FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » a question about chemo for Hatrack's medical types(not a dobie)

Author Topic: a question about chemo for Hatrack's medical types(not a dobie)
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it has side effects during treatment, but are there any permanent side effects? Things like liver damage, kidneys, etc.

The drugs involved are cyclophosphamide, 5 flurouracil,methotrexate, and kydril

[ February 03, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Depending on the actual drug you can have nerve damage (numbness, tingling), cardiac toxicity, growth stunting (if children, cataracts and most ironically cancer.

Most of the permanant side effects are rare. Often times it's the lesser of two evils.

BTW, it's Kytril. Not a chemo, it's used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by chemo. A very good drug that has revolutionized chemotherapy treatment.

How specific would you like me to be? I don't want this information to discourage treatment.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wel, the treatment is ongoing and I just wanted to know what permanent effects might be caused. What are the odds of permanent damage with the drugs listed?

Thank you.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.