FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which LotR character do you resemble where gifts are concerned

Author Topic: Which LotR character do you resemble where gifts are concerned
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gift exchanging is an ancient rite that goes back to the earliest of men. Psychologists have determined that certain personality types behave in different and distinct ways to this type of event--gift exchanges. What is surprising is that many of these personality types can be seen in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Which one are you?

Fanghorn : Takes forever and three days to actually open their presents. First they have to decide when to open them, then which one to begin with, then how to open it with out ruining the paper....

Faramir: Need approval from others on not only what they get others, but on whether the gift they recieve is worthy. "Hey Dad, I just had these hobbits and this cool ring land in my lap. Should I keep them?"

Eowyn: Always complains about the gender bias of any gift she recieves.

Aragorn: Type A personality, is only happy when he gets a gift that helps him at work--a new brief case, a power tie, Isildur's sword reforged... something useful like that.

Arowyn: Difficult to shop for, this person who has everything is always interested in giving and recieving accesories to compliment her wardrobe. Whether these are new shoes, a new bag, or an appropriate hand-stitched banner makes little difference.

Elrond: Not big on gifts because he is more interested in offering his hospitality has a gift. You can always expect great parties at his house, with lots of music and good food. The event is more important that the item.

Gandalph: Environmental fanatic and consumate do-gooder. For every gift he gives and every gift he recieves he first contemplates "how will this help the planet."

Legolas: He is not picky with the gifts he recieves, but boy is he quick and artful on the way he unwraps them. Style is important.

Gimli: Quantity of gifts, not quality, is this dwarf's desire. Whether its counting orc heads or beer stein's, this competitive person always has to have one more than anyone else.

Boromir: Believes he deserves better gifts than anyone else, and in a fit of jealousy, may try to take something he thinks should be his. (on the other hand, he believes musical instruments are to die for.)

Merry: No matter what gag gift he is given, this type person always takes it way too seriously. Whether its an ugly pink sweater with grey geese sewn into it that he wears whenever the gifter is around, or a knighthood jokingly bestowed by a jolly king, this person never knows when to let the gift go.

Pippin: Not happy with the gifts they recieve, they have a tendancy to pick up those discarded by others.

Sam: Becomes very attached to the gifts he is given, overly sentimental, he never wants to leave them behind. Whether its an Elvish rope or just dirt, he will hold onto it past all logical understanding, or whine/cry when it is gone.

Frodo: Never happy with the gifts he is given, he will go miles out of his way to exchange or destroy unwanted gifts such as vials of light or the one ring.

Gollum: The Ultimate Gift Obsessive.

Sauron: Must have the best gift. Will forge his own if neccesary, to top or rule them all.

(more to come after I've seen RotK. Must go to catch early show)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well so far I'm Fanghorn, but there must be closer examples!

Enjoy the flick! (Maybe I can get out to see it too!)

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a combination of Merry and Pippin, and a little of Elrond.

Did you mean to spell Gandalf like that? [Confused] [Razz]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Your spelling of several of those characters' names is really bugging me. [Grumble]

...and yeah, so far I'm Fangorn. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn it Damn it Damn it.

I'm Sam. I even own dirt.

[Grumble]

[EDIT]Keep em coming!! Good stuff [ROFL] [/EDIT]

[ December 21, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: BobbyK ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even celebrating Christmas this year, and I'm Elrond. Maybe that why...
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not even celebrating Christmas this year, and I'm Elrond. Maybe that why...
I've never heard that before this year!

What's with that? I'm not critisizing, I'm curious. [Dont Know]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me like Pippin. I'm a big fan of second-hand gifts... not really sure why, though.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you curious about, BobbyK? That I consider myself Elrond or that I'm not celebrating Christmas?

I'll try to answer both. When I was a kid, I loved getting more presents than anyone else. My birthday is right there, too, and I still always got a lot of presents. As I've gotten older, my family has gone separate ways, and I'm lucky if they even remember my birthday, let alone call or send a present. So for that reason and some others that belong in another thread, I am not celebrating Christmas. First and foremost because I have no one to celebrate with, and I am tired of pretending to be a part of someone else's family.

As to why I say Elrond, another effect of growing up has been realizing that some things are more important than material possessions. Don't get me wrong, if my house were on fire, I would leave with my arms full, but when it comes to holidays, I would be happy to throw a party with lots of food and festivities like when I was a kid. Why don't I? Because no one would come. Right now it's just me and my cats.

I'm not swearing off Christmas forever (I hope), but I just don't have the monetary and logistical means or the emotional strength. Sorry if this is vague, but I don't want to drag this down with too much of my sob story.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Gollum. I only want what's really, really bad for me (chocolate), and developed horrible, soul-stealing cravings after just one more taste. And those who deprive me of my precious are the cause of another Slinker-Stinker fight! [Big Grin]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mixture of Elrond and Fangorn.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(Quick apology about the mispelling of names, hey, I was in a hurry to get it written out before the movie. Sue me if you must.)

Wormtongue: Definately loves every single gift he gets. Gushes and preens on the giver, telling them oh, how much they love it. He then derides everyone elses gift giving skills, especially how they relate to you.

Saruman: Nice enough fellow, as long as you give him one specific gift--total world domination. Come on, is that really to much to ask for? I don't think so.

Bilbo--Younger years: Not worried about gifts, but then again, all the good stuff just seems to fall into his hands with out him really trying.

Bilbo--Older years: Keeps opening the same gift over and over again. Forgets about it, and opens it again. Very happy fellow.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.