FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the french debate a head-scarf ban. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: the french debate a head-scarf ban.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The people of France have decided that their schools should be secular.

The community has a right to set standards for dress.

With these two facts in mind, it's clear that the Muslim girls don't really have a leg to stand on.

[ February 07, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How does someone wearing a peice of religious headgear make the schools non-secular?

A yamulka's not OK, but a baseball cap for a soccer team is?

Add a cross to the cap and now it's not?

Make the cross part of the logo for a band and it's OK again?

The schools don't require uniforms - they ban clothing based on its meaning to the wearer. There's no way to say this policy reflects individual liberty.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee has a point. In banning crosses, head-scarves etc. how do they enforce such things without people arguing that "It's just a decoration/fashion." When does religion end and 'just wearing it' start? When is a cross merely two long thing rectangles laid on top of one another?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how can people claim a statue of the 10 Commandments at a court isn't just decoration?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not trying to claim the 10 Comandments were just decoration. However, courts have upheld public display of paintings where the comandments were a part of a larger, non-religious scene.

My point was that the only way to enforce the French law is to deliberately try to limit religious expression - there's no way to couch the law as merely regulating students' dress without admitting that it is targetted at religious expression.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha - Ha.

The US backs Isreal unrelentlessly.

The US Invades two Muslim countries and ousts their leaders.

The US Hunts down Al Queda members, forcing them to flea and hide in the mountains.

The French just ban religious clothing in public schools, including feminine head scarves.

Yet the French rocket up to almost equal status to the US on the Al-Queda hit parade.

We welcome France into the cross hairs.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if opposition to Al Qaeda makes someone heroic -- as many conservative commentators have claimed -- does that mean that French school officials are now heroes?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No - it means they're picking on children who just want to express their religious beliefs.

I'm sure pissing on the Sacred Mosque in Mecca would be elicit a strong response from Al Qaeda. That wouldn't be heroic either.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so, just to clarify: opposition to Al Qaeda is only noble if it's done in appropriate ways and for appropriate reasons? Because, y'know, Ann Coulter might find that a treasonous statement. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Effective opposition is noble.

Wagging your fingers at them and saying "nyah nyah nyah" at them is just silly.

[Taunt]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

And what makes opposition effective, exactly? Does a previously ineffective opposition BECOME noble if it suddenly starts working?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Tom, you should really stop trying to explain what conservatives think or believe. You're really not very good at it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I am merely pointing out that many conservatives have made the argument that our opposition to Al Qaeda -- and the details thereof -- are morally exempt from questioning, as the mere act of opposition is itself noble. Ann Coulter and John Lileks, in particular, have both said that liberals are outright treasonous for questioning the methods of the president's struggle against this organization, because -- as Lileks says in one of his most recent articles -- any opposition to an evil force is a noble one.

If this is not the case, and merely being opposed to evil does not in fact make someone heroic, merely dissenting to the forms of that opposition does not make someone ignoble -- contrary, again, to the claims of several popular conservative pundits.

I don't expect YOU to be a big fan of Coulter, but I know there ARE fans of Coulter out here -- and, consequently, I'm glad to see a conservative helping me make my argument against her views. [Smile]

[ February 25, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've always interpreted those columns slightly differently - that the enemy is such that certain measures that may not be justifiable in other circumstances are justifiable against al Qeada. Certainly that's a debatable point, but it's quite different than saying that anything is justifiable. But I don't regularly read either one, so I might have missed the ones you're talking about.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, are you saying that ALL devout, scarf-wearing Muslims support al Qaeda?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Nope. But, surely, not all Afghani fighters opposing our invasion of that country supported Al Qaeda, either. Yet, oddly, suggesting otherwise is considered unpatriotic.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now I understand your analogy. [Smile] I never much cared for Coulter, or agreed with her.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Yet, oddly, suggesting otherwise is considered unpatriotic.
Can you point to some examples of this, please?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You can probably quickly search on Ornery alone, Dag. [Smile] Or read Treason. No hurry.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I keep hearing that, but no one has ever pointed out a quote that says anything is justified to fight terrorism.

For example, I'm sure they wouldn't want to boost the capital gains tax back up to fund it. [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.