FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death to Dialup!

Author Topic: Death to Dialup!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's with me? Grab your torches and your pitchforks, we're off to r

*your modem has unexpectedly disconnected*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still on 56k, though I just ordered Yahoo! DSL today. I should be living the high life come January 6.

But until then, I commiserate with your situation.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

You know, commiserate's a funny word. I know what it means through context, but without knowing the Latin breakdown of the word, I could use it in just about any setting and get the average American to obey me.

Let us commiserate with the family of the deceased.

Get him, boys! Commiserate the mother****er!

Commiserate the turkey in a pre-heated oven until you see its skin turn a golden brown.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*Has broadband* [Razz]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo - if you get your package early, hook everything up, wiring wise. Don't forget the telephone filters, and make sure they go on everything, and everything is in the phone side except the dsl (in the the dsl/hpna side). If your dsl light (on a Speedstream 5100) is green or broadband light (on a 2wire home portal) is orange or green, run the install software.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmm....DSL with a wireless network. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Fugu, I have no idea what you just said. I mean, really, my eyes glaze over and I hear nursery rhymes in my head. Are you trying to warn me about Yahoo! DSL?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the dialup at home. I much prefer the BYU ethernet, even if it does block just about everything. Censorship is worth the speed, IMO.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, the directions are in the box. I don't think you'll have difficulty with it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(raises torch)

I hate dial-up, too. But I grudgingly accept it because it doesn't kick me off. Yay!

(lowers torch and warms hands on it)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had dial up. It's DSL and then Cable all the way for me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo: most likely you'll have no problem with Yahoo! DSL. However, its setup is more problem prone than, say, cable internet's, though DSL once setup will tend to be more reliable. My advice is to help you possibly get everything working early [Smile] . Your DSL service is supposed to be turned on by the date you were given, but it is not uncommon for it to be turned on early. The lights I suggested you look at indicate if it has, when things are properly wired on the phone end (it does not matter if the dsl modem is connected to the computer).

Don't worry, I've talked people through DSL setup who did not know which button was which on a mouse, or what the words "every phone jack with something plugged into it" meant (a very vexing lack when walking through a DSL install), or how to use a keyboard properly (one guy I never could get to understand the relation between the cursor and the backspace key).

But all of them had DSL when I was done with them, that could.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What kind of relationship do the backspace key and cursor have?

Does the cursor always curse?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, the cursor and the backspace key were just friends!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate dial-up. [Smile]

Perhaps hate is too strong a word. But it severely irritates me. [Smile]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie darling, I am SO with you! *raises torch*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering where we live that running water and electricity are still "new", I have friends that are excited to dial up at 28.8. In all honesty, I bought a new laptop and dialed up at work for the first time with it. I connected at 50.6k and thought that I was really really cool.

I am going to get my pitchfork now...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
You know...back in the day, we'd be streaming at 7k and chattin' with the whole internet on IRC, none of this new fangled GUI AIM stuff. You young whipersnappers shouldn't complaining about your v90 56k and that fancy schtuff. :: shakes finger ::

On the other hand...my dial-up at home is going through a 40 year old phone line that is affected by weather and whether or not the ground is wet...currently, dad is getting 26.5 and can't even properly check his email. And mother is on cable that doesn't run much faster than 56k because this is a rich Seattle suburb where half the people living here work at Microsoft so they're using up all my bandwidth! I say we don't limit our distruction to dial-up but to all connections slower than a t3 line! :: raises torch and cudgul :: death to low bandwidth!!!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Whippersnapper! I remember using 1200 baud modems! I was thrilled when I could upgrade to 2400! 9600 was such a fast connection you had to pay EXTRA for it on most services.

And I still use IRC, and think it is far superior to AIM for group chat. AIM is better for one-on-one, though.

And you can't take my dialup away from me! Until I can afford broadband, it's all *sob* I have!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Our first modem was 33.6.

Then we got a 56K. Then dsl. Now cable.

But in my dorm room....oh, lovely school network....

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

I bow to you!
My father got a 9600 baud modem, but only for fax.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, you're showing your youth. I was excited when I got to upgrade from 300 baud to 1200 baud. Woohoo!
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*jaw drops* It was YOU!

About the time I upgraded to 2400, there was this guy I knew online who was still on a 300 baud modem, which finally died. Then he FINALLY upgraded to 1200.

In any case, my father assures me that I did indeed use a 300 baud modem, back when I just thought going "online" (on the then brand-spankin'-new Prodigy) was so COOL! and didn't have any idea there were different modem speeds.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember surfing bulletin boards on my Commodore 64 at 300 baud, and being TICKED at people who used long signatures full of ASCII characters because it took forever to download each message. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The real question is do you remember TRS-80s? [Big Grin]
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

My dad does!!!
Satyagraha

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, Annie - just look at dial-up as the ultimate form of enforced relaxation. [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Bernard. Now I really feel old! *sigh*
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

Oh no...what makes you feel old is when a student two years younger than you goes "What's a 486?" In a computer networking class. What remembering the TRS-80s does is make you feel old skool! :: bows ::
Satyagraha

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, but you're not all that much younger than I am, and you don't remember 'em, but your FATHER does?

*goes to check for gray hair*

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

I remember them...I just don't remember USING them. My journey into the world of geekdom started with the Commodore 64. :-D
Satyagraha

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A TRS-80 (Model I Level I) was the first computer I used (and on which I learned BASIC), but the first one we owned was a Sanyo (CP/M -- you know, the thing that came out before DOS). The first one I used in a classroom setting was a Commodore PET.

<Doesn't need to check for gray hair -- already knows where it can be found.>

--Pop (feeling like Grandpa, though)

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*ponders* I think the first computer we had at home (and iirc, the second and third as well) was a Compaq. I remember doing interesting things with LOGO.

I learned BASIC on some early Apples (IIc's, maybe?) at school, I think. And then a couple years later, we learned how to type and some simple word processing on those dreadful TRASH-80s. [Big Grin]

[Grumble] I'm too young to feel this old! [Wink]

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I did basic line by line on an interpreter running on a HP2000. There was no monitor. The interface was a printer. You typed in each line of code and it printed it out as you typed.

Then I did Fortran with JCL using an early IBM mainframe. Our interface here was punched cards. There was one monitor in the computer lab but you could never get on it. So you punched a deck of cards and submitted them to the operator to be run, then picked up your print out. I think it was an IBM 370.

Then I did assembly language on a DEC PDP 11/40.

Then CP/M on some hardware platform that I've forgotten. That was just the operating system. It was an early precursor to DOS. We didn't have a compiler on that computer so who knows what we did. Copied files around and printed them out, I guess. <laughs>

Next was COBOL on another IBM mainframe using JCL. Then COBOL again on a Data General DG-8000, I think? DGs were sort of off-shoots of DECs, so it was similar to a VAX. This one had a nice command line interface OS called CLI.

Next I played with DEC VAXes, using Unix OS and also DEC's command line OS VMI? These acronyms are popping up into my mind but I have no idea if I'm remembering correctly. We programmed in C on these, mostly, but also PL/1 and Pascal and Ada.

Later on I had an IBM PC (8086) with a 10MB hard disk, and 5 1/4" floppy that held, what, 360k? It had 256k of memory, and a monochrome monitor.

When I was super hot I got one with a 20MB hard disk, 512k of memory, and a CGA monitor. I programmed in dBASE on that one.

After that, I don't really remember. I do remember seeing at a computer fair a PC with 1 Megabyte of memory! I mean our mainframe only had 9 MB! We ran the whole darn insurance company on that one. We were just like, "WHOA! 1 MEGABYTE!"

A guy I programmed with in those days had once soldered boards for his programs. That was before my time. But my aunt helped write in machine language (all 1s and 0s) one of the very first assemblers (the program that converts assembly language code such as "MOV #16 @5" to machine language). She got her degree in math. There were no such things as computer science majors in those days.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

So...when's the lynching of the dialupness?

:: pokes sis :: You and Dad, both crazy engineers learning all that old stuff.
Satyagraha

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> Well, yeah, but it was cutting edge when I did it. Or something like that. [Smile]

After learning a dozen computer languages and a dozen operating systems, I got bored with computers, though. Now I only learn the bare minimum required to get by. That's sad, but my mind just rejects that stuff now. It realizes it's a waste to learn anything about computers when it's just going to be obsolete before it ever needs it again. So I have to ask now about almost everything. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.