FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Only in Dreams....

Author Topic: Only in Dreams....
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
...does one discover that Cracker Barrel is in fact an extension of hell, and discover it because the table lamps have become great gouts of flame.

...(and in movies) does the devil look like Al Pacino.

...does one respond to this discovery by quoting the latest heavy-metal anthem (by Willy Wonka), "Is the grisly reaper mowing? Are the fires of hell a'glowing?" and laughing hysterically along with Satan.

This was a part of my dream during my three-hour nap between work and school this morning. Anyone else have bizarre dreams they'd like to share?

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a funny one yesterday, but can't remember it. I've had a couple of enviable dreams about LOTR movie characters.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
...do you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you.

Why am I the only one who has that dream?

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa,

Then I'm both happy and sad for you and your dream.

I, unfortunately, have architectural dreams, where I spend most of my dream-state exploring buildings. I've been in huge underground malls, large theatre auditoriums turned into indoor chicken farms (luckily, I have no sense of smell in my dreams), 10,000 square foot gabled attics, and--most recently--on board a revolving space station.

And the dangerous part: I'm not making any of this up!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*refrains from commenting on the "little" pickles in Pop's post*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
ssywak, I find your post familiar. It seems that the majority of my most vivid dreams, and particularly those that get repeated later, are centered around a place -- usually a large building. This can be an immense mall, an auditorium, a tower, a stadium, a convention center, a mansion. Each is very evocative and integral to the dream. Often a large portion of the dream is spent just walking around the building, sometimes trying to find something or someone, sometimes talking with a companion, sometimes carrying out a task. But it's always, always about the place, the setting.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ssy, I've had dreams like that too. However, I have had so many that they usually don't stand out anymore. There has to be something else odd about them, such as the mysterious stairwell to the nonexistent school basement or the seamless transition from driving (outdoors) to skateboarding (indoors).

Yesterday morning I dreamed of a snow-covered view through my window; now it has finally snowed. Not as much as in my dream, though.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...do you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you.

Why am I the only one who has that dream?

Pop...You've been listening to "Spill the Wine" again, haven't you?
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he's been drinking the spilled wine again.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of "Spill the Wine" and I haven't been drinking spilled (or any other kind of) wine. "Laslo" Sywak got the reference, though.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I, unfortunately, have architectural dreams, where I spend most of my dream-state exploring buildings.
I totally have those dreams! About three a year for the last ten years or so. [Eek!]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My dreams are usually random conglomerations of things i've been thinking about lately. My wenchcon dreams have yet to taper off, I had them for a month after wenchcon last year.

In my latest dream I was climbing around a morrowind-like island, and Mal and Wash from firefly were following my progress in a boat. then we needed to get the boat on land, but it was too steep, so they were trying to lever it up the cliff with the oars.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My first bad dream...Count Chocula was in my room, coming up from under my bed and he was going to get me! I'm not sure what he was going to do, maybe suck my chocolate. (No weird references here, people...I was only three or four.)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdest dream:

In college, I had a text dream. There were no graphics--it was all ASCII (no extended characters, though--I wonder what that means...?)

And if that isn't weird enough, at the bottom of my dreams, I was typing them out.

It was right around finals week, when all my papers were due. And it was before there were "personal" computers--I was using a Smith-Corona.

--Steve "Laslo" Sywak

(Forty points higher than me, and he thinks a big guy like that can fit into his pajamas?!)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never remember my own dreams but one of my friends recently had Colin Firth break into her house and steal her TV.

(in the dream, of course)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I, unfortunately, have architectural dreams, where I spend most of my dream-state exploring buildings."

Mine are worse. The buildings are filled floor to ceiling -- with connected plumbing, connected conduits, randomized piles of lumber, or random furniture -- with just enough room to climb through and up the obstacles to the next floor, which has the same type of mess.
And I'm supposed to make sense of and organize it.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
... Does one have dreams about being Arwen and her fiancee being Aragorn (set, oddly enough, in Lorien).

... Does one have deja vu dreams at least once a week. (I even once had a dream where I had deja vu IN the dream)

... Does one have dreams about Super Mario-ish playgrounds in the sky.

... Does one have dreams about being anime characters/partying with anime characters.

... Does one become a warrior/archer/mage (fire, if anyone's wondering).

... Does one dream about continually walking past a church when listening to LotR music.

I really need to stop falling asleep reading and watching tv...

... Can one be checking out of irate customsers in a line that NEVER ENDS.

... Can one be on a tropical island and still hear the 'beep... beep...' of the inventory scanning machines.

[ January 27, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several nights' worth of dreams where I basically "worked" all night. Selling digital cameras all day and night just isn't my cup of tea. However, I admit that it's better than tagging merchandise and arranging shelves all day and night.

A couple of nights ago, my dream switched from something rather interesting (I forget) to *viola* being at work again...and there comes a stupid person who couldn't possibly know what a digital camera is, let alone how to work it. I'm the one who gets to explain it to them! Yippee!

I distinctly remember feeling this way, then subconsciously, or rather, in the gray haze of dreamland, I remember thinking, "No way, forget it, I'm not helping YOU." (More graphic was my response, but this is a family forum, right? [Wink] )

I abruptly woke up.

If only it was that easy.

Appendix to the stupid customer comment: Yesterday, a lady wandered in from the cold, snowy weather and browsed the cameras for a few seconds. I greeted her, and she said, "I'm looking for a digital camera."

"Ok." I said.

"But I want one that doesn't use film." [Roll Eyes] I wish that were a dream. No, I don't. Because that got a lot of laughs from my co-workers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Only In Dreams
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can one be on a tropical island and still hear the 'beep... beep...' of the inventory scanning machines.
I worked for an inventory company for almost two years. I used to count (grocery aisles, clothing, jewelry) in my sleep.

A recurring theme in my dreams is not being able to get somewhere important on time for really stupid reasons. Like, I'm just trying to get to my upper-floor apartment, and these nosy cops won't let me in the building even though I try to explain that I'm really a secret agent, and it's imperative that I get to my place because I need to get changed before I do this, that and the other. Right...

Anyway, I also repeatedly have trouble finding a not-totally-disgusting bathroom. I keep telling myself that that ties in with the not being able to get someplace important on time for stupid reasons. It does, doesn't it?

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.