FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where are the nominations for Big Fish?

Author Topic: Where are the nominations for Big Fish?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought perhaps that Big Fish missed the cutoff for this year's Oscars, but then I saw that it's nominated for best score. What about everything else? What about best picture? What about best adapted screenplay? What about best director?!?

This was the best film of the year. Where are the nominations?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing. Well, actually, I thought ROTK was the best movie of the year, but Big Fish came in at a close second.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the other noms?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think ROTK should win based on the fact that it was the only movie good enough for my mom to lend me the money to see it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wondered about that too Annie, when I saw that it got just *one* nomination. I also thought it didn't make the cutoff and that with a January release it wouldn't make it to next year's Oscars. Oh well.

I know what a great film it is, but I'm dying to see a review by OSC on it. That's better than the Oscars. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.rhinotimes.com/greensboro/osc1.html

He liked it, but like candy. I thought it was better than that.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Big Fish! It really is sad how some films are looked over for the Oscars. This was really the only major disappointment I had with the nominations this year.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Da_Goat, I had very much been hoping to read what he thought. I'm sorry that he didn't gush as much as I did...though perhaps part of it was that it touched me in a deeper spot than did Secondhand Lions. Which is not to say I didn't like the first film -- I really enjoyed it. I just thought that Big Fish was much better, and that it did manage to say some profound things about father/child relationships and the importance of myth.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Big Fish came out late enough to get it on the next awards rotation. When DID it come out?
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
It was in limited release in late November. In time for Oscar consideration. I think it was a bad idea, since the award season is shorter this year. No time to build buzz.

I really want to see it, but Ron, like some other men, apparently (cough) has a real problem with Ewan McGregor. I think they must be jealous of his huge talent. [Razz] In Ron's case, though, I'm not sure what his problem is. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Cold Mountain? In my opinion that was the best movie I saw all year. Best Picture? Best Actress? Best Actor? Where are the nominations? Seabiscuit was nominated, for crying out loud. What's wrong with the academy?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My nomination for "Big Fish" is the northern pike. Have you ever seen one of those things? They're freakin' huge!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Big Fish was okay, but it was far from a masterpiece. Some of the visuals will stick with me, but very little of the rest of the film.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.