FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In praise of Jar-Jar Binx

Author Topic: In praise of Jar-Jar Binx
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
(or is it Binks?).

Anyway, I got a copy of SW ep.I and watched it last night. I have to say that Jar Jar kind of grew on me in the time since my last viewing of this movie. Here's why:

1) He provided some much needed comic relief. I think without him the movie would've been mostly humorless. The droids are supposed to supply that role, but now R2D2 and C3PO are venerated characters and it woudn't work to make them silly.

2) He makes the other Gungans seem believable and normal. If it weren't for Jar Jar, I think we all would've had major complaints about how the Gungans just seemed ridiculous and not very realistic. But with Jar Jar there, the counterpoint of him versus the other Gungans helps to make them seem like reasonable characters.

He also gets us used to the way the Gungans talk so that by the time the ones come along that actually advance the plot, we can more easily understand them.

3) He has a good heart, but is just goofy and too nervous. I think the force kind of likes him. Helps things work out in his favor because he's just a bumbling goof with a good heart.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's my favorite part of the movie or anything, but he's not as horrid as I originally thought.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Jar is a decent character. In 20 years he'll probably be classic. I think people just take their Star Wars too seriously these days
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there needed to be comic relief. I guess Lucas made him hideous so that the CGI work wouldn't be instantly outdated. Also, we already had fuzzy coming from the nose by the end of the the middle trilogy.

What I really miss, when I look at classic SW, is Han Solo. Young Kenobi tries, but he is stuck in that "I'm going to be Alec Guiness someday" mode.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
You disgust me.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talkin' to ME? [Laugh] Don't you have some dead people to ferry or something?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Han Solo was always my favorite too.

Or R2

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
and im sorry, when Jar Jar went to Frog tongue another piece of fruit and QuiGon grabs his tongue mid snatch, that was funny.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Little do you realize, SWIII, JarJar, not Palpintine, will become the Evil Emporer, master of all Sith, and most evil being ever..
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
JarJaromir
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you spelled both of my names wrong.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to poke fun at my Fett-loving friend by suggesting that Jar Jar will become Boba Fett. Sadly, it was not to be.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
BrianM, that was hilarious.

Embryo Palpitate???

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping that by misspelling your name, I would not gain your attention. Kind of like, not naming the devil, lest he hear you.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
Electro-Magnetic Pulse?

Empowered Pro-lifers?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we already had fuzzy coming from the nose by the end of the the middle trilogy.
You don't understand how many times I had to re-read this, do you?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't understand what that means.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewoks run amuck

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite motivational phrases from high school:

"There is no I in team, but there is a me, so as long as you talk about yourself in the objective sense you're fine. And always remember, team, that there is no I in teamwork, but there is most definitely an ewok."
-speech coah Margo Duneman.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.