FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » very new and very confused

Author Topic: very new and very confused
jana at jade house
Member # 6101

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have heard folks at Nauvoo.com now and again mention Hatrack but never followed up on it until yesteray, when I registered.
I have wandered around and looked in on several threads--I think I have figured out the 1830's
roundsong story, but haven't quite grasped this end of the forums yet.

Would someone like to give me a short symposium on what the Hatrack River site is all about with a short discription of the treads...just to see if I missed something important?

Thanks,
Jana

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020382#000000

This thread contains my explanation. There aren't as many LDS over here. Most of us like to read OSC though as well as a huge variety of other books!

Welcome!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also threads on here are very fluid tend to morph, though some are more "fixtures" than others. Often threads don't stay on the front page for more than a day or two.

A hot issue to walk carefully around is always homosexual marriage. You can search and find half a dozen threads on the subject. Some are more bitter than others, but it is good to have background before you hop into those waters because we've had the debate so many times.

Don't ask about the Ender's Game movie...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jana is asking about the different forums and what they are for. Since I only frequent "Discussion about OSC" and "Books, Films and American Culture", I'm unable to give a comprehensive answer. However, "Discussion about OSC" is (obviously) for discussions of OSC, his works and related matters. "Book films and American Culture" is for everything else, and much faster moving. It's here most of us hang out.

Welcome.

[Smile]

[ January 14, 2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty much random discussion over here. It's all in fun. Sometimes we have serious arguments and people get mad, but mostly we're able to keep civil... Ummm.. There's always fluff if you're not into seriousness. And we keep up on current events and popular culture. It's just fun.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
You want a summary of Hatrack? [Big Grin]

Hatrack = puns, books, group therapy, landmark life stories, panty raids, consolations, politics, tiger kisses, a photo album, sacrilicious threads, and strawberry bubble baths.

If I didn't need to leave in eight minutes and had three things to do before then, I'd make each above word a link. Someone can do that, or I can do it in the morning. [Smile]

---
Welcome, Jana! This is Katharina.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Jana, welcome to Hatrack. I've enjoyed reading many of your comments at Nauvoo.

We're different from Nauvoo in that we don't all come to the table agreeing on much of anything (there's no compact). There's disagreement on various things at Nauvoo, suire, but it's nothing like here. To a degree, we're somewhat a balance between Nauvoo and Ornery (don't know if you ever checked that one out, either).

The best way is to keep reading threads. The topics aren't as categorized as they are at Nauvoo -- it's basically "OSC Stuff" and "The rest of the universe." There are serious threads and what are referred to as "fluff" threads (perhaps like the dried watermelon thread?), and the percentage of each varies like midwestern weather.

You'll anger some people -- expect it. Some people will anger you -- expect it. But there are a wealth of wonderful people to meet and greet, and I hope you'll give us all a chance to prove that. We may disagree pretty vehemently at times, but the way the entire board will often rally around an individual is a far more telling aspect of the community.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
False advertising! I have never seen a Hatrack panty raid, and keep in mind that I'd be the one most likely to start one.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's been a while since we've had a good panty raid.

::starts planning::

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer pantry raids. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
See! Consistently brings the Funny!
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*

Yes, Katie, we can all see that Papa Moose is far funnier than me.

[ January 14, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
If this is what passes for news these days I'll take Fox over the Hatrack News.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You traded in your Funny cape.

[Frown] I'm so sad.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Have we already scared Jana off?

AJ

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Maybe she just doesn't realize that you have to hit Refresh every thirty seconds. She'll probably be back tomorrow to find that her thread is three pages long and has turned into a political thread.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL]

I wasn't the one who said you weren't funny anymore JonBoy!

I guess the real question is what Brinestone has to say about it...

AJ

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Well, that was sort of funny. [Smile]

See? A flash of needing to prove something, and the funny appears. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, Brinestone thinks I'm hilarious. But that's witty banter, which is different from snappy internet forum humor. I think my problem is that I've let my writing skills atrophy—I got too busy to keep writing my raving conspiracy theories and other humor articles, so I'm totally out of the groove.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*raids Frisco's panties
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!! [The Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't scare her off, she's in Holland -- 8 hours ahead of me, IIRC. Is that GMT +1, jana? Anyway, it's very early in the morning there right now. She's probably asleep.

Welcome to the 'rack, Jana!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! The tiger kisses made the hatrack synopsis!

My existence is feeling very validated right now.

*kisses Hobbes*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 6101

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
You bet it is very early in the morning here. Since i posted here I made up a profile for 1830's thread (a new thing for me), listened to daughter's flute practice and bedtime prayer, fed late arriving Papa, made 3 loaves of banana bread, weighed and packed portions for my Atkins diet, ran a load of dishes and hung a load of laundry.
Just for fun i sat down to peek at hatrack to see if a reply had appeared...........
OH MY
the whole world must have replied
now I wonder of I can keep up...
Who are you P. Moose in the cyber ward?
Hey Magson!
jana

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't try to keep up. You can't. Just live with it.

[ January 14, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not LDS, Jana, so I'm afraid I've been relegated to the little lurkers table at Nauvoo. If you wish to experience Mooseness, it'll have to be here, so of course I hope you'll hang around for a while. *smile*

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 6101

Oh, dear
I do so love Moosenesses.

I am in the process of storing my Kris Mooses away this week...I wish I had the room to display them all year!

Jana

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

My advice? Avoid the last post thread. It is EEEVIL! [Wink]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It is NOT. You merely cannot appreciate its sublimeness, clearly. *sniffs disdainfully*

*steals last post*

Oh, and just so you know, jana, the Hatrack 1830 area is (I believe) completely separate from this forum, and gets far less traffic.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I will do as everyone else, and give you a resounding welcome Jana! [Group Hug]

Oh, and just so you know, I'm Chris. Not to be confused with Katharina. I guess she admires me so much she just had to borrow my name. [Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll find it genuinely amazing, Jana, how many of us are NOT Mormons. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
jana,

Welcome. And could you explain the thing you said about all the children you've raised or helped to raise (I think the count was over 75) in the thread about Mooselet?

As for "what is Hatrack" a better question might be "what ISN'T Hatrack." As near as I can make out, the universe is composed of two main ingredients:

1) The essence of Bob, and
2) The conduit of Hatrack

These two substances co-exist in a balanced ebb and flow such that what is Bob is also Hatrack and what is Hatrack is also Bob.

Once you embrace the essential Bobness within you, you will understand everything.

I look forward to this on your behalf and, in the meantime, hope you'll continue to grace us with your presence.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is bishop of our cyberward? Our first bishop was undoubtedly Samuel Bush but then he was released and Skyweir was called. I am pretty sure Skyweir has been released but I don't know who, if anyone, was called to replace him. I think perhaps we are currently bishopless. I wish someone would be called soon. I need to know what my calling is now, and just generally need guidance, as usual. [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Jana !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

We have a cyberward? Who calls the bishop? Is there a cyber stake president?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack jana--glad to have you here! How did you end up in Holland? How long have you been there?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I don't know about Jana, but some people actually live in Holland, you know. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Sure, but I thought I remembered reading that she had originally been a US citizen. Maybe I was thinking of someone else?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

No idea Noemon, I was just joking. It's my way to be the crazy Frenchie here [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, I know Anna, but if she *had* been from there originally, my question would have been a bit stupid. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Noemon, I saw her say that too. It was in Annie's Raisin thread. [Smile]
jana at jade house
Member # 6101

Very short bio-bits to answer questions:

My life is divided into five years segments more or less.

In one 5 year segment I owned and operated a child care facility catering to single parent families on a round-the-clock basis. Indeed I saw more of those children than some of their very hard working parents did. Even to the point that I nursed them through the chicken pox and Mom or Dad just came to visit instead of dragging a sick child around. Now those children are having babies...amazing!! I cannot remember the final tally when I shut down ChilderSkill Home but it was over 60 and under 75.

The next five year segment included the entry of my (now) dear spouse into my life. Since my second child was eighteen and very independent and well looked after in Wisconsin, it was a not a hard choice to follow my heart here to the Netherlands. Hubby is an internationally known researcher in rare earth ions, photon dots, and luminescent solid state chemistry. I am the slightly dazed bouquet holder next to him at university shindigs.

Any other questions I can answer?

I am enjoying meeting you all.

and yes, I was rather boggled to see the thread on coffee addiction after spending the better part of two year on-line with 99% active LDS. I sometimes forget there are other kinds of beings out there...

LOL I spend too much time alone!
Jana

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reliable thread isthe Last Post, its always there, has been for 161 pages.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.