FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommend a web browser

Author Topic: Recommend a web browser
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My home system somehow "ate" MS Internet Explorer 5.

I've decided since I have to install something from scratch, I might as well at least consider using a different browser. Can people tell me what they like and don't like about:

NetScape
Mozilla
Opera

Others?

I'm running Windows 98, by the way, if that makes a difference.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The best one right now is Mozilla Firebird.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

Your system still has internet explorer, probably, by the way. You can open it by going to Start -> Run . . . , then typing "iexplore" and clicking ok. It should open up.

Netscape is just an old version of Mozilla with features removed. Opera is nice, but I'm a big fan of both Free and free; plus, Moz has access to a whole range of technology Opera is missing, XUL. Which essentially makes it very, very easy to extend Mozilla (and its derivatives, such as Firebird); there are already many very cool applications using XUL.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Also, I know Mozilla is pretty stable on '98, anyone know how Opera is?

BTW, Bob, its time for a new computer with a new operating system. Ditch 98 [Big Grin] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
New operating system???!!!! [Eek!]

I just got this one working!

Actually, I miss TRS-DOS.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, do yourself a favor and get off Windows 98. [Smile] But, given your system speed, you might want to look at Firebird or Opera.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Seuss
Member # 2487

- posted      Profile for Dr. Seuss   Email Dr. Seuss         Edit/Delete Post 
I love both Firebird and Opera, Great products.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Firebird is pretty nice. I still prefer Safari, but you might have trouble getting that to run under Win98.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I managed via a backdoor from Norton AntiVirus Subscription services to use a one-instance only of IE 5.0 to get to the Mozilla site. I downloaded firebird and am now happily back online!!!

Thanks everyone!

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with '98? [Confused]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Unstable, bug ridden, doesn't support a lot of the latest software well, supports even less of the latest hardware well, doesn't interact well with digital media devices (this is a subcategory of hardware, really), isn't as easily customized, is a lot harder to configure properly for different networks and such.

That sort of thing.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

There are problems with upgrading operating systems, though:

1) Having to hunt for drivers that you aren't sure will work until after you've installed the new system.

2) The surprise ending when you discover that even though your system meets the minimum specs for that O/S, there's a giant drop in performance because all you do is meet the minimum specs.

3) It is often cheaper to replace the machine entirely than to buy everything needed to upgrade to a new O/S.

Let's face it, computers are disposable. They come with a setup and when that is obsolete, so is the computer, for the most part.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I did say you should get a new computer [Smile] .

You can get one that runs windows xp quite nicely for under $500.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Bob, I just upgraded my old machine, and have a computer left over. I'll sell you the old one for $300+shipping.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Tom, that's very generous. But really, to use the machine on which you typed most of your nearly 14,000 Hatrack posts is an honor I simply do not deserve. I'd be afraid to touch it, you know. It has earned icon status, if you really think about it. [Big Grin]

Actually, I've been thinking about a new system for awhile now, so I'll just go do that. I'd like to find out what all this stuff people are raving over is all about. I mean, color monitors?!!! Wow, what'll they think of next, color TV???

[Razz]

I just realized Windows 98 is at least 6 years old. That computer doesn't owe me anything, really.

I added some memory and a bigger hard drive, but I can probably just turn that into a slave drive on my NEW system, no?

I think I'd better back up my stuff tonight, though. The machine is flakey. And not in a good pie-crust kind of way either.

When I'm done with this one, maybe I'll turn it into a Linux machine. I tried that with an older machine once, but there was definitely a lack of drivers for my old junk. Maybe I can do something with the newer junk.?

Anyway, Mozilla Firebird seems to work okay. I think IE was somewhat "faster" if that makes sense.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I second mozilla. Sooooo pleasant to use, you forget that it's related to Slash. . .

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

IE was faster to load, yes, but because it cheats. IE is already loaded into memory, so when you click on it there's really no loading to be done.

You can do similar things for Moz, but its a bit of a hack.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, most Windows upgrades are fairly painless on the hardware front these days. You may not get the most recent drivers, but you'll get drivers that work.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, if you're looking for a new computer, this is a deal you may want to look into, in short, it's a p4 2.4 w/ 256mb ram and a 15" flat screen starting at $349.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Being that you already have it, I don't really need to recommend it, but mozilla firebird is a great browser, although on my old, slow, "computer", it took awhile to start up, on my new one it loads just as fast as IE...before I loaded it with extensions.
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you download a theme, like Pinball
Or something else here

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
*can't resist*

Bob, just for the record....I just installed a new operating system on my PowerBook, and it couldn't have gone more slowly. I didn't have to do a *thing* except change CDs in and out and push the restart button when it told me to.

Upgrading Windows 95 to Windows 98 on an older laptop was *nightmarish,* however, and don't even get me started about the time we tried to upgrade my friend's computer from Windows ME to Windows XP.

Granted, XP is a big improvement in general....but if you're getting a new computer...*coughbuyamaccough*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.