FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Settle the Debt?

Author Topic: Settle the Debt?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. A new collection agency apparently bought the debt from the other rude one. THIS one actually SENT ME A LETTER (which is what I was waiting for from the other company, because the collectors are horrid on the phone).

Anyway. Should I settle the debt? I'd like to so they'll stop calling, will help my credit, and I'd just FEEL better.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it an honest debt? I mean, they aren't just jerking you around and tacking on fees and stuff for no reason? It's money you owe, right? Pay it! If it's a super-tough burden, ask them about a payment plan. (Which is what the rude phone-callers should have suggested to you in the first place! Grrrr...creditors....grrr...)

*pats mack firmly*

It'll be alright.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay it off.

"Neither a lender nor a borrower be."

(Not that this axiom should be applied universally, but minimizing both lending and borrowing is certainly wise.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
if you want to, you can give money to me and I won't pay you back........

ever.

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the debt that's not really yours but is actually your mom's? Have you written the new creditor and told them the facts of the matter?

I think it depends how much the amount will affect you -- can you pay this fairly easily? or will you have to cut back on a lot of things? -- versus how much effort you're willing to put into NOT paying it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could. I'd like to just settle it and put it behind me and NOT GET THOSE ANNOYING PHONE CALLS. It's the hang-ups that REALLY get me. (They call just to see if you pick up and if you don't and the machine does--hang up.)
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Yes, those are the WORST. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you supposed to be paying this bill, or is it unjust?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It's YOU, isn't it? [Wink]
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, a Discover card I had in collge. [Roll Eyes]

No, it isn't that large of a debt.

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this exact situation two years ago. Well, different parent. I asked him to do the right thing and pay the money he spent on my card ($500), but he wouldn't. I paid it. It took a year, with my other bills, but I paid it. Hopefully you can be more fortunate with your petitioning of the credit company than I was. *sympathy* [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
mack - I don't know what your state offers in terms of the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General's Office to help citizens out with these sorts of issues, but I am gathering that while you might be willing to accept responsibility for the bill there is some question as to whether you are actually responsible or not?

Here in Washington, I could write the AG and set all the story out and enclose copies and notes of any correspondence. Then they would approach the company in question. This frequently encourages the business in question to play fair. Sometimes they even drop the bill entirely. And remove the blot from your good credit.

(Shrugs)

Good luck - [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.