FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A really great Christmas gift

Author Topic: A really great Christmas gift
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got it today because it wasn’t clear how it would work originally, but now I have it. One 15 weeks subscription to the Wall Street Journal online. There’s a special student discount so it’s only about $35 for it, I (along with my Grandfather) went through and ordered it today. However, we discovered something else very interesting, I’m also getting the print version included in this price! I’m quite excited, next week (Tuesday) the print WSJ will begin arriving at my dorm and I have the online version to go through. I’ve spent much of the evening pursuing through, getting excited so now I’m sharing with all of you. [Cool] I highly recommend it as a news source. Same reason I almost only watch CNBC is that when it comes to an economic news source there’s almost no editorializing (comparatively anyways) and I can stand that bull. [Mad]

*Calms down* Anyways I’m having a great time with my new gift. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

And I officially disallow anyone from doing the "A really great Christmas grift" dobie. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, it's worth noting that you should not rely exclusively on the WSJ for your news. It's as biased in its own way as most papers.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you pop it up on your computer through your school library?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Nope, at least not as an undergrad, you'll have to ask Celia if she can do it (grad-student there). I can do that for monthly journals and what not but Purdue doesn't get anything like WSJ. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me get this straight. You're getting excited over a newspaper? [Confused]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, Kama, that's what I was just thinking...

But Hobbes, that's great! [Wink] It's awesome that you're getting so much enjoyment out of it! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, you're a dork. my sister wasn't this excited about her cosmo subscription and that's freaking cosmo!

um, i have access to it through the library, but getting to it is annoying. are you sure you don't? are you sure this isn't like that time you told me the libraries didn't have internet access here? [Razz]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] I didn't tell you that, I told you that you had to sign in which was true for the main library.

Hobbes [Smile]

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's great, Hobbes! I love the WSJ! My mom has been getting it for years, and she's a super smart investor. But calling it unbiased is a laugh. It's rightist as can be! Sheesh! Unbiased! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

<grin> It seems to me it's biased, but not in a typical way. It's biased in that in only reports things as they relate to the economy, so you'll get one side of the story certainly. Thing is that you know that's what it'll be and it's not actually changing facts (or picking one-sided statistics or whatever), it's just not reporting anything that it doesn't think has to do with money. That's a much easier bias to deal with than liberal or conservitive. I really don't think it's either, not in a serious way.

Hobbes [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.