FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My brother had Lunch with Harry (a FAMOUS celeb... you figure it out)

Author Topic: My brother had Lunch with Harry (a FAMOUS celeb... you figure it out)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
No NOT Harry Potter!

My little bro, Nate, has a way of landing on his feet, and meeting interesting people. Last year, he got to be an extra on the West Wing, because he was lifguarding on the Navy base where they were filming an episode.

He and a buddy went over there to watch after their shift was over and ended up talking to Martin Sheen and Martin Sheen's grandson, Emilio Estevez's kid, who was about the same age. Anyway they gave Nate and his buddy a personal tour of Sheen's trailer, invited them to the catered cast lunch (they pigged out on awesome gourmet) and told them they could be extras in one of the scenes where they needed a lot of uniformed naval personell. (Sheen was giving as speech to a crowd of Navy people in the episode.) That was last year.

This year he's taking flying lessons. He got his single engine license at their local municipal airport, but my Dad heard about a really good flight school down in Los Angeles that had a lot of sucess especially with their accelerated weekend programs. So Nate has gone down there for the last three or four months, getting his multi-engine license and now his instrument rating.

So he got down there early a couple weeks ago and was waiting in the lounge. There was a guy who was lying on some chairs, who sat up and started talking to Nate. It was Harry! Nate was surprised, but they talked until they had to go to their respective classes. Harry was getting his instrument rating too, but was in a class sequence a week behind Nate. Nate was taking his written test that week.

The following weekend, Nate went down to get some flight time, and I think do his actual instrument in-flight testing. His instructor, just happened to be the owner of the flight school. After the flight time (Nate passed the test) the instructor said, hey what are you doing after this? Nate said, nothing, probably just driving home and going surfing.

The instructor said, "Well in that case, how'd you like to go to lunch with

(have you guessed yet?)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Harrison Ford and I?"

So Nate did. Aparrently he actually goes by Harrison, but laughed when Nate called him Harry. They mostly talked flight stuff. Nate had a salad, Harrison had chicken teryaki, and I'm not sure what the instructor had!

Like I said, the boy has a way of landing on his feet.

AJ

[ December 18, 2003, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. I guessed Harry Potter (in which case flying lessons would have meant something very different.)

[ December 18, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

*dies*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed correctly!

What do I win?

The teriyaki chicken sounds like a good prize to me [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my! What a lucky duck. I should hang out with him sometime [Wink] I think ole' Harry [Wink] [Wink] is very sexy...

(goes off to drool somewhere)

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bn
Member # 5526

- posted      Profile for bn   Email bn         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed Harry Knowles... but that wouldn't be a lunch, that would be a nightmare [ROFL]
Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are very lucky... just randomly, out of the blue. Cool.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought it was Harry Knowles :-)
I would not think it would be a nightmare. Well...at least, I think the guy and aint-it-cool-news are very funny. :-)

But Harrisson Ford is also nice :-)

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no lunch with Harrison Ford but I once sat next to Mike Farrell on an airplane.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I met someone famous named Robert once. But I can't remember his last name. (Not Redford). He was on "Hart to Hart". They were shooting the pilot of "Lime Street" or something of that nature in the mysterious estate across the street from us.

But it must have been someone else's energy attracting him. I have the "dead professor" vibe.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Robert Wagner.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've met nobody, but I've heard Cher's mom lives in Prescott.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
See, my first thought was Harry Potter, too! Wow that would be too cool! But then my second guess was Prince Harry of England. I figured your brother was over in England for something or other. <laughs> I never would have thought of Harrison Ford! That is neato!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I thought of Harrison Ford right away.

Weird thing, though, is that I thought he already had all of his necessary coursework, etc.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Icarus, you think everybody already knows how to fly.

I guessed Harry Nilsson, then realized:
1) nobody would actually recognize him.
2) he's dead.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed Harrison Ford as soon as you said "flight school" because he was here in Wichita just a few months ago looking at private planes, and talking about flight lessons -- it was such a big deal to have a "star" in town, that it made the daily paper. Only because he went to N&J's Cafe (Lebanonese food) to have lunch and they all recognized him and called the paper...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's so cool. As hard as I'd have tried, I don't think I could have stuck to the topic of "flight stuff".

The biggest celebrity encounter I've ever had... when I was on my mission in Portland, I actually ran into Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka. In case any of you here are culturally illiterate, he was a famous pro wrestler about 20 years ago, and he was also responsible for getting his nephew, The Rock, into the business. Anyway, he was an inactive member of the Mormon church (I think we were the only missionaries that ever found him), and we had dinner with him one night. You can't tell in the picture because his arms are around us, but he was still absolutely huge. I've never felt so physically threatened by a man coming on his 60s in all of my life.

[ December 19, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ford, already had his pilot's license, and may even have a helicopter license, but he didn't have his instrument rating, hence the course.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guessed Harrison Ford as soon as you said "flight school" because he was here in Wichita just a few months ago looking at private planes, and talking about flight lessons -- it was such a big deal to have a "star" in town, that it made the daily paper. Only because he went to N&J's Cafe (Lebanonese food) to have lunch and they all recognized him and called the paper...

Umm...flight school...
Lebanese food...

I think the Justice Department needs to lock this guy away for our own protection!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I delivered a pizza to Huey Lewis...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed Harrison Ford as soon as Flight School came into play.

I too am very lucky. Extremely Lucky. I tell ya, luck just exudes from my very pores.

It just happens to be another of those things that is not readily apparant to an outside observer.

But I am. And i thank my stars. No pun intended.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking Harry Belafonte. I wasn't surprised to be wrong though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed Harry Anderson (I once just missed sharing an elevator with Harry Anderson).

Did Harrison have his new lip ring in?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Annie. I love Huey Lewis. I have his first couple albums on vinyl.

Speaking of vinyl, my only other celebrity encounter happened 3 years to the day before I met The Superfly. I snuck backstage a couple hours before a Dixie Dregs concert in Ft. Collins, CO and met Steve Morse. I'm not sure if anyone here will know who that is, but if you do know, you're automatically on my groovy list. One of the highlights of my life. He was really cool. He autographed my vinyl copy of Unsung Heroes and called a couple members of the band from onstage to come out and sign it too. I was completely speechless... literally. Like the cliche, I had thought of all these smooth things to say, and my mouth stopped functioning when I met him. I'm such an idiot.

An even better story happened to a friend of mine. I knew her from high school, where she was best known for being bat-s**t crazy. I ran into her a couple years later and she'd been wandering around Europe as a vagrant. One of the stories she told me involved the time that she'd been sleeping in the bathtub of a cocaine dealer in Germany. After a week or two, he said she'd have to leave, but that she could probably stay with Bobby, one of his best customers. So he walked her over to Bobby's house, knocked on the door, and it was answered by... Bobby McFerrin. So she slept on his couch for a week or two. She said he was freaked out on cocaine the whole time. It's a second hand story from a looney, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd never known her to lie, so I was inclined to believe her.

[ December 19, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL My sister has been in lust with him(edit to clarify: Harrison Ford) for, like, 20 years. No, longer. Anyway, that's extremely cool.

Ron has been in first class flights with David Duchovny, M.C. Hammer (and his posse;) ) and Jerry Springer. He also got to meet Yo Yo Ma, which was the coolest one for him.

Sounds like your brother must be very likeable. He must exude 'like me' phermones or something. [Smile]

THAT'S Superfly Snuka? Cool. Ron used to do some of his characteristic wrestling moves on me. LOL That's cool.

[ December 19, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Huey Lewis lives, at least part of the year now, in Stevensville, Montana, a town of 2,000. When he first moved to town he came to the school office to register his kids. The secretary didn't recognize him and thought he was applying for the janitorial job. He was so offended he walked out and sent his kids to school in the next town.

I also saw Sean Connery once at the Louvre. But he was acting like he didn't want to be bothered and we knew the girls we were with would definitely bother him, so we pretended like we didn't notice. We told them all later of course, which made us very unpopular.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So Stevensville, Montana is the heart of rock 'n' roll. Who would have thought?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*drools*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guessed Harry Nilsson, then realized:
1) nobody would actually recognize him.
2) he's dead.

Hey! I know who that is. I have The Point Soundtrack in my car right now!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
What if I guessed Harry's son, Ford?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*groan* <insert puking smiley here>
BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump for bev...

AJ

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh... this summer I got to work on two movies, I worked with John Corbett, Amy Smart, Sean Asten, Asten's Mom, Ashley Johnson, and Gregory Smith... I also got to work as a production assistant on both of them and made a nice chunk of cash- But i'd take it all back if I got to go out to eat with Harrison Ford...

-Jack Montague

(Oh, and Nate wasn't kidding in the least- the foods that they make for cast and crew on set is usually delicious, I had steak and lobster one night, with a side of pumpkin and lemon pies, with strawberries to dip in my whipping cream.. and I was getting paid? I'd gladly have paid just to have been there...)

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*faints*

That is so unbelievably awesome!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
wow that is nuts...lunch with Han Solo [Smile]

While I would prefer lunch with Eliza Dushku [Smile] I sure would not complain about meeting Harison Ford. Lol, just seeming my mother's reaction would be priceless.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shell.. Lupus? From Ansible?

(if it's not you.. uhh.. ignore me- Ansible is a MOO text based kinda roleplay game I use to play a long time ago)

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.