FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christopher Paolini

Author Topic: Christopher Paolini
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
He wrote Eragon , a book that is strikingly similar to LotR (yet enjoyable, nonetheless)...has anyone read it???
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Seen it, haven't read it. The 10-year-old who was reading it at the time liked it very much. He also liked Ender's Game, so clearly he has good taste. I made the kid promise me that he wouldn't make the same mistake I did at that age, and that instead he would continue reading. He said he would, and his mom gave me this "thanks for saying that to my son" look, so I felt good that day.

So, would it be enjoyable for someone such as me, who couldn't get through any LotR books despite multiple tries?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Possibly, if you like the Harry Potter series. The storyline seems to draw from fantasy and science fiction books alike...but, it is still enjoyable. Other people I know who have read it don't seem to see the connections I suggested. I would give it two or three tries [Wink]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met Christopher Paolini. He lives about a half hour from here. He's a totally geeky homeschool kid - it's great.

I have and autographed copy of Eragon, but haven't had time to read it yet.

He's a really cool guy though. Definite Hatrack material.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Wow, that's cool. I always think it's fun to meet authors of books you've read, even when they're not your favorite.
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
I am right in the middle of it and enjoying it immensely. It isn't deep, it doesn't make me think and feel the way OSC does, but it is a page turner... a good yarn. He has some beautiful descriptions-- I roll them over my tongue-- I love writing that feels good in my mouth.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arya
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Arya   Email Arya         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Eragon (as you can tell by my name [Wink] ), and I can't wait for Eldest! I want an autographed copy! I live so far from Montana... it's so not fair... *pouts*
I'm new by the way, so hi! [Wave]

[ January 29, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Arya ]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this book awhile ago in the New York Times arts section, and saw it in the bookstore, but haven't read it yet.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arya
Member # 6160

Read it! I think you would like it... I know your daughter would.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it yet, but I think I will go find it now. Thanks for all the nice reading advice, Hatrack. [Wink]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Paolini is an enthusiastic but talentless hack. The one good thing about his book is that it could conceivably get kids reading and writing. The downside to this is that they'll be reading and probably writing crap.

I mean, seriously, is this is supposed to be good writing?

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's rude not to consider how old he was when he wrote the book.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares if it's "good" writing? What matters is, is it a good book?

[ January 30, 2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Ryuko, a bad book does not magically become good by virtue of its author being young.

Tres, I care if it's good writing. If it isn't good writing, it isn't a good book by my standards.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How old was he? [Confused]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*impressed*
I tried to write so many stories at that age and failed.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Tres, I care if it's good writing. If it isn't good writing, it isn't a good book by my standards.
You're gonna miss out on a lot of good stories, I think.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
So, in your opinion, plot is more important than storytelling capability?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that great.

If I submitted it at age 32, I doubt it would have been published. So, we have to face the fact it probably was published on the basis of the novelty of its young author.

Does that make it a good book? Not in my opinion.

I can deal with some bad storytelling if the story itself is engaging enough but Eragon doesn't fit that bill. For example, I didn't recognize what Arya's screen name had to do with the book, until I thought about it some more and realized it was the dragon's name.

The story was utterly forgettable. Nothing stayed with me, it was as dull as 1000 other fantasy knockoffs.

The kid is more talented than I was at 15, certainly. And when he's older he may be much better still. He's definitely been a bigger success in writing than I ever will be if you use money and fame as your indicators.

But none of those things make the book good, I'm afraid to say.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying that the fact that the author was 15 when he wrote the book automatically makes it good, but I think that calling him is a "talentless hack" is a bit extreme. I'm sure there are published authors out there who couldn't have written as well as him at that age. Unfortunately, being published at his age might make him wary of changing his style of writing so that it's more accessible and well... good. (I haven't read the book but that sample was rather painful...) In any case, I'd not blame the author for the quality of his book, I'd blame whoever decided to publish it.

Then again, maybe I'm willing to give the kid some bonus points because he's living my dream at his age.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Tres:
quote:
You're gonna miss out on a lot of good stories, I think.
I do not care. There is an infinite number of what you would call good stories. I don't have the time to waste on those which are written execrably.

Ryuko:
quote:
I'm not saying that the fact that the author was 15 when he wrote the book automatically makes it good, but I think that calling him is a "talentless hack" is a bit extreme.
His youth only gives him an excuse for being a talentless hack. It does not mean that he isn't one.

By the way. if I recall correctly, he started it at 15. He was a bit older by the time he finished it.

(Well, that's an obvious statement. But you get my meaning. [Razz] )

Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
So, in your opinion, plot is more important than storytelling capability?
Yes, exactly!

quote:
I do not care. There is an infinite number of what you would call good stories. I don't have the time to waste on those which are written execrably.
Well, not infinite, but perhaps more than you could read. But just because someone doesn't have the storytelling style that would land them towards the top of your reading list does not mean they are talentless.

Have you read Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings? I think the writing in those two series is not particularly good and/or somewhat annoying. But I don't think that merits calling the authors hacks.

[ January 31, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Arya
Member # 6160

quote:
I didn't recognize what Arya's screen name had to do with the book, until I thought about it some more and realized it was the dragon's name.
Arya is the elf. Saphira is the dragon.

[ January 31, 2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Arya ]

ae
Member # 3291

Tres:
quote:
Well, not infinite, but perhaps more than you could read.
Yep.

quote:
But just because someone doesn't have the storytelling style that would land them towards the top of your reading list does not mean they are talentless.
That depends on what you mean by talentless. If you're going to be picky about it, no one is talentless—George W Bush has a talent for alienating the international community, Michael Jackson has a talent for molesting small children, and so on. What I mean when I say someone (in this case, Christopher Paolini) is talentless is that they have no talents I value within the context of the discussion (in this case, literature).

quote:
Have you read Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings? I think the writing in those two series is not particularly good and/or somewhat annoying. But I don't think that merits calling the authors hacks.
Bad writing != hackdom. Bad, formulaic writing that slavishly apes writers of the past in order to sell books = hackdom. LotR and the Harry Potter series are boringly written, but there's a certain base level of originality there that saves them from hackdom. Christopher Paolini, on the other hand, is simply cribbing shamelessly and clumsily from Tolkien and his army of pale shades.

IMHO, as always.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tres: you HAVE read Eye of Argon, right?

You'd dig it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
My 11 year old daughter who is obsessed by dragons said it was a good story but badly written. She begged me to read it.

I started. I tried. It isn't just the writing. It isn't a very original premise. I was bored with it and found quite a few things unbelievable within the first few pages.

The thing that makes me sad is that for his age, I think this is normal. I think he IS talented, but having this work be published lowers the bar for him. I don't think he'll ever be as good of a writer as he could have been if this book had been rejected as is and he'd gotten a good, indepth critique from somewhere.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the book. I remember hearing him interviewed on NPR and thinking he sounded like such a teenager (no surprise since he is one.)

I am quite impressed at what he has accomplished (completing a novel at such a young age that has received such notice and adodration) and I would like to read the book one of these days.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.