FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Read this first -- AGAIN! (first posted Jan 2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Read this first -- AGAIN! (first posted Jan 2004)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feed trolls. Please.

Just bump this thread instead. We're all bright people; we'll get the picture.

[ March 16, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] I'm afraid I'm not bright enough to get your point, CT [Embarrassed]

[ January 13, 2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] seconded.

There's only one thread currently on the front page that may be considered trolling, and I read that one more like a lame attempt to be funny than genuinely trollish. Is there something specific that prompted this, or is it just a general reminder?

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

That must be because we're European, Tristan [Big Grin] (It's ironic of course)
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hi, guys.

As I put it in Frisco's thread, I don't take well to mockery of other persons for sport and pleasure. It's not only unfunny, it's boorish and inacceptable behavior in our hosts' virtual living room.

You know, the smarmy uncle-in-law who says inappropriate things at the family reunion, the one who thinks he's a real riot, mainly because he cannot distinguish between wit and shock value. [Roll Eyes]

[ January 13, 2004, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well I agree with you that the thread definitely is in bad taste. However, I had a look on what else the person in question has posted on this board, and it does not appear as if he or she fits the classic definition of a troll, that is posting outrageous things just to elicit a response to feed his or her ego. I am open to the possibility that he or she is genuinely trying to be funny and that a scathing response might better correct his (or her) misguided attempt than ignoring it.

[ January 13, 2004, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]

It's my own form of shocked yet egotistical protest.

a. I consider my direct attention to be too valuable and exciting to waste on it, and

b. I hope the post just drops off the face of the earth, and

c. I'm just waaaay too tired of seeing people confuse wit with shock value. It's depressing.

TroII
Member # 6099

- posted      Profile for TroII           Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAARGH! FEED ME!

Preferably biscuits.

Maybe some country gravy.

Or I'll eat your soul. I'm totally not kidding.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*lets slip a tantalizing whisp of her soul-nightie

Oooops ... my goodness ...

[Wink]

[Big Grin]

Anna
Member # 2582

Oh. Think I got it. I hadn't read this thread.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
**still trying to figure out who is the troll, and in which thread** back to reading...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

CT, is it OK if I give the troll a little cookie ? I mean, he may be less stupid if he eats. Sugar is good for the brain [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*figured it out*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I had hopes for a while that the troll's thread would fall straight off the first page with zero replies. One day that will happen, and I will cheer. [Big Grin] One day that is what will happen to all trolls. We will just watch their drivel go whizzing down the board and jump off the diving board into oblivion. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So create a bunch of new threads to push it down!
[Big Grin]

FG

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the smarmy uncle-in-law who says inappropriate things at the family reunion, the one who thinks he's a real riot, mainly because he cannot distinguish between wit and shock value.
Hey! You were at Christmas Eve! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
For the last time people (well, probably not the last time), just because you disagree with someone, or think they are unfunny, or think they are dumb, or think their style is dumb, or are just annoyed by someone does NOT give you the right to declare them a troll and mock them. A troll is someone who intentionally attacks a forum, not someone who unintentionally does something to offend you. Too often "don't feed the troll" really just means "This guy annoys me for some reason so let's ostracize him until he goes away."

And if you have a problem with someone's behavior, plese take it up politely with them rather than start threads like this.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But you haven't gone away yet, Tres.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"So create a bunch of new threads to push it down"

I think it's better to bring up threads you like. I tried this once, CT, and it actually drew more attention to the thread I was protesting.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

But I have been thinking lately if there shouldn't be some standard of thread rating. I guess when my kids get in high school and I'm worried about them reading Hatrack at the library or away from home, I can just tell them to avoid certain people. I was recalling my comments on "The One Ring" thread and wishing the subject line had indicated it was about contraception. I don't mind kids having facts, but I don't want them exposed to folks bandying around about that sort of thing. I'm going to start thinking a little harder about what I'm posting here, keeping in mind that other people's 15 year olds are about.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

:bump: because I put a content advisory request ont he other thread
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think some things should be self-censored on hatrack. I also think, however, that suppressing knowledge and discussion of something like abortion due to age is silly. It is important that someone be able to make an informed decision on such a subject, and the only way to make an informed decision is through information, opinion, and discussion. If a person is interested enough to read the page at age fifteen, I think, then they are going to be able to be mature about it. More likely, they'll look at the thread, roll their eyes at yaat (yet another abortion thread), and move on.

People are free to censor their own children as they see fit, but I do not think that forthright discussion which is careful to avoid inappropriate references should be required to label itself, whether its about abortion or the latest Pixar flick. Informed decisions are important, and restricting information flow so children only make the "right" decision is harmful and often counterproductive.

IMO, of course.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And one more thing:

Everyone (male and female alike) do your kegels.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka IMO if a 15 year old isn't aware of abortion issues by that time (whether pro life or pro choice) they should be. In fact they should be educated by their parents at or before puberty. Once they have reached a biologically reproductive age (whether or not society feels it is appropriate) they should be aware of the issues involved. Yes I know some girls now begin menses as early as eight or nine, and we'd like to keep our children in childhood forever. But not making them aware of consequences is the greater disservice. None of the serious discussions that I have seen have been raunchy or sexually explicit. That I could see objections too. But discussing serious issues? Heck this is a place where some 15 year olds come because it is the only place they can discuss them since their peers are unwilling to.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tresopax and pooka, I very firmly and energetically support such thoughtful critiques as yours. I'm also very glad you were comfortable with posting them in this thread.

Thanks! [Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

I guess I'll quote myself for those of you who think I'm priggish:
quote:
I don't mind kids having facts, but I don't want them exposed to folks bandying around about that sort of thing

fugu13
Member # 2859

But we aren't just bandying about. We're discussing serious issues and facts. Yet you object to kids those ages reading what we're saying.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the "troll" thread already gone? I don't see anything objectionable on the first or second pages. And it doesn't seem very nice to declare someone a troll and then make people guess as to who you're talking about. At least state what thread you're referring to.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

RRR, I am so not nice.

My husband calls me Spike.

[Big Grin]

But thanks for the feedback! [Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

She didn't delete the reference to which thread it was.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread still seems appropriate . . .

[ January 23, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so out of it. Which thread is it/was it?

It wasn't something I said, was it?

<I'm so slow...>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused too, Bob - oh well . . . maybe some day it will all come clear . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
When we're old enough.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Probably.
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is about my thread I didn't mean to be a troll, although I kinda sorta saw it coming.
It started as just a fun litlle joke...and then it exploded as it was obviously destined to do.

[ January 24, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Liquor and Fireworks ]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread hasn't been appropriate yet...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with Tresopax. While it is probably a testament to the high quality of this forum, it has really not experienced much trolling at all, which seems to lead to people accusing others (especially new posters) of trolling far more often than really warranted. Besides, in some cases two posters can profess exactly the same opinions, while one is completely sincere and one is trolling.

Was A Modest Proposal a troll?

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Ah, those who draw no lines draw a line around me again. While I didn't start this thread, I am always amazed at my ability to be intolerable to the tolerant.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Was A Modest Proposal a troll?
No, I believe it was a giant. Oh, wait ... [Wink]

pooka: [Kiss] I draw no lines around you. Promise.

Well, you know, I'm not saying, I was just saying.

pooka
Member # 5003

[Smile] Oh, I mean Tres. But it's really about the guy I dated when I was 16 whose dad hated LDS folks. It gets tricky since the dad apparently dated an LDS girl in his youth. I have no idea what happened with that.

P.S. I dunno, what was "A Modest Proposal" supposed to accomplish? If it makes us feel superior to those bigotted English, then those who circulate it in America are Trolls.

[ January 24, 2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

pooka, people can be so very very strange, can't they? I am currently dealing with the fallout of my mother's death and claims on her estate, and I can't believe how some of my relatives are behaving. Even the most sensible of people have their quirks, I guess.

(Like I'm one to talk. My husband still grins when I involuntarily squawk like a bird. It's kind of a hiccupy thing, and I've tried to explain to him that pointing it out just makes me more nervous, and thus more likely to emit uncontrolled squawks, but you know how it goes. [Smile] Anyway, I'm clearly in no position to rant about the oddities of others.)

(Hey, looks like I missed my 4000 mark by a long shot. Daggum, now I'll never get a chance to explain myself. [Big Grin] )

No, really, I appreciated your initial point in the thread. I was just grumpy for other reasons, highly ticked at some deliberate mean-ness, and oh-so-very-irritated at dealing with yet another guy who confused shock-value with high wit. Oh, wait, that's original, we've never read that sort of lame humor before. Whoopee! Now that I've been shown the light, maybe I can make a tape of myself dropping my pants for America's Funniest Home Videos. [Roll Eyes]

It was one of my snarky moments, and I mostly regret it. Not the least because of bugging people I care about.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Bob, no, it was just some yahoo getting his kicks by making fun of others. Not worth the time of day, trust me.

Edit: Found the thread in question, and yes, it had been Janitorized, to the apparent chagrin of the author. All hail Kathryn. [Hail]

I am now content.

[ January 24, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hey! I've been invoked!

Wow, what a heady feeling.

(And yeah, don't feed the trolls.)

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
New exciting colors? Where?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, what the heck?

BTW, CALL ME. [Razz]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hey, I just posted in the Slashie rant thread!

Is it 10:30pm where you are now? Wanna make it 11am tomorrow?

(or should I call you now?)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Re: Jon Boy and Olivet's befuddlement:

This thread was ghost-bumped. I got a nice tingle at being remembered. [Smile] And there's another anonymous trollish ripple in the stream, so that's probably the reason for the bump.

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Invoker here! [Wink]

Seemed like a good idea at the time...

[ March 16, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.