FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Butterfly Effect

Author Topic: The Butterfly Effect
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Go see it.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd planned to. Thanks.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

anytime. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the horrible reviews?

I guess I should trust the opinion of someone who loves the The Big Lebowski, and is a fan of Charlie Kaufman.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

and don't forget addicted to Family Guy.

I read some really good reviews and I read some really bad reviews, but i just wanted to see it for myself. and i was pretty excited about it at that. And it didn't disapoint at all.

Sure there's some minor holes when you think about it afterwards, but there's also moments and ideas that'll keep you thinking afterwards.

there's some twists, some predictable, some not.

but it's a really cool movie that was done really well. And that's what I liked about it I think. It was a neat idea that was handled extremely well and made for a really cool flick.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Even with Aston Kutcher in it? [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even with Aston Kutcher in it? [Wink]
I'm just trying to decide whether or not that was a Freudian Slip. [Razz]
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Everything I've heard about this film, from people I trust, is that it blows chunks. What did you like about it?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Woops! [Embarrassed]

*decides not to edit it*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those movies that is so very unsettling, but so very good. The way it's filmed, the way the storyline unfolds, the way the mysteries are solved, the frenetic pace and erratic camera work -- all fantastically involving and (for want of a less cheesy word,) captivating.

I plan to write a movie review of it to practice for my future career of writing movie reviews that don't get published. [Wink]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I plan to write a movie review of it to practice for my future career of writing movie reviews that don't get published.
Leonide, that's the kind of attitude that'll land you some great failed interviews. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to seeing it, I was just waiting for someone to say they didn't think it stunk. But, given my newest vow to never spend ten dollars for a lousy ticket, I'll still have to wait until it's on video. [Grumble]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a lot of reviews that basically say "I really wanted to hate this movie because of Ashton Kutcher, but it was so good, I couldn't." I guess some reviewers were more successful at hating it than others, despite its goodness. I really liked it. Disturbing, though. Don't bring the kids.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
MaureenJanay -- you don't have such a thing as a "matinee show" discount times at your local theatre?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband works a lot...there is never a matinee available when he is off work. I guess I could go by myself...but then I need a babysitter. Err....I don't know, it just never works out. We go bowling instead. [Smile]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear it was actually a good movie, but I still love the review I read. To paraphrase, it said you have to appreciate a movie that has the very act of Ashton Kutcher reading be such a cosmically traumatic event that it rips open a hole in space and time. Just funny.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a Lathe of Heaven rip off?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Is it a Lathe of Heaven rip off?
Is Dark City a Lathe of Heaven rip off?

No, these movies(or books) all have similar elements, but it's in no way a rip off of Lathe of Heaven.

Tom, to answer your question, I don't understand how anyone could think this movie blows chunks. you might not love it and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that's no reason to hate it. unless you just can't wrap your mind around Ashton Kutcher being serious, and then I'm sorry, because you're letting preconcieved notions get to you. Ashton Kutcher doesn't put on an Oscar worthy performance here, but he does hold his own. He's serious and believable, and very likeable.

Now, to the movie. [Smile]

I really don't understand how you can dislike this movie. The cast is good. The filming style is very cool. The movie starts and within 2 minutes i turned to Kira and was like, "this is so cool". You know how some movies just have that air of cool and mystery surrounding them? Well this was one of them. The way they gave you the intro to the story and introduced the first of many mysteries kept you interested, but with what you already know about the movie coming in also kept you thinking. And even figuring out early on what the mysteries meant, just made it all the cooler cause i couldn't wait to see how they played out.

The movie takes some expected and some very unexpected twists and turns throughout the story.

But most of all it just brought up lots of interesting ideas in a cool manner. Sure, they aren't original ideas that no one has ever contemplated before, but they were presented in a maner not typically hollywood. I was struck during the film by thoughts surrounding not only how much we are effected by the events that happen to us, but even more so by *other* peoples choices. Or i guess more specifically how other peoples choices can lead to events that shape our lives and how we are.

And i enjoyed every minute of the movie.

That is all.

Strider
Member # 1807

*i've come back in time from the future to bump this thread so it doesn't slip into oblivion*
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from seeing it.

I've got to say, I can't see why the critics didn't like it. If there was bad acting, it was below my threshold; I didn't notice it. About the only problem I noted--I doubt a pedophile could be scared into giving up his camera that easily. Still, it might've encouraged the girl to report him or something like that.

Extremely interesting concept. I think I did read a story about something like it, once, and this was just about as good.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I might put a spoiler warning in there.

*spoiler*

but yeah...i somewhat agree. he was talking pretty weird, and his voice was all distorted. i don't know if the father heard it that way though. in either case, the words alone would be enough to give someone pause i think. but maybe not quite so easily. i agree that it was pretty minor if it was an issue.

[ February 04, 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it for the first time. I started with the director's cut, and then watched the ending of the theatrical version. And naturally, the director's cut has such a better ending.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wah! Really! I hate the regular ending!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, it looks an awful lot like a Sound of Thunder rip-off, no?

Not to mention dozens of other sci-fi movies that have already used the same device. What's so different about this one?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched the theatrical version...just the directors cut. How did the theatrical version end? I thought they did a good job with the directors cut...though it was very creepy
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this last night and thought it was good, except for a few holes.

.....spoiler.....

The theater version, which I assume is what's on the VCR tape, has him using the home movies to go back to when he first met Kalie and telling her he hated her. They never became friends, she and Tommy moved in with their mother, and thus, were never abused by their father. It ends with him walking down the street years later and seeing her. She looks at him like she thinks "this is someone I know" and then keeps walking. He decides not to follow her.

How did the director's cut end?

Shouldn't all the brain hemorrhaging have killed him?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER SPOILER!!
In the version I saw which I assume is the directors cut, he uses a home movie of his birth to go back to the womb and strangle himself with the embilicle cord so he's never born. This is forshadowed by his mother mentioning earlier in the movie that she miscarried 3 times before he was born.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.