FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirates of the Carribbean (I finally saw it)

Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribbean (I finally saw it)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve rented two movies this weekend. The first Lara Croft II was a real yawner, that had us laughing most of the way through, because the *cool* action scenes dragged on for forever and a day so that adolescent boys who play video games could watch Angelina Jolie's fake breasts bounce. (Her own weren't big enough to give the correct sillouette so they gave her inserts.)

The second, was Pirates ofthe Carribean, which I hadn't yet watched despite all of the good hatrackian reviews.

My observations.

Wow, Disney actually made a good Disney movie that wasn't done by Pixar!

Orlando Bloom can actually act! (I wasn't sure because of LotR and TTT.)

But he's not a convincing blacksmith, not at all, not big enough shoulders. He should have been looking like a cover in the Alvin series.

Johnny Depp is still sexy even if he is a Pirate Looking at 40. I may speak blasphemy but I prefer him to Orlando Bloom.

The leading actress reminded me of Buttercup even though they look nothing alike.

In fact the whole movie reminded me of Princess' Bride even though they weren't really alike.

I'd definitely consider getting the DVD now, though I was skeptical before!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Johnny Depp is still sexy even if he is a Pirate Looking at 40. I may speak blasphemy but I prefer him to Orlando Bloom.
I am SO totally with you on that one!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We tried to rent it all last week and couldn't. Now I just don't care anymore. I think I've got a major case of apathy.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Pooka, you'll get over your case of Apathy.

or you won't.

Doesn't really matter which, does it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Anna, IIRC, the breasts on display in Tomb Raider II are supposedly the "real" breasts, sans prosthetics; Jolie is on record as saying that she tired of the ridiculously huge padded breasts she had to wear for the first Tomb Raider, and insisted that they eliminate the padding for the sequel.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I hadn't heard that Tom, maybe that is why they were bouncing more effectively. Either way the camera angles were definitely planned to maximize the jiggle.

Angelina Jolie is a much better actress than that film deserves. There was one scene where her facial expressions were unbeliveable displaying a range of emotions with just a close up of her face alone. The thing is that the nature of the movie squelches all the actual acting she could have done and replaces it with action instead.

I did like the feminine James Bondish lines they gave her though!

AJ

[ December 15, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Orlando Bloom can act!? We saw two different movies, lady. O_o;

Other than that, it was good. I suppose OB acted a little bit more than he did in LotR... (I love acronyms)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Procrastination
Member # 4821

- posted      Profile for Procrastination           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, pooka... you'll get around to it one of these days. [Taunt]
Posts: 75 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
"You cheated!"

"I'm a pirate."

Nearly died. [ROFL]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp is endowed with nice eyes.

I noticed Orlando Bloom's lack of backsmith shoulders too. I thought, if he makes so many fantastic swords, why are his shoulders so tinsy?

Whatever, I really like the movie. [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
and very expressive lips.mmm

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I may speak blasphemy but I prefer him to Orlando Bloom.
Oh, I so agree with that one !
What if I tell you that I saw Love Actually and I prefered Alan Rickman to Hugh Grant ? [Wink]

[ December 16, 2003, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I preferred Alan Rickman as well. He was an idiot, but I really felt for them.

********LOVE ACTUALLY SPOILERS***********
Hey, I have a question about Love Actually. What exactly happened with that family? Did he have an affair and move out? Why the heck didn't she say something about finding the necklace. And...... what kind of moron is he? He can't tell the office girl's jerking him around? What on earth is wrong with him?

[ December 16, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

SPOILERS
Total moron, I agree. But since he's always playing bad guys, I guess I should have known... BTW, she talks him about the necklace, after the children play. She asks hims what he would do if he was her, not knowing if it's just a necklace, or a necklace and an affair, or a necklace and love... I think he moved on.

EDIT to add : well, that girl was really showing off, but usually women can tell a girl is lurking around a man far far before men can tell it. They are blind to this, most of the time.

[ December 16, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

SPOILERS

Really? He did?

Holy freak, how is that a love story?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

SPOILERS

It's not exactly one.
I guess it's a way to tell that love is a thing you have to work for. I don't know how it is in America, but here there's too much people who think : OK, I'm in love, that's over, I will live with him/her for the rest of my life in an incredible happiness.
Well, that can't be.
If you don't think about your love, talk often with the person you love - and I mean real discussions and not the "when are we going to eat" type - then love will die. Love is a miracle, and I think it's necessery for a couple to live, but it's not enough. So, no, when you have an argument with your lover, it doesn't mean that "he wasn't the good one". It means that you have to talk and to think and to work for your love. Before it ends in an incredible crap like the couple Alan Rickman and what's-her-name in the movie.
Sounds a little moralist, I guess [Wink]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that is the same in America, too. You may know that my beloved and I are not church-goers or whatever, but our marriage is the defining thing in our lives. As such, it deserves work. A lesser man than my beloved would not have put up with me and my fierce denial of the post-partum depression I had. It could have wrecked us. As a matter of fact, I don't know if _I_ could have faced it, were our situations reversed.

His love has really and truly saved me in ways I can hardly explain, but there are always times it takes work. Spouses shouldn't be, ah, disposeable.

The hubby and I avoid movies with Adulterous themes, esp. ones where adultery is seen as sympathetic. Because that's whack.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to marry Alan Rickman.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So YOU'RE the hussy!
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
I'm going to marry Alan Rickman.
Well, I know it's temptating, but isn't he a little old ? I mean, borm in 44 if I'm not mistaken... And I heard he was living with the same person since 30 years, so I guess none of us really have chances.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I didn't know who Rickman was so I looked him up. Yes he's a good actor but I don't think I could get past him being Snape! I couldn't find any pictures of him on the yahoo movie data base of the character he played in Love Actually. Plus Johnny Depp has definitely got it all over him in physical attributes, IMO. Though I admit I don't like a lot of the characters Johnny Depp has played either and I was able to get past that in PoC.

Aj

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of people (me NOT included) who think Snape (as his character) is hot...

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
_I_ liked Snape... [Embarrassed]
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*tackle hugs pH*

Me, too. Rickman has been in lots of stuff. I don't think of him as Snape. I think of him as a kick-ass casting choice for Snape, though.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Here's a site with some pictures from many of his movies:

http://www.cybamuse.com/movieThemes/actors/arickman/moviepics.htm

BannaOj
Member # 3206

After looking at the pictures, I could see his resemblance to an older Harrison Ford type. Ok, I don't loathe him and I could see how people could be attracted, but I'd still take Johnny Depp.

<grin>

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

I adore Alan Rickman. I love that steady, snarky yumminess.
Olivet
Member # 1104

quote:
but I'd still take Johnny Depp.

Well, DUUUH! [Wink] If somebody was giving out Johnny Depps, I wouldn't turn my nose up.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*tackle-hugged* Eep!

I will take four Johnny Depps, please. They can live in the refrigerator.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*has three pictures of Snape on her wall*
*has this picture on desktop*
*is known on the floor as the girl who loves Alan Rickman*

[ December 16, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

It's not his body which is hot.
It's his VOICE.
Proof : I didn't realize why so many girls found him hot before I saw Harry Potter... in original version. Johnny Deep is more beautiful, indeed. But he hasn't this kind of voice.

[ December 17, 2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Rickman does have a lovely voice. But then so did Alec Guiness. I could listen to either of them talk all day, but they aren't hot...

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I guess it's a question of taste. [Smile] But you see about Alan Rickman I know I'm not the only one thinking his voice is hot, because there's a enormous lot of Alan Rickman's (or Snape's) Fan Club on the Internet, and most of them find him sooo sexy. Well, I'm not this kind of girl (sounds a little like idolatry to me, but then again it's a matter of taste !) but I think this confirms the hotness of the voice for a lot of persons.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

For strict sexiness in Male voices I think I like either high or deep not really in between. The every day voice of an Irish tenor for example on the high end.

On the low end think James Earl Jones or the football announcer on Sports Century NFL films.

AJ

Olivet
Member # 1104

Liam Neeson.

Six foot six, charmingly broken nose, pale blue eyes that just look soo... kind, I guess.

And a voice that just goes straight to the pit of my stomach and grabs hold. He did the narration for the Everest IMAX movie, and I tell you, Freezing to death and losing toes to frostbite never sounded so good. *wiggles eyebrows*

pH- I'll take a Johnny Depp, two Ewan McGregors and a Billy Boyd on the side. [Big Grin]

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Johnny Deep is more beautiful, indeed. But he hasn't this kind of voice.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Anna. Johnny Depp's voice totally makes him way more attractive to me. I went to see a comedy group here at BYU and they did a parody of Pirates. The guy who played Captain Jack Sparrow was AMAZING. Even though his costume was not very good, the fact that he could do the voice *perfectly* had me nearly drooling in my seat. *sigh* Johnny Depp could just talk to me, and I would melt. [Blushing]

As to the whole Alan Rickman thing...Well, to each her own, Ashley. I can see why people think he's attractive in some of his roles, but I just cannot see it in Snape. He's a greasy old man! [Dont Know] Oh well. [Wink]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

If you don't like his being greasy (but it's in the book...) close your eyes... MMMM !

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.