FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Playing the banjo

Author Topic: Playing the banjo
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
I was given a banjo for christmas. I am wondering whether anyone in that crazy world they call hatrack has any clues as to playing the banjo and, if so, how I too may learn to be proficient. Thanks all you brothers and sisters in the banjo. Keep on twangin'.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
google for "how to play the banjo" sites. I bet there are lots. I know there are tons of great ones for guitar.

I have never played banjo and don't even know how they are tuned, so I can't help you at all. But I think they sound terrific. The very first song I would learn if I got a banjo is one off Beck's Stereopathetic Soul Manure called "Today has been a F****d Up Day". It's a traditional mountain blugrass song, I think. A classic.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have Dueling Banjo's playing in their head?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have relief for Papa Moose playing in my head. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch Harold and Maude as inspiration, then learn how to play "If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out" by Cat Stevens.

Good Luck.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mel Bay has a book for everything ...
Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a five string banjo or a tenor banjo?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference bewteen a trampoline and a banjo?

You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
To Glenn: Its a five string Banjo

To Annie: A Big "Ha ha".

Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to know what Stairway to Heaven sounds like on the banjo...you definitely need to learn it. [Cool]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
A tenor banjo can be played like a mandolin, tuned the same as a violin, and you can play anything you can pick out of a scale, or strum it for rhythm.

To play five string banjo, you have to retune the drone string depending on what key you're playing in.

My mother plays 5 string banjo, and I tried to learn some stuff, but I didn't stick to it because I couldn't figure out all the tunings. I'll stick with guitar.

I'd say you should look for a folk music organization in your area. As with any instrument, the best way to do it is to learn from people who know the instrument. Either take lessons, or become friends with someone who plays. Also, see if you can pick a style you like, bluegrass or frailing are the major divisions that I'm aware of. It probably pays to try to learn one style at a time, so you don't get confused by switching. Bluegrass has been big since the 70's, but frailing is coming back. Old Pete Seegar albums are frailing style. You can sing and play at the same time more easily.

What does it mean when a banjo player drools out of both sides of his mouth?

The stage is level.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I started playing mandolin last spring. Besides taking at least a few lessons, I'd suggest looking up some chords for the banjo to get you started. I find that playing chords is easier than simply picking, and with the most basic chords, you can already play a wealth of songs. For example, the first thing I ever played on mandolin was "La Bamba". G, C, D.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The first song I learned on guitar was Silent Night. A E D
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Javert,

You could always get your hands on Dolly Parton's cover of Stairway.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if there is a music store nearby that sells banjos, there will be people who play who work there, hang out there, buy their instruments there, and so on. A great resource.

The music that's home-grown and very vibrant in the Birmingham area is mostly bluegrass and folk type music, and there is a music store in Homewood called Fretted Instruments that specializes in banjos and mandolins and so on. Most of the other area music stores sell more guitars and keyboards and amps and other sound equipment, as for a rock band. But this one place for many years had daily lunchtime bluegrass jam sessions. I used to go and listen sometimes. I love to hear people making music. The type of music being played doesn't even matter as much as the spirit they put into it. It was a lot of fun. [Smile]

So see if you can hook up with anything of the sort that might be going on in your town. You will be glad you did.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Banjo is awesome! unfortunatly, I know nothing about it. Good luck!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Additional note:

Frailing is also called "clawhammer style," it's more like strumming and consequently easier than bluegrass. But you still have to contend with the tunings.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.