FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Want My Money!

Author Topic: I Want My Money!
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, Why I Almost Wish I Hadn't Gone to WenchCon...

In order to confirm my room, I used my debit card; I don't have a credit card (too much danger of overspending) and I had gotten used to using my bank card in its place. For most things, it works fine.

But the hotel held over $400, and is _still_ holding it. Tomorrow I mean to call and ask how long they plan to keep their grubby hands on my money, because I really need it back. I was overdrawn until my paycheck came on Thursday, and that only brought me up to about $25.

Surely Wingate Inn has had enough time to confirm that I didn't trash the room! [Grumble]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you how often I see this at the bank. Hotels need some kind of warning posted in the lobby. Mac, have you considered a secured credit card? You put the money up first, preferably in a two year CD, then borrow against it. The beauty of the CD method is you earn interest to help offset the interest you rack up.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I hadn't thought of it, AR. Tell me, how much money does something like that take? Especially if the hotel delays much longer, it will take some time for me to get back on stable footing (due to overdraw fees, mostly).
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask me, I think you might have a possibly legal case against them. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, it's standard procedure. There's probably something about it in your agreement somewhere.

Hotels do this all the time. It is very frustrating.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I want your money too Macc. [Evil]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER use your debit card for anything but supermarket type expenditures.

Look at it this way, if some unscrupulous person (or commerce web site) decided to charge your card, you'd lose that money until you could get straightened out. That's real money, rent money, mortgage money, not the "funny" money on credit cards. If a credit card is charged improperly, you only need to pay the minimum balance while it gets sorted out.

It DOES suck that hotels do that though. I had that problem when I was interviewing for jobs out of college. It freaked me out.

Just get a credit card with a $500 buck limit. They give them to people with no previous credit. Or the secured card option.

I worry though that if you can't handle a credit card, how will you be able to handle a mortgage, or student loan. better to mess up with a couple grand than a $100,000 mortgage... Of course, without previous credit, it will be harder for you to get the mortgage.

Trust me, a little credit goes a long way. You ARE responsible enough.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Well, Bokonon...I've never had any trouble handling student loans. At least, not any conventional problems--when you're broke, and I mean totally flat busted, there's not a great deal you can do. (This particular loan went into default before I wised up; later my newfound wisdom did me no good.)

Good news, though--just before calling the hotel to complain I checked my account online. The money is safely back in my pocketses. Whew!

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Pure corruption, Maccabeus. Legal, but pure corruption.
The MBA's have decided that 'receivables collected as early as possible and debts repaid as late as legally delayable' is a "best business practice". Using other people's money: costs them nothing; allows them to collect bank interest, or avoid paying interest to the bank; and adds to the assets side of their bookkeeping.

And yeah, a single customer's money doesn't add much, but there are many many customers.

Since you've already gotten your money back, it looks like Wingate is much more honest than many. I'd certainly feel comfortable booking a room with them.

Considering the amount of time that banks are allowed to complete a transaction, betcha it was your bank that delayed the transfer of a nearly-immediate Wingate refund sent to your bank's account over to your own account. Then hit you with an overdraw charge, even though your bank was sitting on your money.
Unfortunately, it's legal.

[ January 24, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
did they actually have the money, or did they just have a hold on the money? Having them money is an odd practice, usually a company just puts a hold on the money.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They had my money as well, but reversed it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

It was a hold on the money--it wasn't actually in their possession. I believe I said that at the start, but shortened it for convenience' sake after a bit.
Dr. Seuss
Member # 2487

- posted      Profile for Dr. Seuss   Email Dr. Seuss         Edit/Delete Post 
Macc, I would go talk to the bank, it is normal for them to be understanding and reverse the overdraw fee. Worse they can do is say no, but I think they will.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Macca, I just watched the movie "Paper Moon," and then I saw this thread title...

For any of you who've seen that, it was a pretty funny coincidence. [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.