FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what book should I buy today at lunch?

Author Topic: what book should I buy today at lunch?
tanman1975
Member # 1444

- posted      Profile for tanman1975   Email tanman1975         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read pretty much all the OSC that interests me, and I accidently left my copy of Maps in a Mirror at home.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my reading class doing memoirs right now and I really liked one of them. It is called Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals. She is one of the Little Rock Nine who integrated central High School in 1957. It's her story about how horrrible that schools year was for her and the other eight students but also how her being a warrior helped shape her life. An interesting read. won't knock your socks off but I like learning about these kind of things.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd reccommend my all time favorite bit of weird literature, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie.

It's abstract, it's fluid, it's short stories about indians. Fabulous stuff.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Annie's recommendation!!!

Then go rent "Smoke Signals" and watch it this weekend!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And then go have breakfast at Denny's!

"How did you know my Dad died, Thomas?"

"I heard it in the wind, I felt it in the sunlight.... that, and your mom was in here cryin' ten minutes ago."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having Sherman Alexi recommended to me for quite awhile now. I'll have to pick up some of his stuff.

Annie, if you like short stories about Indians, have you ever read any of William Sanders' stuff? His short fiction is incredible, while I find his novels to just be so-so. Most of his short stuff is collected in Are We Having Fun Yet?.

So, Tanman, what'd you buy?

[ January 14, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
The Song of Ice and Fire! Duh!
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.