FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tricked into ballet...and liked it!

Author Topic: Tricked into ballet...and liked it!
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
So on Saturday I was in New York City thanks to a free bus trip from my college dorm. I always make an effort to go and see a show when in New York, and this was no exception.

I found myself and two friends in the front row of "Movin' Out" for only $30. About five minutes into the show I figured out that it was a ballet. And you know something, I absolutely loved it!

This is a shock because I never considered myself a ballet guy. I mean, I'm an actor and so I go and see plays and musicals all the time. But the stereotype of "ballet is for girls" was still in my mind. But I have been liberated.

Anyway, now I'm throwing all my power into promoting this show to Hatrack. It's a very interesting premise. The show is based on the songs of Billy Joel (two characters are "Brenda and Eddie" from "Scenes from an Italian Resturaunt").

But the characters are all dancers (very good ones, I must say) who don't speak or sing. Instead, they act out the songs and the implied stories that go along with them as they are sung by a lead vocalist/pianist. He, and the rest of the band, are on a moveable scaffolding that is above the actors for most of the show.

So, I just want to encourage everyone to go see it. It's a great show, and is really different than anything I've seen in a long while on the stage. Of course, if you don't like Billy Joel, you should stay away...meanwhile I'm going to pop "Billy Joel's Greatest Hits" back in my CD player. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a couple of numbers on the Today Show Concert Series once. I was amazed how much the singer sounded like Billy Joel. I think it was choreographed by Twyla Tharp, who was really famous until the Lion King show came along. It has some ballet elements, but I thought it was mostly modern dance. At least of the numbers I saw. But do by all means try more ballet and see what you think. I was a big ballet fan in college. Don't judge the artform by The Nutcracker .
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- huge billy joel fan

hmm I wonder when it is coming to Chicago

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I apologize for calling it "ballet". It's the only word that came to me to describe the format of the show. Basically, it's a dance show. Don't know if there's a better word for it or not. [Dont Know]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So do I have to turn in my male badge, or am I a super sexy man, if I admit to having gone to see The Nutcracker and Giselle in the past year, and enjoyed them both (particularly Giselle)?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I love ballet and dance! But on to the bigger issue... you know, Chris, you are now required to come to the NYC gathering next semester.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was recently tricked into being in a ballet...or so he claims...

efrum

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Ballet is fun. I just got finished doing my annual stint as props mistress for "The Nutcracker: The Mouse Queen's Revenge" in Fresno. Five performances in three days over the weekend.

Anyway, as the bumper sticker on one dancer's car says: "If ballet were any easier, it would be called...Football." Ballet dancers are the best-conditioned athletes I know of.

Edited for tortured syntax.

[ December 17, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I'm required, am I? Hmmm...I dunno if I like the sound of that... [Taunt]
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... New York? I'd suggest trying out the American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet - both very good companies/schools with wonderful reputations. They also both have a rather contemporary ballet repetoire (Balanchine, etc.) that tends to be constantly updated. As for "The Nutcracker" - do NOT, under any condition, see ABT's production. I danced with them in that production when they toured here in DC and I can honestly say that, as a dancer, I've never been so embarrassed to be performing. All glitz and glammour with more emphasis on flashy scenery and costumes than on the dancers themselves. Anyway... I also highly recommend companies specializing in modern dance (think ballet with a touch of jazz or club-style dancing. VERY fun to dance and usually a good show to watch if you know where to go) such as Alvin Ailey or the Dance Project or Paul Taylor's company or... hehe, too many to name. You could also go for foreign touring companies - always interesting and tons of fun. ...In other words: spread out. There are lots of styles of dance and ballet is just one of them.

Edit: Yay Bok! I love Giselle. Beautiful ballet and lots of fun roles. [Smile]

[ December 17, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ballet rules!

Of course, I'm biased. I danced ballet for ten years or so.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That explains why you went to Wash U. They are the St. Louis Modern Dance Company.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.