FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sore Throats

Author Topic: Sore Throats
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Is saltwater good for them or not? And if so, why?

For once, I'm sick and _not_ at school...which means no more crazy clinic doctor who sends me to the hospital every time I go in.

Of course, it also means I'm being stubborn and refusing to go see my regular doctor, either. Yup. Vitamins and sleep.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Gargling warm salt water is supposed to help, but I wouldn't advise drinking it. Also tea with honey, I think, and maybe lemon. Any kind of warm liquid should be soothing, but there are plenty of over the counter cold medicines that work wonders, too.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice Cream!!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have a popsicle, and then some tea. Saltwater grosses me out.

[ December 24, 2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I do the lukewarm salty water thing. It helps because it's giving some lubrication back there and it does sort of tame the fire for a few minutes. Not sure why it works -- matching the body's salinity or just using salt to "cure" the raw sores.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. I usually take zinc at the first sign of cold symptoms and regularly thereafter. Helps to speed the end of the cold by a few days.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally can't stand drinking salt water, for some reason it always makes me gag. What I like doing is coring an apple, or an asian pear (keep the top, and don't puncture the bottom), put a few cubes of ice sugar inside, put that into a bowl, and boil it in a pot of water (water outside the bowl) for about 10-15 minutes till it's nice and soft, let it cool for a smidge before you eat it, the juice is wonderful, and its really soothing on sore throats, colds, and fevers.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't DRINK the saltwater (ewwwwww!) you gargle with it -- which is plenty disgusting too, but will clear out the icky layer of phlegm and mucus and other lovely stuff that tends to coat an irritated throat. Especially if you have strep, but even just a post-nasal-drip induced one, or a I-shouldn't-have-yelled-that-hard one.

I find that gargling -- with salt water as hot and as salty as I can stand (and just use a scant mouthful to gargle with, then spit, repeat as necessary) -- and then rinsing out my mouth with plain water does wonders at cleaning out all the nasty stuff. Then I lay down a coating of my own. Lots of lemon and/or orange juice, mixed with lots of honey, and heated until warm. (If it's too strong for your taste, add hot water.) For those who drink alcohol, a half-shot of rum or triple-sec helps too.

I wouldn't take a cold medicine for a sore throat (unless it's being CAUSED by a cough or drippy nose). Just plain old Tylenol or Advil should do the trick.

Feel better soon!

[ December 24, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that Chloroseptic spray. It seems to wash it like salt water does, and also has some anaesthetic properties, and I think it may help kill bacteria, too. I like the cherry flavor.

Warm drinks also feel good. Since I don't drink tea anymore, I've switched to "white tea" which is tea without the tea, or just boiling water. I've become a real fan of white tea in wintertime.

Hot chicken soup is also great.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
When you find a solution that works, let me know!

*the queen of strep*

[Dont Know]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Listerine several times a day when I feel a sore throat coming on. Depending on the degree of the sore throat, it can give you quite a "zing", (not unlike washing a wound with alcohol), but my throat feels much better afterwards.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
There must be some way of working a dirty joke into this thread's theme of squirting salty liquid down a throat...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason gargling (NOT drinking) warm salt water works is that the salty water acts as a mild antibiotic, killing off some of the nasty bacteria that is making your throat sore (kind of like gargling with listerine only less harsh).

To also help your throat heal:
try not to cough or clear your throat (both do horrible things to your vocal chords)
do not whisper if you have any voice at all (again, it does damage to your vocal chords) and try not to talk a lot
drink warm tea with honey and lemon (honey has antibaterial properties, lemon gives you extra vitamin c)

Sore throats can be the pits. Mine that I got more than a week ago has just finally started to go away.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Broke down and went to the doctor because it felt like my throat was swelling up.

She took a culture and gave me amoxil.

But! On the bright side (although they _insist_ that I could not possibly still be growing), they're absolutely convinced that I'm 6 ft. tall now.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told for Strep throat, which is viral and anti-biotics do not work on, you should eat ice/icecream for the same reasons you put ice on a sprained ankle, it lowers the swelling.

In your case the anti-biotics should work well, but you have an official excuse to pig out on Ben & Jerries anyway.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Oh, man....and I've been craving that peanut butter cup ice cream so badly....
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
6 ft tall!!!

You grow girl!

[Razz]

(So, how tall is Vin Diesel?)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Strep throat is caused by streptococcus bacteria. It responds very well to antibiotics -- unless you're lucky enough to have a resistant strain, in which case you get to try a second kind of antibiotics! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, can I have some of your inches? [Wink]

And I also second the notion that strep throat is most certainly a bacterial infection. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I also grew an inch long after they swore I should have stopped growing. I mean in my 30s! I attribute it to my being a different species than most people, a super neotenous species, which is why I still get zits in my 40s and like to stay up til 4 am for no reason on weekends and so on. Woo, I hope I reach 6 feet someday too! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Strep throat is caused by the bacteria Streptococcus pyogenes, which has not shown any resistance to penicillin. This is sometimes confused with Streptococcus pneumoniae, which has developed significant antibiotic resistance.

However, Strep pneumo does not cause strep throat, so penicillin always works (so far).

It is indeed important to treat strep throat with antibiotics, because there can be rare but highly toxic complications of the kidneys or heart valves.

DiscoveryHealth has a good website on strep throat.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I got cured of strep pretty easily. I had my tonsils removed when I was 5. Never had it since. [Big Grin]
On a more serious note, are you making sure to rinse your toothbrush in Listerine or replace it after getting better? Sometimes the bacteria can live on it and reinfect you.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To also help your throat heal:
try not to cough or clear your throat (both do horrible things to your vocal chords)

[Frown] Is this all the time, or just when you're sick? Because of the nature of asthma, I have to clear my throat a lot... Is that bad for my voice? [Frown] [Frown] [Angst]

[ December 25, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.