FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite grammatical errors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite grammatical errors
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. *sob*

EDIT: And only now do I realise I actually put it backwards.

That's only a little embaressing. Please ignore my incompetance.

[ January 15, 2004, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*

I don't know if this helps, but it stands for the Latin phrase id est, meaning "that is."

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] Thank you. I'll remember that. id est = that is = i.e.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out: Jesse Jackson is so dumb he even misspells words when he speaks :

quote:
Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, said that the pop star "deserves due process," and that "the newsrooms should remain objective and the global community must not hasten to judgement."
Heck, he can't even be quoted without the punctuation getting messed up.

Or Yahoo news could be incompetent. *shrug*

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Ic, maybe I'm just tired, but I'm not seeing the problem.

[Edit: ok, I see an extra comma after his name -- is that the error you're noting?]

[ January 15, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

That was one. Also the spelling of "judgment."

(Which is also misspelled on a recommendation form I was asked to fill out for a local university . . . [Angst] When I pointed it out to a counselor at my school, she argued with me! [Angst] )

[ January 15, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hate to tell you this, Ic, but she was right. I confirmed with Merriam-Webster -- "judgment" is the original spelling; "judgement" an acceptable variant.

English is weird.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Several physical dictionaries I looked it up in, and MS Word, FWIW, don't recognize "judgement."
rivka
Member # 4859

My spell-checker doesn't like it either. But it has been used in the UK for some time, and seems to have become accepted here as well. I still think it looks wrong -- but I also am still getting used to using "hopefully" to mean "it is to be hoped." [Dont Know]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"to" for "too" [Laugh] Mars thread

I thought the Universe was actually pretty liberal. They were all agitating against the U.S. invading Iraq. So if they were ignorant of the liberal bias, is it possible they are part of it?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
MS Word's spell checker is pretty lacking. It misses lots of other perfectly cromulent words. What dictionaries did you check? Merriam-Webster and American Heritage both have it, and M-W is one of the best dictionaries out there.

The Universe, liberal? This is the first I've heard about it. Sure, people have protested the war in Iraq, but everybody's doing that. That hardly makes them liberal.

[ January 16, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The only things worth reading in the Universe were Eric Snyder's column, the student opinions, and Police Beat. I could never tell if Police Beat were written tongue-in-cheek or not. It tried so hard to be serious about what were usually such funny events. It would get to the end of telling about somebody's can of pop being stolen, and then say, "Police are still investigating the incident." Delicious.

The student opinions were worth a few chuckles at well. I'm fairly conservative, but some of these guys took the cake. I remember one guy scolding the women on campus for being too good looking and making all the men have inappropriate thoughts. And he was serious. Everyone on campus with a stick too far up their you-know-where seemed to get their turn in the op-ed pages.

Eric Snyder, of course, was usually the only reason I picked up the paper on whatever day his column ran (I can't remember). He was the closest thing to a celebrity that I ever saw at BYU.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Word keeps trying to make me change "there" to "they're" in one spot, and I definitely mean "over there" as opposed to "they are." [Grumble] Spell check telling me I'm wrong. [Grumble]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

That's not spell check, that's grammar check. And MS Word's grammar check should be turned off. It is literally wrong more often than right.
rivka
Member # 4859

It is indeed. OTOH, if you know the rules of grammar fairly well, it can be a useful way to catch silly errors. Like the verbs I put in the wrong tense all over Hatrack yesterday! Don't know what was wrong with me, but I later caught three (I think) times where my verb doesn't agree with my subject or is in the wrong tense. [Wall Bash]

I am NOT going to go back and fix them. I am NOT that obsessive. No, really, I'm not. (Well, and having an edit time/date hours and hours later than the post bothers me more. [Wink] )

I'm just going to let them stay there and bug the hell out of me. Especially since one already got quoted by someone. [Blushing]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.