FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'So, what do YOU drive?' 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 'So, what do YOU drive?' 2
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Bob knows how to roll. That makes my Vino look like trash.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Tercel. It's underpowered.

. . .

0 to 60 in about 2 minutes. [Big Grin]

Seriously, though, I like my car. It gets me where I need to go, and it gets really good gas milage.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
A 1985 Burgundy Volvo 240.

Hey, it was cheap.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Claws
Member # 5906

- posted      Profile for Santa Claws   Email Santa Claws         Edit/Delete Post 
A 1895 Sleigh with 32 hoof drive, and an 8dp (deer powered) engine under the hood. Trust me, this baby flies.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 92 Chevy corsica.
It's rusty, and has problems startign sometimes, but it works.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a currently filthy 1999 Chrysler Town and Country Limited.

My little brother totalled my "baby". My first car that I was planning on restoring one of these days. It was a 1976 V-8 Plymouth Volare, robin-egg blue and affectionately known as the smurfmobile. May it rest in peace. It died taking out a Mercedes-Benz so I guess it had a glorious ending.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You should kiss the ground your brother walks on. Restoring a Robin's Egg blue Plymouth Volare would've cost you an arm and a leg and you would've still had a Robin's Egg blu Plymouth Volare at the end of it all.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Trek 1000 [Evil] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Black 2003 Kia Spectra GSX.

Love my car. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m. bowles
Member # 3743

- posted      Profile for m. bowles   Email m. bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
A 2003 Volkswagen Beetle- color: Sunflower Yellow. I love it!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
When it came time to replace my Metro, already a replacement itself (and a sucky one at that), I knew I wanted a Subaru. I knew I wanted a standard. I was hoping for a few certain bonuses such as a cd player and heated leather seats. I got it all and more in my black and gold, Limited Edition '99 Outback. Disregarding the huge debt and expensive maintenance, she fits me like a glove, and I won't give her up at least until she's paid for.

p.s. I think Elements are ugly, but you can't deny the roominess.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<insert roominess denial here>
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't deny the roomines of a refridgerator box, either.

And it's much prettier.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the nicest regular(not overly expensive) cars I have seen are Pontiac Grand Prixs and Grand Ams, toyota avalons(this is my car), subaru WRX sedans, and the new Isuzu trooper(I can't believe it looks good now).
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
2002 Dark Green VW Jetta. Absoluetly no options, but I love it anyway.

The Honda element is a crime against nature. It is quite possibly the worst looking automobile I have ever had the displeasure of beholding.

Given that, if you like it, more power to you. Just avoid me. [Razz]

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
1993 Black Toyota Camry LE. Only 80,000 miles but everything is starting to just come apart. Speakers fall off, locks don't work, I lose my front left hubcap about once a week... Almost time for a new car.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

The Avalon is choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has a 1984 Toyota pickup with about 50k miles on it. No joke.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

There is no way to kill an old Toyota pickup. I left mine to my little sister who drove it and supposedly killed it. With my permission my parents went to trade it in and get a few hundred bucks out of it. Turns out the dealer replaced the alternator and the thing runs better than when I was abusing it. It's like those Pet Cemetery movies.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my mother's old '96 Crown Vic, navy blue with a yellow paint smear over the driver's side front wheel (in my defense, I only had my permit). I call it GIR (from InvaderZIM), but Correlle calls it 'the land tank with a big rear'.

This is how I see it: It's big enough to fit all of my friends comfortably, the radio and a/c work, and if anyone pokes too much fun at my car, the trunk's big enough to fit the body. Two or three, actually. [Wink]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got an 03 BMW. My dad bought it for half price at $28,000 which in my opinion, is pretty steep for a stupid car.

I have been waiting four years for a lime green buggy but my parents kept prodding me to take that other car. [Mad]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hand-me-down car from my brother. A green 2000 Toyota Corolla complete with a huge ink stain above the passenger side visor. This reminds me that I really need to clean it out when I get back home. No one could sit in the back at the moment with all the stuff in there.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it isn't a major derail...

Anyone like to suggest a GM product that 6' 6" person might fit into and is enjoyable enough to drive? Price is a consideration, so I'm afraid I cannot take suggestions of either Cadillacs or Hummers.

Feyd Baron, DoC
(Department of Culture)

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be easier just to cut you off at the knees.....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, he'll have trouble driving without feet. Just remove about 30 cm from the middle.

[Edit: Too many prepositions!]

[ December 16, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville, red with a dark blue spoiler and mag wheels. Actually pretty nice looking. We bought it off the street three years ago. It has a 3.6L 6 cylinder engine and gets up hills. Full leather interior and traction control. A computerized climate control system that does not work very well. And the traction control module went out last year and turned on a light on the dashboard, which meant I failed the safety inspection. I found a used module from a junkyard in Oregon for $200. New ones from the Pontiac dealer cost $700. Argh.

Next car I get will have good old fashioned knobs and dials and no fancy computerized traction control.

I actually think the Element is kind of cute in a pseudo-granola/beetlish kind of way. It's not that ugly. The Aztec, on the other hand, is an abomination, as is just about everything Cadillac is making these days. The Ford Focus is also ugly.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

GMC/Chevy full size trucks or vans might work.

Otherwise, the only one is going to be the Impala, and maybe then only the older ones. My guess anyway.

Or you could do as suggested and buy a car with T-Tops. Wear goggles though.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
2003 Black Centennial Model Ford Explorer

It's nice for me to now be married. My previous vehicle was a 1987 maroonishy dull dodge plymouth van. I could take most of the kids on my daughters soccer team along with me, and some of their parents as well. No kidding! I hated it.

Before that I drove a Saab. I loved that car! I knew I'd really hit mommy maturedom when I sold it and bought the van.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
<--Likes the new Cadillacs. Especially the XLR.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Bob, the Blue Volare was in mint condition. I bought it from a 91 year old lady for $800. It had about 50,000 miles on it at the time of the crash and only 38,000 miles on it when I bought it.

It's original upholstery was in perfect condition except for one seam that the original thread broke and you could see the foam underneath. I could have resewn it myself but I didn't get around to it. The 91 year old lady kept these ugly plastic seat covers on it from the day she got it and when I pulled them off, it was like new. The seats were extremely comfortable compared to modern seats. The back seat was more comfortable than a couch and one of the only car seats that I have ever seen that was truly comfortable enough to make out in. Alas, I never got to try it out for that purpose.

The only repairs it needed, were minor rust repair (which we actually had done) dent removal of two dents (one which I put in, the other which my brother contributed to) a new paint job and new vinyl on the roof. Really wouldn't have cost terribly much.

AJ

I could beat anybody off the stoplight line in that car with that V-8, though you could watch the gas gauge drop as I accelerated. <sigh>

[ December 16, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Until about a month and a half ago, I was verily happily driving a 99 Toyota Corolla. Then some guy rammed me and stole my wallet.

Now I have a new driver's license, a new wallet, and a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. I was very nervous about getting the Lancer, since Consumer Reports didn't have enough data to rate anything but its ride, which it didn't care for, but I have to say I'm loving it. It is in absolutely pristine condition--it looks like it just rolled off the factory floor--and has 27,000 miles on it.

The remote keyless entry on it has an incredibly long range. It's pretty fun making it honk from clear across the parking lot.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
2002 Chevy Sierra Z-71. Its the coolest truck ever. Its got buttons I still haven’t figured out yet. Heated leather seats. (Awesome on those cold mornings. ) The one button 4WD comes in really handy in bad weather. And it gets almost 14 miles to the gallon. I can drive across the country for only 137.000 dollars. Can’t beat that baby. I will never drive a car again. Until I’m rich and can buy my 64 corvette of course.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Impala is certainly one of the cars I'm looking at (It's one of the top two really). Sadly enough, I don't fit in the newer Bonnevilles. Oddly enough, I do fit in the smaller Grand Prix (It's a head room issue, not leg room).

I've looked at full sized trucks (mostly Dodge, which I know isn't GM), as well as the GMC Envoy. Both of those work, but I'd probably call them out of my price range. Even with full-sized trucks, unless it is an extended cab, I have leg room issues (it's the bench seat layout that causes that problem).

What I'm currently driving is a Land Yacht (95 Park Avenue), which is great for long road trips, but leaves something to be desired for city driving.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

In my defense I present this
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy *crap* that's an ugly car--inside and out!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2002 Chevy Sierra Z-71. Its the coolest truck ever. Its got buttons I still haven’t figured out yet. Heated leather seats. (Awesome on those cold mornings. ) The one button 4WD comes in really handy in bad weather. And it gets almost 14 miles to the gallon. I can drive across the country for only 137.000 dollars. Can’t beat that baby. I will never drive a car again. Until I’m rich and can buy my 64 corvette of course.
Whoa, and I'm embarrassed that my Volvo only gets 23 miles to the gallon!

Driving across the country = 3,000 miles.
You need 214 gallons to drive across the country.
In OK, gas is $1.25, but that's some of the cheapest in the US. In the rest of the country you'd be looking at about $1.50/gallon or more.
So, at an average of $1.50 a gallon, this drive across the country would cost you $321 in gas. In my Volvo station wagon, it would be about $195, and in a Honda Prius it would be $88.

It may be a good truck, but it sure ain't fuel-efficient. [Smile]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 1993 Toyota Corolla. 170,000 miles.

But the luxury of this item is that it's paid for. Nothing is as luxurious as having no payments.

efrum

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Black Mage-- I am so jealous! [Hail]

I drive a 1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette mini-van that is falling apart [Roll Eyes] Oh well, at least we have two cars now!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I parked next to one of THESE yesterday in line at the car wash, and this has to be the ugliest car I've ever seen in my life (except for the Pacer, which used to be the ugliest car before they quit making it). This is much worse than the Element.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
For those jealous of Black Mage (and who actually believe him), here is the opportunity to own your VERY OWN.

(kinda reminds me of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Feyd,

I've heard the 96' Impala SS is great for us tall guys. It's also probably the only car that looks cool with spinners. [Razz]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
1994 Chrysler Town and Country, fully loaded. I love it! It's the perfect Mom-mobile, except for being too old to have dual side sliding doors.

In the next year or so, I'll get hubby's 2002 Trailblazer (also fully loaded, we got a great deal on it), and we'll get him a sedan for his commute.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't decide which is uglier—the Infiniti FX or its twin sister, the Nissan Murano.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I now drive a '01 Hyundai Elantra for my long commute to work.

Alas, my wife now drives my '97 Grand Cherokee. [Frown]

And now with Ryan, she's starting the push to trade it in for a mini-van. Are there truly great benefits to driving a mini-van over an SUV if you're a mom?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

YES!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not an SUV fan in any case, so I'd pick a minivan over an SUV with or without kids.

But there are definite advantages. SUVs are generally harder to get in and out of, ESPECIALLY while lugging a baby carrier or toddler.

Besides, nothing says "future soccer mom" quite like a minivan!

BrianM
Member # 5918

Also, the new Chevy Malibus and Monte Carlos look really good.

Ugly = any mitsubishi or import with those nasty, giant spoilers bolted on

[ December 17, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

zgator...check out the Nissan Quest.

And the biggest advantage I can see with today's minivans are:

1) Dual side sliding doors for easy access and flow-thru ventilation while cleaing up barf.

2) bucket seats in the 2nd row. Most SUVs don't have that.

3) Removable rear seat with cavernous space in back.

But minivans are not that good looking and they just scream "sacrificial parent on board."

Oh well.

rivka
Member # 4859

CU has recommended the Odyssey every year for almost 10 years now. But the Quest is nice too.

I actually quite like the look of the late-90s Odysseys. The newer ones have that whole skirt-thing happening. *shudders*

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.