FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob, could you give me some quick help please?

Author Topic: Bob, could you give me some quick help please?
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on a speech over the holidays about drunken driving, and I wanted to put in a reference to...that report you mentioned in a thread about being on tv, the one that said that a lot of the drunks who have their lisences taken away keep driving, but i cannot seem to find it-could you tell me where it could be found, or just how to cite it? I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I want this speech as good as i can get it-maybe I'll actually persuade someone-and I need to finish it by saturday
-Toretha

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go:

Unlicensed to Kill

it's a pdf so be ready for a download or screen to open

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

I LOVE YOU FOREVER! Thank you so much!!! Information....i love information, and this has so much more useful information than i turned up in three weeks of research!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Googling "unlicensed to kill" "the sequel" gets http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:dOyhrGYYOmsJ:www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/UnlicensedToKill2.pdf+%22unlicensed+to+kill%22+%22the+sequel%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 for the HTML version.

[ January 07, 2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
::loves google::
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned something new, too! Bob has a PhD!

Doctor Bob!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Google is good for producing easy scrolling readable/transferable text.
However, Google's translation of PDF often messes up or omits ordered lists, charts, and pictures.

[ January 07, 2004, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Ordered lists are the bread and butter of traffic safety!!!

Must...
Not...
Omit...

Toretha, you're welcome. Good luck on the report. I'd love to see it when you are finished.

Ryuko, I could've sworn you knew. Oh well, it's not like it's a big secret or anything. My degree is in experimental Psychology from Columbia University -- I ran rats in mazes and pigeons in Skinner boxes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ryuko, I could've sworn you knew. Oh well, it's not like it's a big secret or anything. My degree is in experimental Psychology from Columbia University -- I ran rats in mazes and pigeons in Skinner boxes.
...and now he does experimental psychology tests on us here at Hatrack.....

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ordered lists always fall messy side down?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, you're wonderful.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

I love you both now, thanks! And, Bob, it's not a report. It's actually a speech, I'm easing into competing in speech events as well as in debate, and this is the topic of my persuasive for the rest of the year.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha you are an LD debater aren't you? Do you also do impromptu and extemp? Usually debaters kick butt in these think-on-your-feet speech events. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- Forgets EVERYTHING. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

<opens notebook>

<places checkmark in column 8 alongside FarmGirl's name>

[Big Grin]

rivka...that's SOoooo true!

Toretha
Member # 2233

did LD in highschool, now i do parlimentary, or IPDA, if my partner for parli can't make the meet. I've never tried any of the speech events before, this persuasive is my first shot. i may try improptu, but extemp requires too much knowledge of the news for me to be able to keep up with it, debate AND my schoolwork. Did you do speech?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Speech? Speech?

If they had told me in high school how critically important debating skills, extemp/impromptu/off the top of your head "BS" skills were, I'd have studied a lot harder . . . sigh.

One staff meeting is worth one speech meet.

One videoconference with contractors is worth a month . . .

Double sigh. [Grumble]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

also, being on the speech&debate team is a lot more FUN way to get experience than those meetings!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I think you have a point there . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
:: Gives Toretha the NFL (National Forensics League) secret handshake ::

I did some LD and speech in high school and did some judging in college. I think reading Hatrack will more than adequately prepare you for any extemp topic. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that you'd lived in NYC, Bob, but I didn't realize that you had gone to Columbia.

Eugene Galanter's psychology courses were my favorite classes. If I ever go back to Columbia, I'm definitely going to be torn between a psych major and the School of Journalism.

*adds Bob to his list of favorite fellow Lions, right under Samuel Johnson*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
<places checkmark in column 8 alongside FarmGirl's name>
[Big Grin]

(..hmmm.... wonder which test that means I passed... or failed...)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

hatrack might prepare you to speak on any topic-but you need to cite sources from multiple articles, and help keep up the extemp box too. too much for me! [Razz]

what speech events did you do-and why on earth did you only judge in college?

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*slips into the NFL club*

That's exactly why I only did Impromptu. No pesky box upkeep, memorize a few poems to open, and riff. [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

what are impromptu topics like?
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Usually, a noun, a current event, and a wild card. You get the slip of paper with the three words, pick a word, and then give a five-six minute speech.
Toretha
Member # 2233

a NOUN? like...?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I judge high school debate and forensics. I love it.

I especially like the forensics category where the team picks two (or it is three) unrelated sentences from strips of paper in a pot of ideas, then they have like 5 minutes to come up with a skit that uses those three ideas all together...

Farmgirl

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

balloon, tree, ocean, Beethoven, statistics

Like that. At least, that's what it was like when I was in high school.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know formal debate has always intrigued me but never seemed like something I could have fun doing, though everyone I knew who was into it claimed it was a blast. It isn't that I dislike public speaking, because it has never bothered me, but just I never could wrap my mind around all the rules etc.

But that thing where you are given three words? I could do that! And I'd have fun doing it. I'd have to be careful not to be circular and to wind it up at the end but I if I concentrated I could manage that.

Now do you have to tie all of those topics together in the same 5 minutes, or just pick one and run with it?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Depends. Usually, you just pick one and run with it. You have seven minutes, and you can spend them any way you wish, but to win, you spend one minute speaking and 5-6 minutes talking.

It was SOOOO much fun. I miss it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.