FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strange Game Show Answers

Author Topic: Strange Game Show Answers
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
These sound like something from Family Feud; I don't know if "Family Fortunes" is a British version or something totally different.

The following are actual answers given by contestants on Family Fortunes

Name something a blind person might use - A sword

Name a song with moon in the title - Blue Suede Moon

Name a bird with a long neck - Naomi Campbell

Name an occupation where you need a torch - A burglar

Name a famous brother and sister - Bonnie & Clyde

Name a dangerous race - The Arabs

Name an item of clothing worn by the Three Musketeers - A horse

Name something that floats in the bath - Water

Name something you wear on the beach - A deckchair

Name something Red - My cardigan

Name a famous cowboy - Buck Rogers

Name a famous royal - Mail

Name a number you have to memorize - 7

Name something you do before going to bed - Sleep

Name something you put on walls - Roofs

Name something in the garden that's green - Shed

Name something you might be allergic to - Skiing

Name a famous bridge - The bridge over troubled waters

Name something a cat does - Goes to the toilet

Name something you do in the bathroom - Decorate

Name an animal you might see at the zoo - A dog

Name a sign of the zodiac - April

Name something slippery - A conman

Name a food that can be brown or white - Potato

Name a jacket potato topping - Jam

Name a famous Scotsman - Jock

Name another famous Scotsman - Vinnie Jones

Name something with a hole in it - Window

Name a non-living object with legs - Plant

Name a domestic animal - Leopard

Name a part of the body beginning with 'N' - Knee

Name a way of cooking fish - Cod

Name a job a working dog does - Slave

Name something associated with pigs - The police

Name a kind of ache - Filet-o-fish

[To a contestant who was a SOUP salesman:]
Name a food that can be easily eaten without chewing - Er, chips?

Name a form of transport you can walk around in - My foot

Name a method of securing your home - Put the kettle on

Name the last thing you take off before going to bed - Your feet

Name something that makes you scream - A squirrel

Name something you have with coffee - The Sunday Sport

Name something that flies that doesn't have an engine - A bicycle with wings

Name something you open other than a door - Your bowels

Our survey said... Eh-urgh!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Name an occupation where you need a torch - A burglar
Torch: anglicanism for flashlight.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there're a number of british-isms in there, in particular british in-jokes.

My bet is for most of these the person just couldn't think of anything good (already exhausted the obvious?) and decided to be funny instead.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister in law should have made that list. For "Name something you see in the countyside," her answer was "Seashore." For "Name a prison occupation," she answered "Innkeeper," to which Richard Dawson said, "Innkeeper. We need more of those in prison." The funniest one was was the show where the question was, "Name a type of pill," my 17 year old brother in law (and this was about 25 years ago) answered, "Birth control pill," and my 27 year old sister in law, who had had 4 kids in four years said, "Vitamins."
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest gameshow moment I ever saw was on Family Feud a couple years ago. This was on the actual show, not even on one of the bloopers specials. An obviously ill-educated black family won the game. They went into the bonus round, and the dimmest bulb of the lot went second. She gave a string of singularly bad answers, and finally got to the last question:

Host: Name a classical music composer.

Contestant: Ummm... Pass.

Host: It's the last question. You have 10 seconds. You might as well guess.

Contestant: Umm...

** 9... 8... 7... **

Contestant: Hemmm... Ummm....

** 6... 5... 4... **

Contestant: Errr.... Ummmm...

** 3... 2... 1... **

Contestant: JULIO IGLESIAS!!

I'm sure some people don't care to listen to classical music. But can you imagine going your whole life without ever learning the name of Bach, Beethoven or Mozart? It boggles the mind, and it nearly made me wizz my pants laughing to boot.

Ah, yes. The lovely baroque sounds of Julio Iglesias. Whenever I go to the symphony, I always hope they'll play a traditional arrangement of The Girl from Ipanima, with authentic instruments of the age. I loved it when Willie Nelson did To All the Girls I've Loved Before. I always forget, was that a duet with Franz Lizt or Felix Mendelssohn?

I love his son. You know, the one that's always on MTV, with the mole on his face. What's his name? Oh, yeah. Carl Philipp Emanuel Iglesias.

[ February 01, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
They have a special on TV where they play the worst Game Show Answers. several were taken from that show. My favorite routine went:

Q) Name something you take with you to the beach.

A) um Turkey.

laughs

Q) Name something you buy at the market.

A) Turkey.

laughs more.

Q) Name something you have for Christmas Dinner.

A) Turkey.

The whole place laughs....

PS Wow, you had relatives on FFued? Did the catch anything from the Richard Dawson kiss?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
***WARNING: semi-adult humor following, do not read if you are not of age, chronologically or in maturity***

Well, there is that infamous (and well before most of our times) Newlywed Game dialogue.

The show, if you do not know, was set up so that 3 recently-wed couples try to answer questions about their spouse to prove that they knew them better than the others knew their own. The winners got some nice prizes, or something.

So on one of the shows, the host, Bo Eubanks asked the couples: "Where is the strangest place you've ever made whoopie?" Remember we're talking the 60s and 70s folks. Also, realize the husband has an answer written on a card that he flips over after his wife answers.

Anyway, the wife looks and acts uncomfortable, like she's trying to phrase her answer correctly, and then says, "I don't think I can answer that, Bob."

Bob encourages her on, as sometimes contestants didn't like to mention certain things, even if it usually ended up as having a first date at a Ground Round, or something.

Finally, she gives her answer... "In the a--, Bob."

At that point the audience, contestants, and Bob all go into a fit of laughter. The poor woman is a bit confused at this response, not realizing she understood the question incorrectly.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An obviously ill-educated black family won the game.
What's the relevance of the family being black?

[Edit: honest question]

[ February 01, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I knew I'd get crap about that. It was for descriptive purposes only. If it was a redneck family from Alabama, I'd have mentioned that. And I'm sure there would have been no comments on it. But I guess it's no longer okay to imply that any black people aren't Nobel Prize laureates.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Okay, I posted that last reply at work, and this is why I never do that. I was in way too much of a hurry, and so I just hit "reply" about half way through what may have been a more even-headed response. Sorry if it came off as rude or defensive.

Why I mentioned the contestants' race, mark 2:

As I said in my last post, it was for descriptive purposes. Specifically, I put in the bits that made the incident seem funny to me. I thought about leaving out the race issue, because I knew that describing a black person as uneducated would look awfully un-PC. But honestly, when I think about the incident, I remember the ebonics and the mannerisms, and it's part of what made it so amusing.

Granted, the statement could just as easily have been made by a Mississippi redneck, a California surfer, or an English cockney. And it probably would have been just as funny in those contexts. But it wasn't. It was made by a black person. When I considered whether to add the race issue to the story, I decided to put it in for two reasons. First, I think a description of the contestants culture adds a certain vividness to the story, which makes it funnier. Second, if the statement was made by a redneck, a surfer or a cockney, I would not have hesitated to add the racial/ cultural description. That being the case, if I omit a racial description simply because a person is black, that is racist.

The bottom line is that I know myself. I feel comfortable with the fact that I'm not a racist, and that I can tell the difference between the statement that there once was a stupid black person and that black people are stupid. That's why I saw nothing wrong with adding the race of the character to my story.

Does that make more sense? [Smile]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Name something a blind person might use - A sword"

[ February 02, 2004, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Name something a blind person might use - A sword
I might've answered the same had I just finished watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.