FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cool Music or am I OLD

Author Topic: Cool Music or am I OLD
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A new station has started up here in St. Louis--or rather an old station has a new format.

It used to be the best of the 80's and 90's music. It was called, "The Mall" and I enjoyed it. Hey, I grew up in the 80's and the 90's.

Then around Thanksgiving they closed up and fired their annoying juvenile day time dj's. They spent the next month plus playing Christmas music while choosing a new format.

I was betting on yet another pop or country station.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

They are calling it "Hot Music With Style".

Digital quality Jazz, Swing, Blues and associated music.

It is the Rat Pack better than I have ever heard them, plus other Cool Hip music ranging from Bing Crosby to Rod Stewart. It transcends decades.

The music has a great beat, beautiful sound, and fun lyrics that do not require the written music to dechipher.

There are things missing from much modern music, feeling, harmony, depth.

Big band music fills my radio.

Everyone I mention this station too has fallen in love with it including my 17 year old neice and the strange woman in the next office who tried to coin the phrase "bling bling" for office use.

I am suprised by the number of songs they play that others have redone, much worse than the original.

After listening to it at work I feel the need to put on my tuxedo and have a martini.

The call number is 104.1 but I doubt they have a web station up yet.

Am I just old, enjoying my parents music but much clearer and sharper than I've ever heard it in the past or does anyone else have a inkling that they will enjoy it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That, and mostly before, is pretty much all I listen to... I'm seventeen...

I wouldn't worry, Dan. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you are old. So am I. I love Big Band and Swing Jazz. I also (I assert defensively) like Nickelback and Jane's Addiction.

But on my mp3 player right now: Dean Martin, the Vamps ('bambu, bambu' --it's kind of like Carmen Miranda), Rosemary Clooney and Cab Calloway ('eeeeeeverybody eats when they come to my house!'). Woohoo! Fun to listen to while grocery shopping or waiting for the bus.

My brother was in "Jazz Ensemble" in college, and I used to sit in the auditorium to listen to them rehearse. It was wonnnnnnnnderful. They had a vocalist who did a great rendition of "Birdland".

I wish I had a radio station like that where *I* live. *sniff*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
That music is ageless and eternally cool. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 25 and I love pop standards like Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday and all manners of jazz and big band.
Music has no age. [Cool]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not old, thou art decrepid in thy taste, from the time when thou hast grown up, the best bands where, The Ramones, Queen, and The Monkees. Thou canst dig it.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Pshhht, Rhaegar is uneducated...

Right now, on my CD is "Fly Me To The Moon" -- Sinatra. [Big Grin] I love that song!!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny... as I read this thread, I happened to be listening to "Pharaoh's Dance" from Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. Not that this particular album is likely to come up on your station, but it's in the ballpark, eh?

I love it when people are open minded about music. Nothing bothers me more than people who say, "why are you listening to that old stuff" or "I don't like anything that was made before I was born." As though no one in the history of the world knew anything about music until they came into the world. How arrogant. And it happens a lot.

I used to think that there were good genres and bad genres of music. Gradually I've been exposed to music outside my comfort level, and I've discovered that there's some good (and some bad) to be found in nearly every genre and every time period. I used to have a knee-jerk hate reaction toward Country music, for example. Now (although I still don't like most of it, particularly modern country) I don't know how I lived without my Roger Miller, Johnny Cash and Lyle Lovett albums, among others. I used to hate the very idea of soul music. But now I couldn't be happier than when I'm listening to some old Stevie Wonder, Al Green or Curtis Mayfield. In fact, the only music I really tend to steer clear of is modern pop. Not that there's any less good music being produced today than there was in times past. But it's so much easier to find good music after the chaff has been sifted out by the passage of a decade or so. I discovered Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in the '80s, Dire Straits and Talking Heads in the '90s, and I've recently started digging The Barenaked Ladies, Beastie Boys and Chris Isaak. I have a few new albums (Dido, Ben Folds, etc.), but I'm sure in about ten years I'll discover a bunch of really cool stuff that's being released now.

Anyway, bravo to your station, and bravo to you for listening to it. I wouldn't say you're old. I'd say you're wise beyond your years.

[ January 12, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, your archaic verbiage is getting to me. As Cher sayeth in Moonstruck: "Snappeth Out of It!"

But I have to agree that the Ramones and Queen are terrific. The Monkees are fun, too, but not on a par with the Ramones or Queen (sez I).

This thread is about Big Band, though! Jazz! Woohoo!

Billie Holliday tears my heart out with her melancholy beauty.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dan, you're old. You're older than me, therefore you are old.

But you also have good taste in music, so it all balances out... [Razz] [Wink]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Most modern pop is so... disposible. Back in the old days they KNEW how to make good songs.
Especially Cole Porter. He's the best lyricist EVER and Duke Ellington in terms of composition. And the sweet Trumpet style of Louie Armstrong.
Then you get swing music. Swing is wonderful. Oh, it's so good!
But I like almost everything if it is done well with a lot of feeling and style. Even some disco is good. If I Can't Have You is a great song! And I will survive has such inspiring lyrics.
Even some country songs are worth listening to like Just to See You Smile and She thinks My Tractor's Sexy.
I just don't like the twangy TOO country songs or the ones that are uncomfortably patriotic.
Even Agulera has a few good songs and Celine Dion has 2 songs I like.
Then there is classical to consider... *Could go on and on and on an don about music*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Jazz is great, though I have a liking for bits and pieces of everything.

By the way, this probably isn't considered "real swing," but does anybody here like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? I do, though I have yet to buy a CD.

[ January 12, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved jazz. My favorite musician in the big band genre is Benny Goodman. But then, I'm a (not very good) clarinet player, and anyone who can make my instrument sound so hip and happy has my vote.

Another one that I love is Louis Prima. If anyone likes swing and doesn't have, at the very least, this album, do yourself a favor and get it immediately. My wife will back me up on that.

A bit of Rat Pack is a good thing to have in a record collection, too. I never cared for them much until I got married. My wife is a monster Dean Martin fan, and I'm a convert now. What an incredibly cool cat. I want to learn Italian just so I can sound that smooth.

"Buena sera, senorina, buena sera..."

[ January 13, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, the ramones are the fathers of punk, and if anyone disagrees...well...then they disagree, but still though they had very little musical talent, their music helped spark a movement that still lives on today... [Hat] thank you...
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
(and jazz is awesome too...max roach is my idol)-he's a drummer if you didn't know
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
"Buena sera, senorina, buena sera..."

What's really creepy is that I was listening to that song on my "Sentimental Journey" CD when I read that!!! [Eek!]

I love Louis Prima.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Music is timeless, Dan.

People, however, are not. [Razz]

My son just chose (he's soon to be 10) a BBKing CD over Elvis. Now how cool is that? [Cool]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.