FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book Burnings:

Author Topic: Book Burnings:
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, not really. Sorry, I lied. But the other title was dull: "Book recommendation for Potok fans" - gah.

Yeah, that sounds like a Reading Rainbow intro if I've ever heard - uh, read one. Anyway, the book:

As A Driven Leaf by Milton Steinberg. Read it, love it, etc.

AADL is the story of a sort of footnote heretic in history, Rabbi Elisha ben Abuya. Although it takes place in the first century AD (or CE, whichever), it's a timeless tale of the struggles of faith.

From the back:

quote:
The magnificent work of fiction that brings the age of the Talmud to life, and explores the times of Elisha ben Abuyah, whose struggle to live in two worlds destroyed his chances to live in either.
The foreward is written by Chaim Potok, who encountered Steinberg's books as a boy and quite by accident. It is by happy coincidence that I found it, too. Had it not been attached to Potok's name, I doubt sincerely that I ever would have encountered it.

The title comes from a passage in Job:

quote:
Wherefore hidest Thou Thy face ...
Wilt Thou harass a driven leaf?
Job XIII:24-25

I came across the title quite some time ago, but never got to read it - until now. It's particularly germane to my life and faith just now as I've recently been hashing out different faith struggles of my own. In the prologue, I found myself practically addressed on a personal level, though not by name. ^_~. Needless to say, I'm fairly taken with this book and would love to hear from those who've read it.

[ December 17, 2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: asQmh ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Obviously I'll just have to talk about the book by myself. But that's okay, since I loved it. The way Steinberg mixes apocryphal fact with rich fiction in a seamless weave of story amazes and captivates me.

So there.

For mack's benefit: there's definite exegesis going on here.
For Lissa: it's a book. In English. You can walk right into bookstores and get them over here.

For everybody else: [Taunt]

*bows*

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Alisha ben Abuya is rather more than a footnote.

And isn't that the second book about him published recently? I wonder why the sudden interest?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Q,

came across Elisha's name once before, not a whole lot of info though. You sure got my interest intrigued, guess am getting online ordering the book. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us [Smile]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Rivka - more than a footnote, yes, but there's not a lot that can be known about him for sure. There isn't much information on him other than his excommunication.

This isn't a recent book, though. Recently revived, yes, but Steinberg died in the 50s. Potok first discovered him when he (Potok) was just a kid in school. The revival of the book is certainly due to Potok's forward, though, I'd think.

Potok overheard some kids talking about the death of Steinberg, saying, "He's dead. And now they're punishing for his books." Immediately, he had to know who this Milton Steinberg was and why he should be punished for his books.

The story is also a sort of depiction not only of the struggle Steinberg sees in the life of Elisha, but also of the struggles he underwent in his own as he struggled to discern what it all meant to the modern Jew.

It's an interesting book. I'm surprised at the way in which it's presented, too.

Q.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I aspire to be a footnote in history.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
but there's not a lot that can be known about him for sure. There isn't much information on him other than his excommunication.

In English. I'm fairly certain there's quite a bit in Hebrew, although he is more commonly referred to as "Acher" ("Other").
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Rivka: I'd be interested to know of any sources, English or Hebrew. I haven't run across much, but I haven't studied specifically Elisha. Most things only mention him and, along with that, mention that not much is known. I think he's an interesting character, though, and would appreciate any recommendations you have.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'll see what I can find. [Smile]
asQmh
Member # 4590

Thanks. I'll ask my profs at the grad school, too. Oster loves this stuff.

Q.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.