FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More Anniework

Author Topic: More Anniework
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my latest design project. I have to show it off here because you're the kind of people who get it. [Smile]

Postage stamp design

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Are you going to submit it to the Postal service?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

no, it was just for class. Plus, I think there's a rule that you can't have someone living on a stamp.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, that's awesome. [Smile]

*so proud of her triplet*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool -- and I'm not even a particular fan of his work.

Save it, Annie. He'll die sometime, and you'll be ready!

*runs*

[Edit: Note to self, have enough patience for the whole thing to download before you comment. [No No] [Blushing] ]

[ February 03, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this stamp! Can you read the letters though, when it's very small? The art is great and was really glad Le Guin made it on there.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
psst--LeGuin's still alive too rivka!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, she didn't let it load that far. [Razz]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sulks in the no-broadband corner*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[ROFL]

It's okay rivka. When I opened it and saw that the top of the stamp was the same width as my moniter... Well, let's just say I understand. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

Just for the record, it DID eventually download fully, and it was even cooler. [Big Grin]
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stamps. All four authors are favorites of mine.

But I really want to thank rivka for giving me an opportunity to post on the "out of context" thread. [Big Grin]

[ February 03, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it! (the top half anyway, the bottom hasn't loaded yet but the window says it's done...)
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Sorry - I keep forgetting that 800 pixels is way huger on a pc than on my mac. I shall go resize as soon as I can. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there dragons in the LeGuin stamp? Did you mean McCaffery?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It was hard finding a symbol for LeGuin- everyone else had an easy iconic association. Anything from a specific novel like the Left Hand of Darkness or the Lathe of Heaven would have been way too esoteric. I finally decided on dragons because I thought that encapsulated the entire Earthsea series pretty well.

Anyway. Resize is up. [Smile]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Mmmmmmm, Earthsea.....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what iconic image comes to mind when I think of Earthsea. A guy on a boat, kinda. And a big metal bracelet.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno - you could have gone with "Left Hand of Darkness." Maybe a fur-clad hermaphrodite breaking through the ice that has formed on the top of the beer in his/her mug? [Smile]

My computer is weird - I had no trouble at all with the images. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

For Earthsea...a goat.
Annie
Member # 295

um, yeah, sndrake - that will be on edition two of the stamps. [Razz]

I also had to take into consideration that only a very small percentage of the population actually knows who these people are, so I went as general as possible.

And yes, the type stayed rather readable when reduced down to size - my final printouts were an enlargement of an individual stamp and the group of four at the actual size of 1" by 1.5" each.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed them. I sure had fun indoctrinating the unsuspecting non-dork populace with them.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie,

You are way cool. Someday you are going to be so famous, and all of us will be saying, "We knew her when...". This would definitely kick butt as a lithograph or a huge wall painting a la Andy Warhol. Heck, now that I think of it, this would make an amazing mural. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep forgetting that 800 pixels is way huger on a pc than on my mac
It would also be "way huger" on an old PowerMac. It isn't very large on my computer.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
800 pixels is 800 pixels no matter what you run. It's the screen resolution which may be different, and that's up to the user. 800 px would be rather small on my 1280 x 1024 resolution.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I need occasional fiascoes with digital media to humble myself and I need occasional successes in my beloved print media to prove to everyone that I'm not as big of a technological nitwit as I appear.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are way cool. Someday you are going to be so famous, and all of us will be saying, "We knew her when...". This would definitely kick butt as a lithograph or a huge wall painting a la Andy Warhol. Heck, now that I think of it, this would make an amazing mural. Can't wait to see more of your work.
Believe me now Annie? [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, those are awesome.

Did you do the original character drawings??? That's darned impressive!!

The design as a whole is also fantastic. I would love to know that my stamp is part of a bigger picture. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.