FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quality Fast Food (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Quality Fast Food
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, katharina!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Anybody have Taco Cabana around them? They have great fastfood TexMex. Also, pretty much any taqueria is going to be fast, cheap and not poisoness. That plus the fact that they're located every two blocks in South Texas makes them a staple.

What about cafeteria style restuarants? Less than 10 minutes to get food, not too terribly expensive. If they count, I nominate Jason's Deli for the best fast food ever. Ok, I take that back, what about BBQ places? The food is all already cooked and takes no time. So, Goode Company BBQ, Pappa's BBQ or Luther's would all be in the top for me.

Oooh oooh, what about Taco Keto? I love those. It's just a trailer that's outfitted with a small grill and some friers that they park in random parking lots in the not so good parts of town and make some of the best tortas around. Mmmm, gotta love a good torta. Anybody have Taco Keto around them?

Jason's Deli was on my list. [Smile]

Taco Cabana, ick. BBQ, ditto. But then, I don't like Tex-Mex or BBQ. [Wink]

I'm always up for a good torta, but my favorite will always be the very authentic Tortas Mexico, so while I'll take your word that Taco Keto is good, I won't believe it's as good as Tortas Mexico. [Wink]

I forgot Steak N Shake earlier. Not quite In-N-Out, but close.

And if anyone is in the North Dallas area, the Grand Cafe in Richardson was my absolute favorite. Lebanese (and some American) fast food grill (shish kabob, shish tawook, shish kafta, falafel, all available as sandwiches or combo plates with pita, hummus, rice, salad, and soup, or very good hamburgers and chicken sandwiches) available to go (call ahead and your order will be ready when you get there) or to eat in (they expanded a couple of years back and it's nicer than ever.) The owner and his family (besides his wife, five boys and a grandson!) are Good People. When my dad visited us we took him straight there from the airport, the food is so delicious.

Along the same lines but not quite as nice or friendly, Zankou Chicken (famous for their spit-roasted garlic chicken), Armenian Lebanese food in Glendale and Burbank, CA.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I totally missed your post about the skyline recipe. I appreciate that greatly!

Per instructions, I'll remind you in a week if you forget. Feel better!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
$5 for a torta! That's outlandish! I can't believe a restaurant can charge so much for what is obviously very easy to make.

quote:
Jason's Deli was on my list
Oh, my bad, I thought I checked, but musta missed it. I love their broccoli and cheese soup.

quote:
I don't like Tex-Mex or BBQ
Can not think of something mean enough to say or do.... *destroys all ketchup in the world*
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
$5 for a torta! That's outlandish! I can't believe a restaurant can charge so much for what is obviously very easy to make.

Um, where you live, ingredients are a lot cheaper-- and not as good. [Wink] (Well, the beef is better AND cheaper. But we have better chicken. In any case, this restaurant uses mostly locally-grown, largely organic ingredients. Plus, minimum wage is higher and they pay their employees a living wage. Plus the tortas are about twice as big as other tortas I have had, and stuffed twice as full.) As for easy to make, having tried it at home and never gotten the same results, I doubt it. (They cook their own carnitas, marinate their asada, and make their own salsas too. That's a lot of work.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can not think of something mean enough to say or do.... *destroys all ketchup in the world*

If you wanted to be REALLY mean, you'd just destroy her favorite brand (which I think is Heinz), so she is forced to subsist on inferior ketchups.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Same thing, really. If it wasn't around, I'd just give up ketchup.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I think there would be additional psychological torture of complaining about not having ketchup and having well-meaning people offer you Hunt's.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They'd learn soon enough.
rivka
Member # 4859

But there is a practically infinite supply of NEW well-meaning people! [Evil Laugh]
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, where you live, ingredients are a lot cheaper-- and not as good. (Well, the beef is better AND cheaper. But we have better chicken. In any case, this restaurant uses mostly locally-grown, largely organic ingredients. Plus, minimum wage is higher and they pay their employees a living wage. Plus the tortas are about twice as big as other tortas I have had, and stuffed twice as full.) As for easy to make, having tried it at home and never gotten the same results, I doubt it. (They cook their own carnitas, marinate their asada, and make their own salsas too. That's a lot of work.)
Wow, it's odd that I've never considered the possibility of there being quality ingredients in a torta. Hmm, I guess that's what comes with having 'goat brains' on the menu next to 'pastor.' But those do sound like good tortas. Taco Keto has a double sized torta that is around five bucks.

As for making their own ingredients, I should certainly hope so. TexMex may be able to get away with store bought salsa, but a taqueria should always make their own. It's cheaper (in the area of the country I live in).

What if I just destroy everything that KQ enjoys putting ketchup on. So then she'd have all of the ketchup she could want, but nothing to eat it on! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They would learn too. Or die.
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
In N Out is great, there are so many Pho houses around LA that they are one of my favorite places to hit as well. delicious stuff, especially if they have oxtail, but I'd recommend staying away from the fishball...

Chick Fil A and fazolis are sadly exiled to Orange County out here, as I've yet to see them in LA proper. I worked at a fazolis in high school, the pasta is overcooked and substandard but the sandwiches were always good, imo. breadsticks are like 250 calories each though, so I try to limit to one.

pot in soup (pho) wouldn't get you high, it'd just be a flavoring agent. THC is fat soluble, not water soluble. That's why when making special brownies the pot has to be sauteed in butter before you mix it into the brownie mix. I've never made special brownies or had any pot, I learned that during class discussion at college--the teacher was exasperated with the students expounding upon the subject. [Smile]

[Razz] ahh the things you actually REMEMBER from college. [Smile]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
If you live in the DC area you know what I'm talking about...
5 Guys. Hands down the best burgers I've ever had.

So true! And the fries! I am so lucky we have one right by the house because I have been craving their fries this whole pregnancy and at least the Hubby doesn't have too far to go to get me my fix!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, there's also a Zankou in Anaheim (which just happens to be right next to the Iranian market where I get my Halloumi whenever I go with my brother [Smile]

I second it as a tasty place.

Also, in response to some of the comments about one place or another in this thread being "bad" (i.e. fazoli's etc...) keep in mind that we're comparing fast food places, not regular restaraunts. I enjoy Fazolis quite a bit (though my stomach makes me regret it after the fact) but in no way do I consider it good pasta (really I'm hesitant to even put it in the same category with real italian restaraunts). that being said, there are times when you're in the mood for a certain thing even when it's not a good example of a type of food. I don't like American Cheese, and frankly find it hard to even compare it with a good Guda or Muenster etc etc, but at least on occasion a grilled cheese sammich with american cheese is just what hits the spot [Smile]

anyway though, my favorites include:
panera bread
Wendy's
and since I've moved out to LA any number of very tasty mexican places such as Chili Verde. While Baja Fresh and the like are alright, when you have access to a real burrito place the americanized versions just seem so insincere

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My quest for the best fast onion rings continues. Nothing compares to the beer batter rings at the Comfort Inn's basement restaurant near the Milwaukee airport.

After that, Popeye's has almost acceptable rings.

Forget about mass-manufactured frozen rings.

Japanese tempura rings are pretty good, but they're not fast, and you have to eat all the other battered veggies on your plate before you get to that single onion ring.

Fries? I like home-style. Arby's are pretty good. Can't stand those brittle, toothpick fries at Wendy's and Mickey D's.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Can't stand those brittle, toothpick fries at Wendy's and Mickey D's."

I like those. They're not my favorite, but they're acceptable.

I had dinner tonight at Boston Market. The stupid people there gave me Rotisserie Chicken instead of the Sirloin Steak I had asked for. I didn't notice until I got home. Luckily, they charged me for the Chicken. Man, the mashed sweet potatoes with marshmellows and brown sugar there are soo good. my other side was Creamed Spinach, which was also pretty good, but it didn't compare to the sweet potatoes. Yep, Boston Market is really good if it's considered fast food.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
Agreed, brojack.

And Ron's Hamburgers. I even met Bob Scopatz there once. [Smile]

Ron's is a close #2.

How close to Tulsa are you. I thought Farmgirl was the closest person to me.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm, I guess that's what comes with having 'goat brains' on the menu next to 'pastor.'

[Angst]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Don't worry, Dana. I think that means you have to eat them. Just sprinkle some bacon on top, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
. . . but at least on occasion a grilled cheese sammich with american cheese is just what hits the spot [Smile]

Philistine. [Razz]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
Agreed, brojack.

And Ron's Hamburgers. I even met Bob Scopatz there once. [Smile]

Ron's is a close #2.

How close to Tulsa are you. I thought Farmgirl was the closest person to me.

Nope, I'm just south of Bixby. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Oh. I'm in Owasso. My aunt and uncle live in Glenpool. Howdy fellow Okie.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. I lived in Sapulpa and Jenks before moving to Texas.

EDIT: That was to Boon and brojack, talking about where in OK.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*gets ready for the 5 minute drive to In-and-Out Burger*

muahahahah
Jealous? [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Rax. (Tennessee area.)

Krystal. (I'm kidding.)

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Smile] Was just in Glenpool today, Sapulpa a couple times last week, and Jenks 3 weeks ago.

Closest I've been to Owasso lately was a trip to Sand Springs for my son's Pinewood Derby. [Smile]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Lucky duck. I haven't been to Jenks in almost 4 years (the last time was to visit friends and just go by the old house to see how it looked). I miss the place for some reason.

Oh and Nick, I am jealous. It's been more than 10 years since I've had In-and-Out. I miss it too.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
So then she'd have all of the ketchup she could want, but nothing to eat it on!
No worries. I slurp it from the packet sometimes... But I'd probably die of malnutrition since I put ketchup on meats, veggies, some fruits, most grains, and some desserts...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
*gets ready for the 5 minute drive to In-and-Out Burger*

muahahahah
Jealous? [Smile]

Not I. We have one four minutes away. [Razz]

(Plus one 10 minutes away, three 15 minutes away, one 20 minutes away, one everywhere we are apt to be out shopping... Get the picture? [Big Grin] )

Boon
unregistered

Well, come for a visit when KQ does and we'll have TulsaCon! [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
TexMex may be able to get away with store bought salsa, but a taqueria should always make their own. It's cheaper (in the area of the country I live in).
Here, too. But I was making the point that they put lots of WORK into it, which makes it worth buying there and not making your own.
brojack17
Member # 9189

pfresh,
That is funny. From 2001 to 2005 I lived in League City (near NASA). Outlying towns in Houston is not the same as Tulsa. It's a small world.

Boon,
If you are ever down this way, drop me a line. I would love to meet a fellow Hatracker.

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I COULD make it there in 2 minutes, if I considered the local traffic laws to be a little more flexible... [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Nope, it's just not the same. The last time I was by my old house in Jenks though it was beginning to look more and more like the suburbs I live in in Texas. My house went from being somewhat isolated to being in the middle of a decent-sized suburb. That's the way it goes though.
Boon
unregistered

brojack, I noticed you said you have kids. Mine are 10, 8, and 2. Maybe we could arrange a park day or something when we're feeling better? (We've been sick this week.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Well, I COULD make it there in 2 minutes, if I considered the local traffic laws to be a little more flexible... [Smile]

Me, too. [Razz]
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
OOh, any Los Angelenes go to Holy Guacamole? So Good, so cheap, and your coke is in the glass bottle.

Best little chicken tacos ever, too. Cheapest eat on Main Street, that and Wildflower Pizza.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Never been. When I'm down in that area there are other places I usually eat. But lots of places have Mexican coke. It IS good.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_Goat:
quote:
In-N-Out Burger is awesome. However the rest of the country outside of California knows little about it.
AHEM! Phoenix has 3, Tuscon has 2, Lake Havasu (which is sort of AZ & CA) has 1, Flagstaff has some (I don't remember how much), and Prescott is getting one.

So ha!

And yeah, Arby's is good. Forgot to mention that.

LadyLove: Not that I'll ever eat there, or even hear of it again, but may I ask how much that Pollo-Loco meal is?

Heya DaG, long time.

Phoenix must have around a dozen In-n-Out burgers (or should I say the Valley does). I know of four off the top of my head.

My favorites:

Dairy Queen
Quiznos
Chipotle (who's parent company is McD's, but that's about all the connection they have. Just look at some of the ads to see a difference in approaches).
Qdoba
Wendy's
Fazoli's
Chick-fil-a
Arby's / Jack in the Box on a good day
And just because it meets the criteria, Spring Creek BBQ

Pollo Locos are pretty tasty, but a place that tries to do so many things bothers me...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up fast food for my new year's resolution. No McD's or Wendy's, BK, Arby's, etc. However, I do not consider Subway or Quiznos as 'fast' food, so they are not off limits. I absolutely LOVE Subway and have existed off of nothing less for many periods of time throughout the years. Quiznos is good, but I can't take eating there very often.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Boon,
That would be great. I have four (all girls). 10, 10, 4, 3.

I hope you and the kids get better soon.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would love to meet a fellow Hatracker.
:stamps foot:

It's Jatraquero.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
Heya DaG, long time.

It still is. [Frown]
quote:
posted December 17, 2003

Scott, both are correct. Give it up.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
I would love to meet a fellow Hatracker.
:stamps foot:

It's Jatraquero.

I never agreed to use that term exclusively. Why should Spanish define our forum? I still think Mao Zi Dao Ren sounds better but I don't expect anybody to pick up on it.

You can keep your Jatraquero, and Ill hold onto Hatracker.

[ March 16, 2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Cafe Rio. I've only seen them in Utah but I crave their shredded pork salad with creamy tomatillo sauce. Mmmmmm.

Getting Cafe Rio today, my sweet wife is bringing it home for me since I am sick but getting better, FORGET CHICKEN SOUP!

Shredded pork burrito enchilada style with black beans, and medium spicy sauce, with a side of sour cream [Big Grin] Some lettuce on the side but not salsa today. Tiffany probably will not finish her food and Ill have some of whatever she has too!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Portuguese.
brojack17
Member # 9189

:song:
You say Jatraquero, I say Hatracker
Let's call the whole thing of
:\song:

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Portuguese.

oh thx for the correction.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scott, both are correct. Give it up.
Never!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Jatraquero is Spanish spelling. The oddly rodentlike Ratraquero was suggested as a Portuguese equivalent.

Or no?

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.