FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bronze Age City Found?

Author Topic: Bronze Age City Found?
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
As a child, I wanted to be a palentologist or an archaeologist. As an adult (well, almost adult), I have a pretty healthy obsession with history, so I found this to be rather intriguing.

Bronze Age City found in Greece

[ December 12, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that place is older than the Earth!!!

Cool!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's great! I want to read a more in-depth article on it. I'll start googling, and will be browsing the table of contents on all of the Archaeology magazines at my local bookstore for the next few months.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

???

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An article on excavations at both the Classical and prehistoric sites at Helike is scheduled for publication in the January issue of Archaeology, the magazine of the Archaeological Institute of America.
Can't wait for the article to come out! [Smile]
DISCOVERIES AT ANCIENT HELIKE

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, I read it wrong. I thought they said the place was from 4,500 BC, not that it was 4,500 years old.

Okay, so the Earth was around for 1,500 years before this place was built. Still...I think that deserves some sort of special mention. Don't you?

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Christy! You just saved me all sorts of legwork. I really need to subscribe to that one, but it's so expensive!

I'm also toying with subscribing to Antiquity, but I can't quite decide if I'm interested enough in Archaeology to pay $70 for a quarterly (even if it is the premier academic Archaeology journal). I wonder if the local college gets it? I'll have to check.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you've been reading Bishop Usher's Bible again, haven't you? ^_~

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it's just a publicity stunt by Wolfgang Peterson.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We subscribe to Archaeology because we enjoy it so much, but it is expensive. Actually, a lot of their material is on the website I linked to as well, though. *laugh*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I was noticing that! I've bookmarked the site.

Still, I'd like to get the magazine as well. I may just go with Antiquity though. More cutting edge archaeology news for my dollar.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

The Earth is 10,000 years old, not 5,000!

Some people are so stupid, it infuriates me!

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

(Sorry--6,000. Simple math eror)
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The earth is either 6,003 years old or 12,003 years old. It depends on whether you apply the Southern Baptist fudge factor or not.

There's no 10,000 or 5,000 though. That's heresy!

Unbeliever!!!!!

Apostate!!!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

oops, sorry, you posted while I was working up my religious fervor. You are forgiven. But watch it next time. I almost called a jihad on your @ss!!!

Close one!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 5764. But who's counting? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

STONE THE HERETIC!!!!

So, um, where'd you get that number?

rivka
Member # 4859

Off my calendar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]

DXM

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...that place is older than the Earth!!!"

Occam's Razor. The city was built, then got a bunch of Earth dumped on top of it.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

rivka...oh yeah. I forgot.

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

That I have calendars? [Wink]

Clearly, you have never seen my collection. While not as impressive as my mother's, I do have half a dozen or so, scattered around the place.

Some of them are even hung up. [Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I was referring to the fact that your calendar might show the year you indicated, not the one based on the papal decrees over the years.
rivka
Member # 4859

I know. [Smile] But if I put too many [Wink] s in my posts, Ralphie'll come after me. [Angst]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]

There can never be too many smilies. 8 is the limit.

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
:determines to read posts more carefully:

[ December 17, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

So I was right all along!!!

I knew it!!!

Yippee!!!

Older than the Earth! How could they "find" a city that's older than the Earth?

God is messing with our carbon dating again folks! I think we should protest by burning all the science books and Bibles!!!

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really amazing...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

[The Wave]
__ [The Wave]
______ [The Wave]
__________ [The Wave]
______________ [The Wave]
__________________ [The Wave]
______________________ [The Wave]
__________________________ [The Wave]

[ December 17, 2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I feel like I'm watching A Chorus Line
Boothby171
Member # 807

As long as you don't feel like you're watching "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen;" I'd hate to be responsible for that.

--Steve

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

People actually watch that? [Angst] [Eek!]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.