FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Steaming

Author Topic: Steaming
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Does anyone have any idea how to steam stuff without a special steamer?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Put clothes on hanger.
Take a hot shower.

Seriously.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about food or clothes?
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, clothes. I guess you're talking about food.

Never mind. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, food. I'm going to make Tibetan dumplings tonight when I get back from this infernal meeting.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a pasta pot with the nested colanders. Mine is quite a nice one but you can get them for pretty cheap if you look. I tend to think the colander should be proven temperature resistant, and flat bottomed. And fit into the pan. I don't know what other resources you have.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a good Wok?

Many good woks have a half circle wire shelf that can go on the top. If so, put that on the wok. Put the dumplings on the shelf. Put water in the bottom of the wok---steamer.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Large frying pan with lid + metal rack from toaster oven = steamer.

You can also get folding steamer baskets in various sizes to fit in your saucepans for about $5 at Target.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
I still like the idea of showering with food.

I tried that once with a Subway sandwich. It didn't work out very well.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest the microwave, but I'm pretty sure that's only effective for steaming veggies and fish. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a metal colander that we put in a pot, then a lid on the colander. Works so well we haven't bothered to go buy a specific steamer.

I sure could go for some steamed broccoli, now that I think about it.... mmmm.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

hmmm. no colander... but i'm sure there is some colander substitute i can use...
curse spartan cooking...

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a big strainer, one that's big enough to fit the food to be steamed in it, then you can hang it on a pot of boiling water and put a lid on top, that will also work. Otherwise you need a colander. Most big grocery stores have stuff like that, if you want to pick one up conveniently and cheaply.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... dumplings... can I have some?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing you can do in a pinch is lay out a bunch of chopsticks across the top of a sauce pan, put the stuff you want to steam on top of the chopsticks, and then put a metal or ceramic bowl over the chopsticks. Definitely not the easiest way of doing it, but it'll work.

[ January 27, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.