FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plan Kama's visit to the US (very tentative) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Plan Kama's visit to the US (very tentative)
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I still don't know if I'll get a visa and stuff, but I'd love to come over for a few weeks in the summer, Hatrackon or not.

But anyways:

Boon gave me the idea - a road trip. I could stay a couple days with a Hatracker, who would then drive me to another Hatracker; we'd hang out, then Hatracker 1 would go back home, while Hatracker 2 would take me to Hatracker 3 etc.

Basically, I'd spend a day (or 2 or 3) with several Hatrackers, visiting several places...

What do you think?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
::runs around in circles::

[Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, huh. I'm so totally willing to be part of this! Just think, the chance to meet Kama, and at least 2 other HRers as well!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still rather use Kama as the major draw for HatrackCon next summer, but I like this idea, too. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

The two aren't mutually exclusive, though, Tom, are they? [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't she just send herself over onto a server or something. Isn't she a computer program? [Wink]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Funny is so obsessed with Kama's software, he thinks that there's no reason to take a good glimpse at her hardware.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] T_Smith
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds great...except the part that involves driving Kama to another Hatracker.

*curses the fates for not having a car*

But wait, I have an idea. Kama, if you're in a city visiting a Hatracker, and there just happens to be other Hatrackers in the same city, what's to stop more visiting than one at a time? [Smile]

*hopes someone else in Philly is reading this [Wink] *

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome to stop by here in the middle of America any time, Kama. I'll roll out the red carpet...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm game too! In fact, Boon and FarmGirl aren't too terribly far from Caleb and tabithecat. Who in turn aren't horribly far from where I am...Or they're actually even closer to where dkw is.

As the nazgul flies anyway.

And let's see...TomD and katharina are here in TX...and some others even, right? I've forgotten.

But there's also John Keats who has a friend in Dallas and could maybe come down again to TX.

I'm still trying to get Icarus & Cor to come to TX. Maybe they could take you back to FL...big clump in FL.

Kama...you'd better plan on spending at least 3 months.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably within an easy drive of Farmgirl. So if you make it to the midwest, that's a link.

If you could find a way that you fly in to the east coast and out from the west coast (or the reverse) it would be kind of fun to see if we could pass you all the way across the country. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*lives in Washington D.C.*
*has a car*
*would be willing to participate*

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Lives in Southwestern NY state. Has a car. Knows how it operates. Is willing to participate. *grin*

I mean, how many of us are privileged to meet a living, breathing computer program???

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
But Bob...do you really want the majority of Kama's visit to the entire US to be in...*gulps* Texas? [Wink] *snicker*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only hope that Bob was joking about my presence in Texas. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Lives in Southern Indiana. Has a car. Would be willing to participate.

Hey, we have IU, it's not all cornfields.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
By IU, I assume you mean Pudue. [Taunt] [Wink] All though this summer I'll most likely be in Colorado so it's a moot point for me anyways. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Kama...you'd better plan on spending at least 3 months
Don't I wish... Maybe one day, when I'm terribly rich. [Big Grin]

quote:
If you could find a way that you fly in to the east coast and out from the west coast (or the reverse) it would be kind of fun to see if we could pass you all the way across the country
I'm pretty sure it's possible; and what fun this would be!

I could make a stop for the Con in the middle of my trip or something [Wink]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom...I'm sorry. I thought you lived in TX. Where are you?

Oh well.

SOMEONE else lives in TX and I've forgotten who that is...(besides Kat, of course).

I like the idea of passing Kama across the country from East to West or vice versa.

I think part of your trip should be along the I-10 corridor. We could even take you to New Orleans which is either the best or the worst place in the country (if not the world) depending on ones point of view.

Also, I wouldn't mind driving you up from TX to the Kansas/Missouri folks or down from there to TX or from TX to someplace East (or West) Whatever works. I'll take a least one "leg" of Kama.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Kayla is up there in the Midwest as well.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks to me like she needs to land in NYC, swing down the eastern seaboard, across the southern U.S. to California, then back across the northern U.S. hitting the midwest and Chicago for the con, then back through Philly to NYC. Looks like a perfect itenarary to me. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You're thinking of Thor, Bob.

Though how you got TomD and Thor confused. . .I'm at a loss.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I won't have more than 3 weeks off. Let's keep that in mind.

But oh this sounds so great!!!

<-- excited

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
this summer my wife and I will be in the midst of finalizing our adoption, or adjusting the kids to normal life.

That means I've run out of room to put a Kama.

However, if you get near MO, I'll visit with anyone else who can put you up, if I'm home. (Fugu?)

With my luck though, during the two weeks you are bumbing around the US, I'll be in Russia getting the my kids.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really matter where you go...I'll be there.

[Evil]

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, when will this be? Let me know and I'll try to coordinate some rendezvous, if I happen to be on my bike trip at the time. Then we can do all sorts of unmentionable things to make John jealous.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I'm thinking August.

*wonders if hanging out with Eddie is a safe idea* [Wink]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely not.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Hanging out with anyone from Hatrack is never a safe idea. That's why get-togethers are prefered....safety in numbers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

All right, I know this is a very early planning stage, but how much of a trip would be possible in 3 weeks? I mean, Ak's idea is great, but I doubt I'd have enough time for that... So I might be limited to the east and mid-east? Or not?

<-- knows nothing about travelling and distances and such

Javert
Member # 3076

I imagine it would depend most on how long you spent at each stop. The trip in itself, I'm pretty sure, could be done in a few weeks.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SOMEONE else lives in TX and I've forgotten who that is...(besides Kat, of course).
*raises hand* I'm in Houston.
(but only until May)

Thor, David Bowles (although he's far away), T. Analog Kid, and Lead (I think?) are all in Texas.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and mid-east?
Driving to the mideast from the US might pose some logistical problems.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Razz]

Yeah yeah

whatever the region's called then.

Boon
unregistered

Why don't we (all of us interested in taking a leg) post our city and state. Or at least the nearest (within, say, 30 miles) city/town. Then, I'll plot them all on a map, and see what we've got. What think you?

I'm just south of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm in Bryan/College Station which is sort of close to Houston, TX.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - we're forgetting that we're talking about the middle of summer. A poor unsuspecting European girl does not need to be thrust into the heat of a summer in the south. (blech!) I suggest we keep her entirely within the rocky mountain states and the pacific northwest. It's the least we can do. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Quit tryin' to be stingy with the Kama, Annie. There IS such thing as air conditioning, ya know? [Razz]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Wisconsin, we offer:

NEW! Massaging chair!
New futon, with two attached cats if desired
Cable TV in your bedroom
Wooded hills in the park that lies just outside the porch
A personalized Girl Gift Basket with toiletries and a chocolate bar
Eliptical stair-climbing workout equipment
Balcony with comfy chairs and your own two-cup coffee-maker

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I'm willing to pass the baptism of fire and try to endure the Southern weather [Smile]
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that Wisconsin also offers the Tolkien Collection! I may be rather out and aboutish as well, but a visit would be beyond awesome! I haven't met any international 'rackers yet!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

You could make it coast to coast and back in three weeks if you wanted to spend the whole time driving.

Assuming that you only want to drive, say, 4-8 hours per day and only drive every other day, you could still zig-zag across the country, just not back again.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Hmmm...

I think limiting this to the eastern part of the country would be rational... and I'd still have the reason to go back next time [Wink]

So, what? A circle including NYC, Texas, Oklahoma and Chicago? What else? Florida? Is that good for 3 weeks of not-only-driving-but also-having-fun?

I suppose I could take a plane/bus/train? to skip any Jatraquero-less areas...

[ January 11, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

dkw
Member # 3264

NYC to Jexx in SW New York to Indiana (Celia, Hobbes) to Chicago(Banna OJ) to Madison (Tom, Christy & CT) to Iowa (me) to Kansas(Farmgirl) to Tulsa (Boon) to Texas (Bob) and then across the south and up the coast to wind up back in New York.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Saint Louis is in the east. Barely. We're the gateway to the west, after all!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And there're a lot more people in Indiana than just celia and hobbes. I could make it up to Bloomington, at least, if you stopped by there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*coughs*

quote:
Lives in Southern Indiana. Has a car. Would be willing to participate.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Go a little bit more South than NYC. There are plenty of Jatros in Jersey, Penn, Maryland, and around DC I'm sure.
dkw
Member # 3264

Sorry blacwolve. I knew I should have gone back and re-read the thread. [Embarrassed]
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, blacwolve, so you can use that car to visit her when she's here, staying with me. [Wink]

(edit: and bring the snowman!)

[ January 11, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.