FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mistletoe (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mistletoe
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The tradition of kissing under the mistletoe became popular in eighteenth-century England with the emergence of the mistletoe kissing ball. A young lady standing under mistletoe could not refuse to be kissed. Such a kiss could mean deep romance or lasting friendship and goodwill. It was also said that a young lady standing under the mistletoe who did not recieve a kiss would remain unmarried until the next year. If a couple in love exchanged a kiss under the mistletoe, it was interpreted as a promise to marry, and a prediction of happiness and long life. Today mistletoe is a festive addition to Holiday decorations, no matter if it is hung to follow the traditions of the past or as a fun way to participate in the Holiday spirit.
While the Holiday custom of kissing beneath a branch of mistletoe goes back hundreds of years, legends about the curious plant go back to the time of the Roman Empire and earlier. This magical plant seems to have different meaning in each varying culture, but one thing remains consistent throughout, that mistletoe is a very special plant. In Scandinavia, mistletoe was considered a plant of peace, under which enemies could declare a truce, or warring spouses could kiss and make-up. In European folklore, mistletoe has been one of the most magical, mysterious, and sacred plants. It was considered to bestow life and fertility and a protection against poison. In the Middle Ages branches of mistletoe were hung from ceilings to ward off evil spirits. Ancient Druids thought the plant had healing and magical powers and used it in their sacred ceremonies.

Although mistletoe was once believed to be a protection against poison, it should not be eaten because the plant and berries are actually poisonous!!

*hangs Mistletoe*
*backs away*
*waits for couples to walk by*
[Smile]

Merry Christmas! [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

- posted      Profile for grinch   Email grinch         Edit/Delete Post 
:chews on mistletoe:
:grimaces:
:spits in cuspidor:

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
walks by sees mistletoe
stands near it for about 15 hours
hundreds of girls walk by but the only one who seems to notice me and want that kiss is an orangatang named clyde

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sits forlornly under the mistletoe*
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:Harvests mistletoe with a golden sickle at midnight beneath the light of a full moon; makes a dart from the branch:

Just in case.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caliburn84
Member # 4949

- posted      Profile for caliburn84   Email caliburn84         Edit/Delete Post 
*stands under mistletoe*
*continues to stand there for 48 hours*
*remebers why I hate this time of year*
*procedes back into lurkerdom*

Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
*stares at mistletoe and the vast emptiness around it*

sigh

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*fashions mistletoe-dangling device that suspends mistletoe above his head*

*waits for unsuspecting jatraqueras to come near*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
In keeping with this year's personal anti-spirit:

*stops under mistletoe*
*whips out lighter that's never there when I really need it*
*torches symbol of lonliness*
*nods in satisfaction and walks away*

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
do those traditions still hold if only half the couple celebrates christmas?
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a severe dearth of kissing in this thread about mistletoe....

[Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Loki knew what mistletoe was REALLY for. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor gents!

I'll get the Wenches over here at once!

*Kisses to everyone in the thread*

[Kiss]

(Edited to bring some Wassail!)

[ December 20, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*walks into thread with giant bag of mistletoe and a step ladder...proceeds to hang it over every square inch of the ceiling*

[Evil Laugh] [Kiss]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, this thread is turning into pathetic bachelordom.

Losers.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mistltoe is a parasitic plant. I had an oak tree infected by it once. By the time I figured out what it was, the branch of this pest was HUGE and I had to cut it out with a chainsaw.

But sure, let's smooch under the shade of a parasite. I'm game.

[Kiss]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] To all.

Merry Christmas!

and/or

Happy Holidays! [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a kiss from Jenny! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*drags Pippin to mistletoe*
*kisses Pippin*

(I think "Merry Christmas" should be changed to "Pippin Christmas" [Wink] )

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
No! *makes dramatic leap after Pippin*

[Kiss] for everybody! [Big Grin]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
to quote Jughead from Archie comics
"the season of the dreaded plant* [Smile]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kavon
Member # 6038

- posted      Profile for Kavon   Email Kavon         Edit/Delete Post 
*sits under the mistletoe*

Hello, ladies.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Eruve Nandiriel:
*drags Pippin to mistletoe*
*kisses Pippin*

(I think "Merry Christmas" should be changed to "Pippin Christmas" )

Is it just the Hatrack women as a whole, or has the entire world of females taken on this sudden love for short, hairy guys?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

It must just be Hatrack, as none of the coeds around here are coming after me.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] [Kiss] lonley people [Kiss] [Kiss]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki Jr.   Email Julian Delphiki Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
:starts to chew:

Hey, guys, you all should really try these mistletoe berries. Man, this is some great stuff. The flavour is so rich and full. Seriously, this is the...

Woah, I am feeling kinda dizzy. Hold on, let mr brace myself on my desk. Okay much better. Where was I? Oh, jeez, here comes the floor.

And I'm out.

-W-

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Kiss] All y'all [Kiss]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*slides in*
[Kiss] to twinky

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Kiss] Pippin

(you can't have him, pH...he's mine!)

Pippin
Member # 6042

- posted      Profile for Pippin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] [Big Grin]

[Kiss]

[ December 22, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Pippin ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
::sighs:: Foxy's oceans away and not coming back for at least 5 more weeks. No mistletoe for Pixie. [Frown]

...Maybe just a little. [Kiss] [Wink]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Drat! I will have to change my nick to Merry.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
SOMEBODY KISS ME!!

[ December 22, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippin
Member # 6042

- posted      Profile for Pippin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]
Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
:sigh:
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, "Mistletoe is a parasitic plant."

Note: So are most guys who where Mistletoe Belt Buckles.

[Kiss] to the Wenches.
[Kiss] to the lurkers of feminine persuasion.

Reasons for limiting my kisses so? Hey, do we really need another homosexual thread?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Blushing]

I was just innocently lurking on this thread, and look what happened? [Big Grin]

[Kiss] all of the male jatraqueros in this thread (except Pippin, I just don't see it. [Wink] )

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] [Kiss] to everyone

y'know, back when I was in choir, we had to sing this one line in "Holly Jolly Christmas,"--"Kiss her once for me." The choir director made it clear that it was perfectly okay for girls to kiss other girls, so even though there was a 30/1 female majority, the line would NOT be changed to "kiss HIM once for me." [Big Grin]

[ December 23, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss]

[Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Kiss] Pippin
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't mistletoe the Astronaut's equivilant to athlete's foot? [Wink]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

(groans) That was TERRIBLE...
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I will take that as a compliment [Big Grin]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

I wonder if the sore throat thread and the mistletoe thread are some how connected, is the reason so many people seem to have sore throats because someone with a sore throat got too close to the mistle toe? [Wink]
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki Jr.   Email Julian Delphiki Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
odouls268, I might concider kissing you, but I have no clue your gender. So, to avoid an embarrassment, I will refrain from making any guesses.

-W-

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

I was under the impression odouls is a male, so you may be makeing a wise decission.
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

Aye. That decision is looking ever better by the moment.

-W-

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.