FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pride, Arrogance, or What?

Author Topic: Pride, Arrogance, or What?
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, so I just got back from the thread I posted about my acceptance at Georgetown(Wooohooo!) and I noticed that when I was asked what my grades and test scores were, I had a sudden fear of answering because it would be boasting. However, I logically know that I was asked a question and there would be nothing wrong with answering it, and that I should take pride in my accomplishments. Why then, should I be afraid of saying these things? I feel (emotionally) like pride is something that is not to be encouraged because it is vain or arrogant. But everyone says you need a sense of self worth, and where else but your accomplisments are you going to get it?

As you can see, I'm mightily confused. Does posting what I did to get into Georgetown make me vain? Should I feel reticent about saying this kind of thing to other people? My logical thougts and my emotions are conflicting wildly here.

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it makes perfect sense to be proud of those things, and I really think talking about your accomplishments becomes bragging or boasting when you mention accomplishments excessively, or compare them to others with less accoplishments, like if you had said "I don't know about it being Harvard but my SAT scores are 770 verbal and 660 math, for a combined 1430, so what were your scores?" but you didn't seem to be doing anything of the kind.

I think it sounds like you have accomplished quite a bit to be proud of, and I hope things go well for you at Georgetown. Congradulations. [Hat]

Well that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your scores and stats are only important in that they produced the result. But if you want to post them, I think you should label the thread accordingly. Edit: My mom would never tell me my IQ, and to this day she claims she "forgot" it [Mad]

[ December 14, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Canadian here, and I'm only vaguely familiar with the SATs, I thought 1430 is only a good score, not great or anything to boast about. Am I wrong?
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While it's true that the SATs were made considerably easier a few years ago, a 1430 is still a fantastic score. In the old days, the average was around 1000; I think it's still something like 1200. A perfect score is 1600, and is VERY rare.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Well, four years ago, I took them because my parents wanted me to. I didn't study or prepare, I didn't think my score was anything special; it seemed pretty easy and intuitive to me. I guess I was wrong.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of the worth or lack thereof of my SAT scores, what do you think constitutes boasting? Where does one draw the line?

(in other words, stop deraling the thread! [Smile] )

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the question is what constitutes boasting. Hmm. I'm going to plead the fifth.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> I think it's safe to say that you will not be boasting overly much if you post your score. It might not represent all that great a score on the hatrack scale, after all. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl that sat next to me in 7th grade social studies got a 1600 on hers when we got older.

I still say it was my influence that got her there.

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

I think you can post your score without worrying about being called arrogant, or being accused of gloating. The way you talk about your score makes the difference in my mind.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regardless of the worth or lack thereof of my SAT scores, what do you think constitutes boasting? Where does one draw the line?
Well, I believe that answering questions on a form truthfully is just doing the right thing. However, telling people on a messageboard that you were afraid you were boasting by using your astronomically high grades on a form, now that is boasting. Of course, it it's nothing compared to actually posting the numbers.

(The above should not be taken seriously.)

Anyway, I'd say the real difference lies in whether or not you were asked to give your information, and if asked, and if it was a face-to-face encounter, the tone of voice, posture, gestures, etc. you used when answering.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you were bragging and you certainly did not come across as arrogant. You shared your test scores and grades in a specific context where it was perfectly appropriate.

I've had this same dilemna a lot, myself. I went to Columbia and my best friend, Cara, went to William & Mary - both great schools. Most people blink or smile vaguely when she tells them where she went and they ooh and aah when I say I went to Columbia. It's always upset me because I know it makes Cara feel bad. Also, she's smarter than I am and could have gone to an Ivy League school if she had wanted to. I'm proud of my school, but I don't think it's a greater achievement than Cara's. And yet I get showered with praise and she doesn't. It happens so much, that I usually just say I went to college in New York to avoid all the fuss.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
At least they're adding this new essay to SAT's. We took a look at some of the essays from when they were testing out the test, and the ones that made a perfect score--well, it'll be easy, I think.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft! Brag as much as you want to! There's enough sad stuff in the world. Be happy! Be proud! We will rejoice with you!

I, for one, want to hear all about it. Hearing about other people's TRIUMPHS always inspires me. I have ambitions, and I love to see how other people have been able to chase their dreams.

So, you go! [The Wave]

Bragging is when you are trying to insult someone with the information you share. Otherwise, it's just you sharing something you are proud of. What's wrong with being proud of an accomplishment?

[ December 15, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While it's true that the SATs were made considerably easier a few years ago
GRE too, right? I'm thinking it HAS to have been made considerably easier.

Even though my lazy proofreading skills did knock me down.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.