FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *sob* My son prefers the Hardy Boys to the Narnia Chronicles *sob* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *sob* My son prefers the Hardy Boys to the Narnia Chronicles *sob*
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm pretty sure that none of the books available to us in our school library or via book orders were progressive enough to feature male cheerleaders. Were there lots of male cheerleaders in fiction 18 years ago? Or in real life?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
There were male cheerleaders all over Texas when I was a kid. Maybe it was just California?

And there HAD to be male cheerleaders in order to have the soap opera drama.

----

Okay, I just spent the last five minutes trying to find a site somewhere, of any kind, that explains the Cheerleaders series.

Tip: Do not search for "cheerleaders series flirting" from a work computer.

I did find one place that claimed to have an author that wrote a whole lot of trash novels, including five for the Cheerleaders, but, sadly, I can't find a picture of a Cheerleaders book or a synopsis of one of the series anywhere.

It shows how oblivious I was to the other that this series was my sole source of knowledge concerning the cheerleading/money/boys/blond/popular world for years.

*sigh* And when I did finally encounter that world, I barely recognized it because it looked nothing like the books. Don't ask me how I was irritated with Camelot for inaccurately portraying the middle ages but took on faith that cheerleaders really acted like the people in these books.

[ January 13, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
"Just William" could be fun - and a way of getting out of the Hardy Boys - my cousin loved those when he was six or so.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
There were male cheerleaders all over Texas when I was a kid. Maybe it was just California?
Maybe. Or maybe you should just get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!

(I mean, really, if I'm going to be the sexist one around here I might as well try to get a sandwich out of it.)

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. He doesn't look like Joey.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

[Big Grin] It shouldn't come as a giant shock to find out that Joey is my favorite character from that show.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this book kat?

Amazon is your friend. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!

No pictures, though. I really want to find a picture of one of the covers. The cover truly conveys just how trashy these books are. [Smile]

*sob* And I remember them all! The heroine's name is Mary Ellen, and she looks like a beauty queen, but she's poor, and she's in love with a poor boy whose after school job is owning a trash collecting business (at 17!), but she's ashamed of him, so she keeps dumping him for the rich snot on her squad, and generally treating him like dirt, but she's so pretty and nice otherwise he puts up with it, until he doesn't anymore and her heart is broken and he's dating someone else on the squad, but secretly he still loves her and that's when my friend stopped collecting the books! I don't know what happened! I HATE that!

[ January 13, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm having flashbacks, kat. [Wink] I think I only read 2 or 3 of them, though. Then I switched to the far-superior-but-only-in-a-relative-sense Sweet Valley High books. [Blushing] Beverly Hills 90210 for the literary set. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Oh, I read those, too. I consoled myself with my cultural-brownie-point credentials by never actually owning them, but borrowing them from my best friends whose older sister collected an awesome amount of trashy teenage romances.

I remember we spent one night hanging out at age 20 or so just going through them and reading them all. We read almost thirty books that night and laughed hysterically at every one. It was so much fun.

Hey.... Olivia, do you happen to have any? [Smile] For, say, 3:00 in the morning? *looks hopeful* You know, just in case.

[ January 13, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft! Who owned them? That's what the library (walking distance from my parents house, thank God) was for!

If you are going to read them at Wenchcon, go for the ones by the original author -- the first dozen or so, iirc. After that, they got trashy and stupid. [Big Grin]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Christopher caught me reading his Narnia book to myself tonight and told me that I could read them to him if I liked. He was very sorry that he threw a fit last night about them and he thought that if I read him another chapter, he might grow to like it. It was very sweet. I told him that we would finish all of the Hardy Boys books first, and then we could try the Narnia books again. He seemed kind of relieved. [Wink]

I read a couple of Sweet Valley High books, but they came out just as I was leaving that time in my life when those were interesting. I did, however, steal my mom's Joan Collins books (who hides books from a teenager on top of the *fridge*?? Just my mom, I guess. *grin*) and read Danielle Steele. Suitably trashy, or trashily unsuitable? Hehe.

Again, everyone, thank you for your recommendations.

Except for Taalcon. There is no WAY I'm reading more than one chapter from the Hardy Boys books per night. I'd fall asleep in the chair. Christopher would poke me with his Max Steel action figure. There would be all kinds of grumpiness. [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the Hardy Boys until I was a teenager at least. I loved that series. It accounts for a number of archaic expressions in my speech, sadly.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.