FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!

Author Topic: THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am already having the best Christmas ever. Tonight, I found out that my dad and stepmom are buying me a BRAND-NEW CAR for Christmas!!

I'm about to unleash a long ramble on you all, but it's to explain how incredible and unexpected and needed this gift is!

See, I lived with my mom when I was a kid--my dad left my mom when I was only one year old. Dad and Kathy (stepmom) have always been the stereotypical "stern and cold stepfamily" to me. Mom raised me agnostic and liberal, they were evangelical Christian and conservative. At home, Mom and I were a team, but with Kathy and Dad, they were my PARENTS and I was their CHILD. It was very hard, especially because my mom and my stepmom HATED each other, and my Mom and Dad were only on speaking terms when I was the subject, and speaking was absolutely necessary. They both fought their wars with each other through me, and it was like a twenty-year pressure cooker. When I went to college, I escaped, and I think it really troubled them to see how little time I chose to spend with them. They've been really nice to me lately, but their early domineering and disapproving behavior has led me to hide a large part of myself from them. They have no idea that I'm a pot-smoking left-wing atheistic cynical slacker--and if they knew, they'd probably disown me. As a result, I've been pretty distant to my stepfamily (and, unfortunately, that includes my three AWESOME half-siblings who I LOVE!) lately. We see each other every few months or so nowadays . . . pretty sad.

Anyway, I've been living on my own, trying to survive, and my ancient Honda finally gave out on me about four months ago. I survived on carpooling to a landscaping job (it's snow removal, now). Ironically, the landscaping crew had a deal with the contractor who did Dad's house and subdivision . . . Dad's $1M+ house in an incredible subidivison.

See, this is the interesting part--Dad's rich. He climbed the corporate ladder and now has a TON of cash and stocks and stuff. Back in the day, he never helped me with college, never really helped me with anything. And here I was, working for a landscape crew in the fall and winter, cutting the grass in the entranceway to their rich-assed subidivision? How pathetic is that? The manual labor, keeping the grounds in front of his own father's near-palatial dwelling? Man, that was a tough pill to swallow.

So anyway, I was getting paid in cash, and I was blowing most of that cash trying to fix my Honda. I had just bought a new engine for it, and my friend and I just finished yanking the old engine yesterday. But tonight, Dad called me over for a "chat" . . . turns out they were able to get an incredible deal on a brand-new Pontiac Sunfire, and they'd decided to buy one for me. They're even covering the first three month's insurance! Kathy will be here tomorrow at 9:30 to pick me up and drive me to Flint, where I'll sign the papers and drive the car back up here!!

It's so incredible. Now, I can get a REAL JOB where I don't have to CARPOOL and do physical labor, just to survive! This, like, seriously changes my life. To have a brand-new, under-warranty car? With insurance and roadside assistance and a sunroof and a CD/mp3 player? CRAZY! It's seriously the biggest break I've ever gotten in life, and like the second-best thing ever to happen to me (next to meeting my girlfriend, hee hee! [Smile] ).

Sorry again for the jubilant rambling!

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! I'm glad your parents have decided to come through for you, and I hope this changes your life and relationship with them for the better... [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! May it be the first of many wonderful things coming your way. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should turn it down.

Seriously! That stereo is WAYYYYY too loud. Turn it down.

[Razz]

anyway, I hope your new car does open some doors for you. Well, you'll open the doors, but you know what I mean.

Too bad about the Honda, though. Can you get your money back on the engine?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
First: thanks for all the nice replies! I'm just zinging around the room happy right now!

Second: yeah, there's some value left in the Honda. Now, the front end is a little crunched, and some jerk stole the stereo out (and took the entire center of the dash with it [Frown] ). However, with the new engine, and the turbo kit my friend is donating me, we should be able to make it QUITE fast. At that point, I'll sell it to somebody in my car club. It'll be a track car for the rest of its days, I'm sure.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so cool, policy! Congratulations! That's great that your dad decided to do that for you. It'll be nice to get a real job, I'm sure. Manual labor is great exercise but the pay sucks. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually remarkably conflicted about this -- but while I'll be grinchy enough to MENTION that I'm conflicted, I'm not so grinchy as to explain why at any length.

I'm glad this gift makes you happy.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

Pics!

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/132215/0.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/132215/1.jpg

ana - Thank you for the nice wishes!

Tom - I'm interested to hear what you have to say; it's not actually Christmas anymore, so it wouldn't be too grinchy. I promise I won't flip out on you or anything.

Peace
policy

[ December 27, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: policyvote ]

Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
cool car !!!!!!!

i didn't look at it or actually read any of the posts but i know its cool anyway!!!

i have a car tooo!!!!!!!!

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

quote:
cool car !!!!!!!

i didn't look at it or actually read any of the posts but i know its cool anyway!!!

i have a car tooo!!!!!!!!

Cripes. You try to share a little Christmas joy around here . . . forgive me if I abused the exclamation point during my jubilant outburst.

Peace
policy

[ December 27, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: policyvote ]

Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
oh don't mind me i'm an idiot!

i just post dumb stuff everywhere!

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

quote:
oh don't mind me i'm an idiot!

i just post dumb stuff everywhere!

Ohh, okay. Sweet, then. Rock on.

Peace
policy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.