FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I truely didn't care

Author Topic: I truely didn't care
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
When MSN messenger signs in, it pops up a little "MSN today" window that has a few news clippings that you're supposed to follow on so that the advertisers will pay Microsoft money. I don't actaully focus on these much, but as I was going to close the window, I saw this in refrence to baby names:
quote:
Aidan & Ethan edge out Michael, but does Emily still rank #1?
Had you asked me before I read that if I knew or cared my answer would be a defenitive "no". But after reading it, I thought to myself, "I don't know if Emily is the number one girl's name, I wonder if it still is." Despite the fact that I had had no idea that emily ever was the number one girl's name.

To quote Sienfeld: "You know, I don't think I could cut through my shoes with any of my knives."

Hobbes [Smile]

[ February 04, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do people name their kids "Aidan"? (honest question, never heard of that name)
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, you'll care when your spouse wants to name your baby the #1 name.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
See? I told you Aidan got all trendy. Too bad - it was such a cool Scottish name. I need to stop liking names because then everyone else just goes out and uses them.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I was wondering about Aidan too. I've heard of Aidan Quin. I think it's more an indicator that the weird names are taking over from the traditionals.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
We have an Emma Lee in our family. [Big Grin]
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I have a class of 15 people in which 4 of them are Emilies.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I also have a sister named Emarie and everyone assumes she's an Emily with a speech impediment.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to get my hypothetical (perhaps improbable) future wife to let me name one of our daughters either Ashara or Lyanna. I'm a dork like that though.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

My niece was among the first Tara's. Then the name exploded. No guaranteeing originality. Social Security Admin baby names site
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should bring back "Ethel".
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I just disable the "MSN Today" or the "Yahoo Today" or the "AOL Today" pop-up thingies. Makes for less clicking. There is almost never anything worthwhile anyway that I don't hear about on Hatrack on them, anyway.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Aidan has always been my favorite name for a boy! In fact, I've always planned on naming my first-born (assuming it's a boy, of course) Aidan.

Not that I'm likely to have any children anytime too soon...

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
When Is Robey going to be popular. I can't even find it in tyhe baby names books. Sure they always have robert with vatriation of it being rob Robbie Robby and every other variation of the name but no Robey (Row-be)

Incidently a Robey is the hill that an English Nobleman's house sits on.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Once a long time ago in hish school I was searching for my names origin.

I did not find it under first names but i found it under last names.

That was the definition I just used.

I just went to google and spent a few hours trying to find any site that had any definition of the name robey and its origins.

No luck what so ever.

And did ya know that if you type in yebor on google ya get a reference to an artist named joan robey who discovered a tribe on the Island Of Yebor called the Naoj.

She uses this spiel to sell her artwork.

Will keep up the search for the Robey origin.

I know It was taken from a last name but noone seems to want to tell what it means anymore or even knows that it exist.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron's best friend from High School (Bernarcie) and his wife have a little boy named Aiden. She considered naming him Liam, but then we already had a Liam, so she went with Aiden. We just attended his 3rd birthday party this weekend.

It was at a fire station. We took the tour, and the kids loved it. At the start of the tour, when we finally got everyone quiet, Aiden shouted, "Where's Miss Olivia?" For soem reason, he REALLY likes me. [Smile] Which is cool, 'cause he's such a charming little munchkin.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
How strange. My name isn't even in the top 1000 names in the past 12 years according to SS.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Aiden is a boy's name?

[Eek!]

Sounds like a little girl who likes paste, to me. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] I loved that article on MSN. I've named 4 babies in the past 5 years, and now I'm addicted to them. I wish I could get a PhD in it, I've spent so much time and thought on the subject.

It's a real industry now, baby naming. There are "baby name experts" that are outside FDA approval guidelines, so approach with caution. They usually love things like Dustin for girls and the last-name or two-syllable B-name trend for boys (Brady, Brenden, Braydon, etc.) Also, it seems like they're all agreed on Sage being the hot name for the next year or so, because they're really trying to push it.

But then...you said you didn't care, so, I digress. [Wave]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I mean I'm addicted to naming children. But I'm addicted to the children, too. [Wink]
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! For a second there I thought you were addicted to having children. And wanted to get a PhD for it...

[ February 04, 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I practically should! Again, 4 kids, 5 years.

In fact, (again, not, that you asked) my water broke with the first one when I was in a college Human Biology lab. Studying the reproductive system, watching a video called The Miracle of Birth. The baby on the show crowned, and POP, I had to go to the hospital. And I didn't even get extra credit! [Grumble] [Wink]

[ February 04, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Sachiko ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.