FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun Physics

Author Topic: Fun Physics
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
General relativity says that as gravity increases, time slows down. So the closer you get to a gravity creating object (like the Earth, or Sun) the slower your time goes in relation to the rest of the universe. This effect happens at a ratio such that when gravity is strong enough to keep light from escaping, time moves infinitely slow.

In other words when you reach a point in space where gravity is so strong that light can not move away from it, everything at that point is experiencing no time at all as the rest of the universe keeps moving.

A black hole is something that has such great gravity it has collapsed all matter into a single point (infinite density, zero size). The event horizon of a black hole is the point at which light can not escape the black hole, the same point mentioned above. However, black holes do emit radiation (Hawking radiation) and disperse there mass that way.

So imagine a ship falling into a black hole. It gets closer and closer, the ship thinking its moving at perfectly normal time. As you watch from some other vantage point however, the ship keeps moving slower and slower as it approaches the black hole, it’s time slowing down in relation to yours. It will reach the event horizon at a point infinitely far into the future, since that’s how long time will take to move at all. So from the universe’s vantage point the ship never falls into the black hole.

However, the black hole is continually releasing radiation (turning mass into radiation) until at some discrete point in the future it has expelled all of its mass in the form of hawking radiation and is dispersed. So the ship, which like all of the mass in the black hole, fell into it is released in such a way despite the fact that it never actually reached it. Interesting huh?

Let’s have some more physics fun!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool indeed.

Of course, blackholes emit Hawking radiation so slowly, that this would not occur for many many trillions of years and that the ship most likely wouldn't be emitted as a ship but as either energy in the form of photons or other baryonic matter.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat! Now, 'splain to me how we can actually watch whole galaxies being swallowed by a black whole. Are we actually seeing it, or are we seeing something for which time has stopped (at least from our frame of reference)?

Or, as I like to say whenever black holes are being discussed: "Get a grip!"

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, are you monitoring my thoughts again? I bought Hawking's Theory of Everything on tape for my ride home and was just being fascinated by Hawking radiation, which I had never heard of before. Eerie! But kissably eerie. [Kiss]

I still think that string theory is by far the coolest weird physics. Unfortunately, I don't think there are even many physicists who truly understand it, so my trying to explain anything would be like my 4-year-old brother talking to you about how my computer works. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, it's a matter of distance. The majority of the galaxy is still so far away from its black hole that the lengthening effect is still very small. And, of course, up close to even a huge black hole is still a small area compared to the size of the entire galaxy, so there is not that much to watch in that region.

Um...am I right, Hobbes? I'm not a physics major, I just play one on tv.

[ December 24, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want a fine literary example, try Frederick Pohl's Beyond the Blue Event Horizon

Nice thoughts, tiger.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the Gateway series in years! ::adds it to his ever lengthening list of things to read::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to start with Gateway Actually, but Beyond the Blue Event Horizon is a pretty good read, too.

But here's an interesting one for you: If time dilation approaches infinity as an object nears the event horizon of a black hole, how can the surface of the star itself, while collapsing, pass the event horizon in the lifetime of the Universe?

[edit]Have I mentioned this before here? getting senile in my old age...

[ December 24, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It can't, that was my point. Well kind of my point, the full point was that it is then ejected from the black hole in the form of radiation without ever entering the black hole. Freaky.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.