FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So what happens to Sauron's eye when it rains?

Author Topic: So what happens to Sauron's eye when it rains?
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as though Middle Earth coulda just waited for a torrential downpour to put him out. No need for bloodshed that way.
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's why everything was dead in Mordor - Sauron couldn't let it rain!

(Poor Sauron.... he's such a fan of tulips too....)

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
he probably has one of the nine ride over head on... whatever they were riding, and that keeps the rain off the eye
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Pat

How was Disneyland?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
((rivka))

Awesome.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's good. [Smile] Since you missed out on the REAL SoCal attractions.

Y'know -- Juliette & Saxon, the Meese, the Doves . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

quote:
Maybe that's why everything was dead in Mordor - Sauron couldn't let it rain!
So that is why Shirley Manson is never in Mordor [Razz]
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww, I'm in Yuma. Had I known of a SoCal gathering I woulda tagged along. Keep me in the loop next time rivka [Big Grin]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sad* We didn't actually have one.

We have one tentatively scheduled for February 1st, though. I'd love to meet you in person, Bobby! [Smile]

I'll find the thread and bump it for you.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, we've missed you. This is truly good and funny fluff. [Wave]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
How was November 31st, Pat?

I should like to see one...I imagine it was quite magical.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. [Roll Eyes]

He moves indoors. Just because you've only seen the eye when it's hovering over the tower doesn't mean it always stays there.

Even a dark lord needs his downtime. Sauron has a nicely appointed tower suite with everything a flaming eyeball needs.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be beneath him to use the same fires used to create the great rings to forge a giant evil umbrella frame?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Pat. Rain is like Visine from heaven - it gets the red out...
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why, he breaks out into song...

"I'm singin' in the rain,
just singin' in the rain.
What a glorious feeling,
I'm happy again."

At that point, he decided to surrender and dedicate his life to righting the wrongs he had done. This happened just as Frodo dropped the ring in, interrupting Sauron's conversion and dooming him for all eternity.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
He closes his lid?
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
He throws a few orcs onto the barbie to stoke the fire and for a snack later. Rain always makes him hungry.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you believe really big windshield wipers come out of the top of the tower?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

He had the orcs install really large umbrellas.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sauron likes getting caught in the rain.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Sauron just used the One Umbrella.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

He did, until it was stolen from him.
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot about his spare..
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

There were originally nine.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

I know this is sort of off topic, but if Sauron could just forge a ring that was more powerful than all of the others then why couldn't he just forge a new one when that one was lost?

And who made the other rings?

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
He wasn't physical after the One Ring was taken, he was completely spirit. And the Elves forged the other rings...mind my over simplification, I don't have any of my Tolkien books with me.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Why would he forge a ring and put all his power into it? Rings are so losable. Sauron should have known better after he kept misplacing his wedding ring.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the books, not the movie, Sauron did have a physical form after he lost the One. His body was killed by Gil-Galead and Elendil and Isildur cut his finger off. It took him a long time to reform his body, but Gollum specifically mentions his Sauron only having 4 fingers on one hand.

Sauron made the One because he could not otherwise control men/elves/dwarfs. He noted the elves interest in creating tools to help preserve the world and decided to use the rings to ensnare his victims. Sauron had to put his power into the One to give it enough power to overcome the Elven rings. With the ring, he was more powerful than before, but binding himself to it was the price he paid to get the power.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It is easy to lose a ring, particularly when a finger gets chopped off. That's why I have placed all of my power into an accessory much closer to me and harder to steal: The One True Jock.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Heaven forbid somebody tries to cut THAT off.

Would it make you turn invisible?

My precioussssss.....

OK, enough of that.

[ December 19, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why couldn't he just forge a new one when that one was lost?

This is the first time I've related LOTR to "Oh Brother Where art thou.

Original question: Because the flames are flames of metaphysical torment and malice. Much like what I experience everytime I read a post by someone who has already gotten to see LOTR [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Pat, I'm soo happy to see you. [Cry] I missed you soo much, and I was accused of being you on multiple occasions, which furthered my Pat neurosis.

Actually I have a serious theory about what the rings symbolize, but I guess this is neither the time nor the place. And I probably should wait until I've at least seen the movie. If not read the book as well. And spent 35 years of my life dedicated to philology.

[ December 19, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very interesting that Frodo and Sauron each have nine fingers.

Harry Potter, anyone?

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Lula, my country's (Brazil) President also have 9 fingers.
Strange...Frodo, Sauron and Lula. I feel a disturbance...I could say I'm being governed by Sauron, it would be cool, he being the ultimate evil, and all...
Unfortunatelly, Lula is more like Frodo.
Or...maybe it's all part of a nine-finger plot to take over the world. [Smile]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I was poking around on TORN (because of the Deagol/Smeagol fun in the other thread) and found this question and answer about the eye.

quote:
In a letter to Mrs. Eileen Elgar (Letters #246) Sauron's physical appearance is described "Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic." A picture of him is in one of Tolkien's jacket designs shown in "Artist and Illustrator."

This is how it always seemed to me as well, that the eye was mostly metaphorical...which is why it's kind of funny that it turns into a prison search light in RotK. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's it!!!! Narnia - you have such a way with words!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more along the lines of one kickass followspot, but that works too I guess.

Well, I'm just glad it happened to Sauron and not me.

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.