FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gephardts Double Standard.

Author Topic: Gephardts Double Standard.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Gephardt has been one fo the Dems leading the charge against Bush, claiming the Bush is truing to Americanize the world. But in a recent speach, Gephardt himself said that he wants a universal minimum wage. A minimum wage for the entire world! If that is not americanizing the world, what is? And if it's not none of our busniess what they pay thier people, what isn't our busniess, so we can set the payroll for the world, but we can't invade a country to take out a leader who repeatedly gasses his own people, and sponsors terrorism. Can someone explain this sheer stupidity to me?

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait ... was Gephardt recommending invading another country to establish minimum wage, or was he suggesting we peaceably advocate for it?

Because that would be one big difference.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
CT is right, invading a country is a heck of a lot different than simply advocating change.

And it's not none of our business what the rest of the world pays their employees. It's very much our business. The rock-bottom working conditions and wages of workers in, say, China and Mexico are causing more and more American jobs to be sent overseas. If other countries had to pay their workers a living wage and adhere to workplace and environmental safety standards the way US employers do, then it wouldn't make any sense to build foreign plants and hire Indians to do computer support over the phone.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be a flat amount, equivalent to a set number of dollars, or a living wage? After all, $7.25 per hour is probably a lot of money in some third-world countries.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that we should require a minimum wage be established in countries we offer open trading with, i.e. NAFTA partners and countries given Most Favored Nation status.

It's been proven that while we opened our markets to them, they are more than willing to exploit their peoples for an unfair advantage. What's worse is American companies' willingness to also export those people for the same advantage.

Perhaps Mr. Perot's big ears really could hear that loud sucking sound as our jobs were drawn south of the border.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that we should require a minimum wage be established in countries we offer open trading with, i.e. NAFTA partners and countries given Most Favored Nation status.
If I remember correctly, I think this is what Gephardt was advocating. I can't remember where I heard it. Maybe during the Democratic primary debate?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, Gephardt thought we should invade Iraq. He is one of the democrats who think it was a good idea.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.