FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shopping at Amazon, BN, etc. through Hatrack

Author Topic: Shopping at Amazon, BN, etc. through Hatrack
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash brought up the topic on the other side: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002204#000011

If you are going to purchase anything from amazon.com or barnes and noble online, link from hatrack and a portion goes to support the site. It doesn't matter what you purchase, but if you shop there, you could also support your favorite website forum by going through hatrack to get there.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I would have thought of this a couple weeks ago, when I spent a couple hundered dollars at those places. Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely going to use the gateway for all my shopping from now on...
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I will use this link as well, but im curious if the cards could disclose how much of a kick back they get from this! [Wink]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* So more people can see this.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
ugh! I just bought my books at amazon last night!!!! :: sobs :: Sorry Orson! I promise next time!!!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
If I linked an amazon book in a thread, would that count, or do you have to go through the Hatrack River Store?

Just so I can support.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20040124/tc_nm/campaign_amazon_dc

quote:
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Shoppers at online retailer Amazon.com Inc. can now spend money on something new -- U.S. presidential candidates.

A new feature that debuted Friday collects campaign contributions of up to $200 for U.S. presidential candidates.

The Seattle, Washington-based retailer, which claims 37 million active accounts, said on its Web site that it is "trying to take the friction out of grassroots contributions to presidential candidates."

For that reason, Amazon said it is not endorsing any candidates and is charging each campaign its usual processing fees for the payments, which it will donate to a non-profit, non-partisan civil group.

So, if folks donate to candidates after linking from Hatrack, will Hatrack get some of the $?

This'll help out the political threads! Folks can get revved up in the political threads, go donate $ to candidates, and then some of the $ will go back to Hatrack, enabling us to start yet more political threads...

[Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't realize this was true. I buy stuff from b+n online all the time. I bought 2 books last night. I will try to remember to link from here from now on. [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you linked to it in a certain way.

Here's how Amazon.com URLs work. A typical URL:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312971346/102-0489121-7671356

You're interested in the part after ASIN. The number after ASIN is the products ASIN or ISBN number. Books, movies, and music use these numbers. The next number is a session ID, which you can delete.

To link a book so it goes through Hatrack, erase the session ID and add "hatrackriver" to the end, like so:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312971346/hatrackriver

Voila! Hatrack will now get a kickback from the purchase!

The kickback varies depending on what compensation structure you're on and what item the person is purchasing. It's usually between 2.5% and 6%, but in some cases you can earn more.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
How does the website actually get the money?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
They can get Direct Deposit once their referrals reach $10.00, or get a check cut when their referrals reach $100.00.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.