much less effort...) [Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

Oh, absolutely. We are going to be like Humphrey Bogart and just get some sort of Lifetime Achievement award towards the end of our days, when everyone gets all embarassed and can't remember why we didn't win any prizes for anything specific before. *grin*
Lissande
Member # 350

aspectre...you must be thinking of some other charming, shockingly brilliant and mind-blowingly beautiful jatraquera. I don't remember who it was that started the thread, but now that you mention it, wasn't the first last-post thread the one where no one wanted to let anyone else bear the pain of killing a thread (which it turned out we were all deathly afraid of) and so people kept posting so as to spare the feelings of the person immediately preceding them? I'd forgotten about that. [Smile]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon, what kind of guy would have a name like "The Pixiest"??

Tom, It was the Tornado comment. Like we all live in Trailer parks or something.

Honestly I've met more people who live in double wides since moving to California than I knew growing up in Arkansas.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to call Ralphie's attention to the above post, as it applies to her observation (at 3:42PM on the 11th) regarding the absence of presumably optional conditional smileys. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nope. Noemon and CT agreeing on everything and complimenting each other about it is definitely a part of Hatrack Legend.
But, Lissande, he's always right.

[Big Grin]

I do like the colors and layout of Target more than WalMart, but really my tastes are so very very refined that I can't tell much difference between the products they carry. If I cannot have a Fortuny silk dress, of what possible relevance is the choice between one cotton shirt and another? If I cannot have an original Rodin, why on earth would I care whether I used a $10 or $30 lamp?

Tom, elitist? Ha, ha! I laugh. Actually, it's the highest form of elitist snobbery that drives me to shop at Goodwill and the Salvation Army (and, less rarely than my husband would like, stop the car en route to pull something useful-looking out of a dumpster).

That, and the desire to leave as few material traces on the world as possible, since I expect to step through a time/space wormhole sometime soon, and the fewer material inconsistencies this would create, the easier on the tummy. Paradoxes are so hard to digest. [Wink]

[ December 13, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I really do love to shop secondhand. Part of the beauty of wood is the way it ages, how it curves and colors with use, how the stroking of hands polishes to the smoothest sheen. Secondhand clothes rarely shrink with washing -- they are pre-softened, the seams flattened and the colors well-fixed.

Practice makes this more fun, as with any skill. I can spot cashmere from feet away, but I prefer to close my eyes and run my fingers along the close-packed shoulders of the hanging sweaters. Cashmere is barely-there, and good cashmere is pill-free. Really good cashmere only continues to soften with hand-washing, and the best cashmere can be worn in spring or fall, in winter layers, and in all but the nakedest of summers. Secondhand has taught me how to choose my cashmere.

Raw silk has the slight roughness of a true oyster pearl. It is unmistakable.

Hand-blown glass has slight imperfections which set off the form. The waviness of the hand-blown and cut glass bowl on my counter perfectly sets off the curve of the apples inside.

Secondhand lets you get exactly what you want. Maybe not today, but over the course of building a wardrobe or nesting a home, it certainly does. You aren't limited to the latest fads and trends. Classic French enameled cookware, rather than the cheap modern aluminum; tightly-knit Hudson's Bay wool blanket, soft and water-impervious, rather than friable acrylic; and timeless cookbooks like the Poor Poet's, rather than the latest craze for burned nouvelle. Or whatever.

Good grief, I love secondhand. If I must forgo being painted by DaVinci, being clothed by Fortuny, and being sung to by Leonard Cohen, at least I can make my selection from the best available, over decades rather than the days (or hours?) of fashion trends.

[I guess Target's pretty good for batteries, but my most beautiful things don't need batteries. The pager, however, does. And secondhand litter has very little to offer me, with even less to offer the cats. So I'm with Tom on the commodities part. Still, he's not nearly snobby enough to shop at the St Vincent DePaul Dig&Save -- clothes, $1 a pound -- on a regular basis. [Wink] ]

[ December 13, 2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

But I am serious about the time/space wormhole. When I disappear off the face of the earth, you'll know where I went.

Er, rather, you won't know where. Or when. Neither will I, at least at first.

(Isn't it exciting? [Big Grin] )

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Still, he's not nearly snobby enough to shop at the St Vincent DePaul Dig&Save -- clothes, $1 a pound -- on a regular basis."

Sadly, in my case, it's not snobbery (or lack thereof) that prevents me from purchasing secondhand clothes, but rather the limitations of physics; clothes that are too small for me in the Dig&Save bin will remain too small for me at home. [Frown]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tom, you just need the right pair of eyes looking for you. I could fit a 7-foot tall kangaroo with an extra head out of the Dig & Save. (That's the kangaroo which has the extra head, mind. I've never found an extra head at St Vincent DePaul. Not yet. [Angst] )
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, when's the last time you slept? I think you're hallucinating [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

mack, I've been up since 3am. It's one of those days.

The hallucination about the head? No, man, I was just joking.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See!

I'm not a man.

--I--

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[edited for propriety]

[ December 13, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

On the plus side, a head at the Dig&Save would cost less than a head anywhere else, and would probably be only slightly discolored.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(mackillian, that was boorishly crude reference visual humor. I withdraw the comment and respectfully beg pardon. [Frown] )
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tom, 50 cents a pound on Wednesdays. Can't beat that for a head price, nowheres.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh my gosh, mackillian, it just occurred to me that you might have thought I meant you could look like a man, if one looked at you cross-eyed. Good grief, woman, it never even crossed my mind.

I meant that your visual symbol above had certain man-parts-ish look to it. I couldn't figure out why this made you sad (affronted, perhaps, or the classic o_O , but not sad).

Is that what you thought? I must send you you an email. [Frown]

mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Some ass called me sir yesterday.

I don't get it. I have a feminine body and a feminine face. I wear girl clothes.

But people see short hair, even though it's cut in a girl way, and think "Boy."

Though, I'd be a very...um...fruity boy.

And I can't just grow my hair out--I look silly with longer hair. Short hair suits my face.

Which apparently isn't feminine enough. [Frown]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

oh, mack, I'm so sorry. No, I was comparing the "bird" to a penis.

Crude coarse humor, and I'm sorry. It took a lot of thinking really hard to figure out what could have made you sad. (Obviously, the thought of you as remotely unfeminine is very hard for me to grasp as a concept.)

The [Monkeys] part was just being juvenile.

Very sorry. I do know better, anyway. [No No]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It was the putting "see!" right above a phallic symbol that got me giggling.

[Today I will do some penance. [Frown] ]

[ December 13, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

mackillian
Member # 586

I get it.

I was just reacting to stupid people from yesterday. I'm really getting tired of that assumption that short hair=boy.

When someone addresses me as "sir" I usually make it a point to glance down at my chest.

I just don't get THAT.

[ December 13, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Now that I think about it (again), it must also have something to do with the crap I got as a kid because I was a tomboy. [Roll Eyes] Southern girls tend not to approve of tomboys, so I got a ton of torment from them. Of course, this developed into a harsh self-image and no confidence in my body.

A lot has changed since then, and while I still have a harsh self-image, it's a bit better from the initiave I've taken to improve my thought processes and even improving my physical image (wearing clothing that fits to my form instead of hiding it, working out, etc).

So even with that, I suppose I'm sensitive.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm so sorry for triggering the extra stress.

For what it's worth, I had to get really really creative to get it. *tackle handshake*

mackillian
Member # 586

Nah, no stress. Am fine [Smile]

Aren't you going to GO GET SOME SLEEP?

*tackle*

Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in the line of anti-Walmart. This is one of the most informative articles that I have found on the subject.

The Walmart You Don't Know.

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Wal-Mart has a big pencil," says Garson. "They have such awesome purchasing power that they write their own ticket. If they don't like your prices, they'll go vertical and do it themselves--or they'll find someone that will meet their terms."
The bastards.

From the article:

quote:
There is very little academic and statistical study of Wal-Mart`s impact on the health of its suppliers and virtually nothing in the last decade, when Wal-Mart`s size has increased by a factor of five.
So the article is based on a couple anecdotes? Even with the "bad" things they say about Wal-Mart, it reads, to me, as praise.

They require the companies it buys from to meet high standards? Damn them. Companies do business with Wal-Mart to boost dismal sales, yet choose not to leave when the relationship stops benefitting them? Burn WallyWorld!

If you aren't making any money selling to Wal-Mart, for God's sake, stop selling to them! WM is going to keep lowering prices and searching for the best deal, but it's eventually going to have to balance out. If some already diminishing companies go out of business in the balancing process because they get greedy and can't resist selling to Wal-Mart, oh well.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to Wal-Mart, but it expanded into a supercenter (with true popular demand, though) and now it's much too crowded there, and Target never has what I want. So now I just go to the mall. All I ever get at any of these places is music, books, and video games; and the mall has a Sam Goody, Barnes & Noble, and Gamestop. Plus, it has the food court, and you can't beat a Subway sandwhich for supper and a Dairy Queen blizzard for dessert.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to call Ralphie's attention to the above post, as it applies to her observation (at 3:42PM on the 11th) regarding the absence of presumably optional conditional smileys. [Smile]
Okay, Tom. I give up.

Just as I think you've been broken of this habit, someone comes along and deliberately misinterprets your comments and blows the whole thing to hell. I can't fight against the anal retentives masquerading as freedom fighters. They win.

Keep your smilies for self-preservation purposes. Just know that everytime you must post a "j/k" or " [Wink] ," there's a forlorn Ralphie, crying quietly to herself in the corner.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.