FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » VM #272 - Puts even the talented people of Hatrack to shame

Author Topic: VM #272 - Puts even the talented people of Hatrack to shame
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most actors would be pleased enough - no, absolutely thrilled - to be cast as a heart-throb in one of the biggest trilogies in cinema history. But apparently not Viggo.

Adoration is not enough. He has to spoil it for the rest of the male population by having an exhibition of his own landscape photographs to coincide with the world premiere in New Zealand. His photographs were called arty things such as Lost 1, 2, 3 and 4. These ones were taken while he was lost in the wilderness.

And Viggo appeared at a poetry reading for charity, possibly the only sold-out poetry reading in human history. He was well down the bill, but shrugged that off by saying there were some very good poets reading their work that night.

When composer Howard Shore conducted the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra in a Lord of the Rings concert with four choirs, Viggo joined in. Singing in Elvish.

How can we hope to even get near competing with a man who, when invited to address the crowd in New Zealand, starts by speaking flawless Maori. While wearing a UNICEF shirt.

You want to show your tender side with your affection for a favourite pet? When Viggo finished shooting Lord of the Rings, he bought the two horses he'd been riding to take home. Trumped!

Want to appear relaxed and in control of a stressful situation? When Viggo met the world's media before the premiere, he padded around a five-star hotel in bare feet. Out-nonchalanting everyone.

Want to appear committed to your job? Well listen to VM #71. When Viggo was cast as a deaf mute on a film, he decided not to speak to anyone for the entire shoot. He scribbled notes to the crew and ordered food by pointing.

Viggo is releasing a CD (along with guitarist Buckethead and guest appearances from Viggo's actor friends), of music, spoken wordplay and aural collage. Called Pandemoniumfromamerica - yes, that's one creatively long word - it's reputedly "a sonic snapshot of 21st century disorientation and dissent". And he's dedicated it to Noam Chomsky, no less.

Want to enhance your working class credentials by mentioning that you do a little home renovating or can change a tyre? While living in Denmark, Viggo (VM #221) worked as a truck driver.

Not only is he passably good-looking - OK, quite good-looking, OK, he was named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People magazine last year - Viggo mostly appears in movies with cool directors, such as Peter Weir (Witness), Jane Campion (The Portrait of a Lady), Sean Penn (The Indian Runner), Brian De Palma (Carlito's Way) and Ridley Scott (G.I. Jane).

When cast as a painter in A Perfect Murder, he did his own murals for the film. He speaks Spanish and Danish, as well as English. He doesn't own a television, but he does have a publishing house.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/22/1071941649915.html

Crud, I'm completely slacking.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*swoon*

mmmmmm......Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggo........

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Viggo clearly needs to work on his procrastination skills...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, ex wife, but no mention of a current wife, why do they always leave out the most importatn facts?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, ol' Viggo is great at procrastinatin'. Why do you think there is VM #272? One clone paints, another writes poetry, another drives trucks, etc.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's a good actor. To me, that counts.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Adoration is not enough. He has to spoil it for the rest of the male population by having an exhibition of his own landscape photographs to coincide with the world premiere in New Zealand. His photographs were called arty things such as Lost 1, 2, 3 and 4. These ones were taken while he was lost in the wilderness.

And Viggo appeared at a poetry reading for charity, possibly the only sold-out poetry reading in human history. He was well down the bill, but shrugged that off by saying there were some very good poets reading their work that night.

Viggo is releasing a CD (along with guitarist Buckethead and guest appearances from Viggo's actor friends), of music, spoken wordplay and aural collage. Called Pandemoniumfromamerica - yes, that's one creatively long word - it's reputedly "a sonic snapshot of 21st century disorientation and dissent". And he's dedicated it to Noam Chomsky, no less.

When cast as a painter in A Perfect Murder, he did his own murals for the film.

Many famous actors suffer from an affliction that causes them to believe that they're skilled at other art forms, and the curiosity factor that causes people to come check them out can be enough to convince them and feed their neurosis. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the next Ansel Adams or Robert Frost. Further, the fact that the author of this list states that it was "possibly the only sold-out poetry reading in human history" makes me doubt the objective integrity of the entire article.

quote:
When composer Howard Shore conducted the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra in a Lord of the Rings concert with four choirs, Viggo joined in. Singing in Elvish.
Again with the singing... Russell Crowe, Kevin Bacon, Keanu Reeves and Bruce Willis, among other people, decided that their acting resume qualified them to sing in bands. I'm not convinced that they're right. If he had, say, picked up an oboe or a marimba and held his own with the symphony orchestra, I'd be a bit more impressed.

quote:
How can we hope to even get near competing with a man who, when invited to address the crowd in New Zealand, starts by speaking flawless Maori. While wearing a UNICEF shirt.
Any time I work around people from a different culture, I generally learn how to say things like "good morning" and "how are you doing" in whatever obscure language they speak. Viggo has been working in rural New Zeland for about four years now. If he couldn't say a few things in flawless Maori, I'd suspect that he was a little dopey. Wearing the UNICEF shirt, though... I have to admit, that takes some talent.

quote:
Want to appear relaxed and in control of a stressful situation? When Viggo met the world's media before the premiere, he padded around a five-star hotel in bare feet. Out-nonchalanting everyone.
Well, when I was in my second year of college, I went through a hippie phase and wore shoes about twice a month. I walked barefoot to class and work almost every day for several months. Unfortunately, most girls found me less attractive than Viggo, even though I was definately more nonchalant.

quote:
Want to appear committed to your job? Well listen to VM #71. When Viggo was cast as a deaf mute on a film, he decided not to speak to anyone for the entire shoot. He scribbled notes to the crew and ordered food by pointing.
This reminds me of the story of Dustin Hoffman working on Marathon Man with Laurence Olivier. Dustin Hoffman (being a "method actor") stayed up all night to play a character who has stayed up all night. Arriving on the set, Laurence Olivier asked him why he looked they way he did. Hoffman told him, to which Olivier replied in jest: "Why not try acting? It's much easier."

quote:
Want to enhance your working class credentials by mentioning that you do a little home renovating or can change a tyre? While living in Denmark, Viggo (VM #221) worked as a truck driver.
Wow. He must be the only actor that ever had a blue collar job while he was trying to make it. Most impressive.

quote:
He speaks Spanish and Danish, as well as English.
Of course he's trilingual. He's not American, is he?

quote:
He doesn't own a television...
That's okay. Another couple epic trilogies, and I'm sure he'll be able to get one.

Anyway, sorry... I just couldn't help raining on this fanatical parade. [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed has a bit of a jealousy problem.....

[Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
He sure does. *grin*
quote:
Why do you think there is VM #272? One clone paints, another writes poetry, another drives trucks, etc.
*laugh* That explains everything!

[ December 23, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And just for the record, I think Mortensen's photography is fantastic. Heck, I can even tolerate his poetry, although I wouldn't pay money for it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget, Shatner and Hasselhoff also sang.

Then again, they didn't sing well.

Come to think of it, they didn't act well either.

Never mind.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Speed, his photography and paintings are very impressive, and he's been a respected artist longer than he's been a movie star. And I enjoy his music as well. It's on the artsy side, but I'm a nerd like that - I have trouble deciding if I should listen to my Bach organ fugues, my Japanese movie soundtracks, or my Monkees CD, most days, so what's one more genre?

Not that Viggo needs me to defend him. [Smile] Just thought I'd put my two cents in, since I have one of his art books and one of his CDs, so I have some basis for my opinions other than pure fangirling. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmmm. I lose.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just happy to see the Renaissance Man coming back in vogue.

Why shouldn't we strive to be good in many different areas?

Myself, I'd say I'm an excellent teacher, a good writer, an excellent lover, a wonderful parent, a passable actress/singer, and a good gardener.

You?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh.

I thought he was delicious before, and I'd only seen him in the first two LOTRs.

*swoons*

Now I think I'm hopeless...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with a name like 'Viggo', Lord knows there's a lot to live up to.

"What name can we give this beautiful baby boy that will cause him to get the crap beat out of him such that it will either force him to excel or die an early death from wedgie abuse?"

"Mmmmm...how about...'Weego'...'Smurfie'?...'Gloopy'? Wait! How about Viggo?!"

"Sounds like a winner! Viggo it is!"

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.