FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Raisins

Author Topic: Raisins
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've decided to give up white sugar in an effort to be more healthy and to stop wreaking havoc on my bloodsugar in attempts to stay awake during class.

So my new dessert and occasional treat consists of Sun Maid raisins - not sweetened, just full of natural little sugars encased in lovely dietary fiber.

I love these little guys! They're so good for me and so sweetly delicious - all of this from mother nature. They're not even "flavor-blasted" or "new fun colors."

Let us all pause for a moment to honor the raisin, man's other best friend.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*stands in honour of raisins, takes off hat, even though is not wearing one*

I love raisins! [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I like grapes better.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
They are just humilated grapes.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Well, you know, Da Goat; raisin is French for grape.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Da Goat.

Raisins are evil grapes.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well, raisin is American English for a Sr. Citizen grape, or 2nd Class grape, or The Lesser Grape, or...
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The Immortal grape! These things will survive the nuclear holocaust, you realize.
Icarus
Member # 3162

And nobody will want to eat them then either.

Except perhaps you. You actually fell for the line about grapes being food. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 6101

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have glucose intolerance or any overt reaction to sugar, you had better lay off the grapes and raisins, go lo-carb, drink lots of water, cut caffeine and eat more leafy green veggies.

I haven't had fruit since October and I feel great!

Jana

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally like raisins, but, strangely enough, I'm OK with raisin bran. It's weird, you take three things that I don't like when consumed by themselves--bran flakes, raisins, and milk--put them together and all of a sudden it becomes edible. That's some big juju if you ask me.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Raisin bran gestalt. Interesting concept, Mike...

And I prefer a high-fiber, no starch diet to a carb-free diet, Jana. I think carbohydrates are way too important to cut out, but all the starches you eat should be from whole grains.

jana at jade house
Member # 6101

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not say carb-free said lo-carb, lots of fibre, lo starch.

I eat, for instance, flaxseed, but have given up even the highly fibrous whole grain bread here (in Holland) maybe it is the yeast but I am feeling so healthy I may never eat bread again.

The key is to abstain from white foods.
Jana

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooh - I think you are my new friend Jana. I'm a cheerleader for fiber. And I just bought my first flaxseed yesterday.

And welcome to Hatrack! I have a Dutch name and a Dutch complexion and I really like Breugel, but I'm still a stupid American.

jana at jade house
Member # 6101

Actually, I am a USAmerican born citizen, living in the Kingdom of the netherlands expatria with Dutch hubby and two bi-cultural offspring.

There is nothing dumb about being American that a good course in international ethics, economics, politics and culture cannot cure.

Even CNN is *very* different here.

So is the bread (to get back on topic!!)
J

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
raisins
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Craisin lover.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR, that's awesome!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you know, Da Goat; raisin is French for grape.
Freedom grapes?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
What is small, wrinkled, and dangerous?

A raisin with a machine gun!

OK, so that wasn't funny. Don't blame me, I just remember it from some lame joke book [Dont Know]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
humilated grapes
Why have I heard this before?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Pat, calling prunes by some trendy other name won't make you less old.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Craisins are dried cranberries, Ic. They're yummy -- but they're loaded with added sugar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, you just tell yourself that.
rivka
Member # 4859

*showers Ic with SMALL, RED dried fruit* [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

If you like dried cranberries, try dried cherries. Mmmm... boy! Especially if they're from the UP. Gotta love 'em.
rivka
Member # 4859

I love dried cherries, but the brands the local Trader Joe's carries (which are the only kosher ones I've seen) also have added sugar. What's "the UP"?
Annie
Member # 295

The upper peninsula of Michigan. Best darn cherries I've ever had.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've always wondered if the reason why the English word for "shriveled grape" is the same as the French word for "grape" is because grapes wouldn't grow in the cool English climate, and were imported, in dried form, from France. Of course, for all I know England is renowned for its bountiful vinyards, and I've just missed it somehow.

Rivka, ever try Trader Joe's dried mangos? They have two varieties, one of which is encrusted with sugar, and the other of which is unsweetened, unsulphered, and delicious.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Noemon, I think that's probably a very plausible idea. Actually, we have a lot of synonym french/anglo saxon pairs in english that reflect societal differences.

For example, during the Norman period, the upper class in England all spoke French, while the peasants spoke Old English. The words the French had for animals - mouton, porc, boeuf - became the English words for the meat of those animals because to a nobleman, the only time he would have occasion to talk about a sheep, a mouton, would be when it was on his plate and it became mutton. Fascinating, no?

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're talking dried fruit, let us take a moment to bask in the golden glory that is dried turkish figs. *drools* [Razz]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Noemon, I'm not sure if I've had TJ's, but I've certainly had un-sugared dried mango. It's good, but I prefer papaya.

Mike, agreed! Figs are YUMMY! Fresh, dried . . . darn, now I'm hungry.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I have yet to find dried papaya that isn't crusted with sugar. Have I just missed it at Trader Joes?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Annie--yeah, isn't that fascinating? I love the twists and turns languages take as they evolve.
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't think so, Noemon. I'm pretty sure I've mostly gotten dried papaya from a local label called It's Delish. It's carried by the supermarkets and kosher stores in SoCal. I'll try to remember the next time I see Maish or Chana (who own the label) who their source is, but it's likely to be a sells-by-the-barrel type of supplier. [Wink]
Noemon
Member # 1115

There's a kosher grocery in my area I've been meaning to check out anyway; I'll see if they carry them.
rivka
Member # 4859

They might. I know It's Delish has been expanding their sales area as well as which stores they sell too. The local Target started carrying their stuff a couple years back. [Smile] They sell an amazing range of stuff -- candy, dried fruit, spices, frozen pies, and lots more. And their quality is very good, and their prices quite reasonable.

They also sell the cheapest shmura matzah for Passover that you can get in L.A., but I suspect you're not too interested in that. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Well, I don't have any idea what it is, but I'd probably be willing to try it!
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who prefers shmura matzah to the square stuff?

Oh, wait, that wasn't even remotely on topic. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love craisins... And dried apricots. I don't really like apricots much, but dried apricots are delicious.

And Annie, thanks for the info about French/English language differences! That makes a lot of sense! [Big Grin] You learn something new every day on this board!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The French/English thing isn't limited to food, though. There are other pairs like royal/kingly, celestial/heavenly, and so on.

Just doing my part to further the great cause of thread derailment.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Shmura matza is . . .

Wait, I have an idea.

Follow me here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.