FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ...this is why keyboards are so far down in the food chain...

Author Topic: ...this is why keyboards are so far down in the food chain...
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so, I spilled a gallon of water on my old friend, my ergonomic Microsoft "Natural Keyboard." Sigh... I had that puppy near ten years, it served me well.

I'm typing this on a dinky come-with-the-computer keyboard from my LAST computer, the E-Machine. God knows how long ago that was. God knows why I still have it around. But in any case, I'm now in the market for a REAL keyboard that suits large hands -- I can't survive on this tiny hellhole of buttons obviously designed for leprechauns. I need an ergonomic keyboard -- "natural" or not, I need it to be larger than normal and split down the middle.

Amazon.com has a crappy selection that I'm capable of understanding. So I turn to you, Hatrack techies -- which ergonomic keyboard do you think is best? I could just buy another Microsoft "Natural Keyboard" if there aren't any suggestions, but as I understand it, I was fairly lucky with getting such a quality one. They apparently have poor reviews.

...perhaps because they're not waterproof...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo, still have the keyboard you spilled on? Throw in the dishwasher, let it dry out well, then give it a try. Seriously, works wonders.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a keyboard in the dishwasher?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I cleaned a keyboard with Fantastic once . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as you don't use any soap, and preferably use distilled water, it should be perfectly fine.

Best way would be to fill a shallow tin or somesuch with distilled water -- a bathtub works -- and let it soak for a while, maybe a half hour. Then swish it around in the water a bit, then leave it out to air dry somewhere, upside down, for 3 or 4 days. I repeat, 3 or 4 days. Try it before then and you're asking for trouble.

Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity very well at all. You can submerge a computer in distilled water while running, theoretically, and it would continue to work. Of course, as soon as anything in the computer contaminated the water, adding some ions, you'd be screwed.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo,
If I were you, I would go to CompUSA or Best Buy or somewhere where they have the different styles of keyboards out in the open -- check them out, put your hands on them, decide which one you like, and THEN go on-line to order it cheaper.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks around lab*

Hey... I've got a toaster here and a bucket of distilled water.

If I'm not back in an hour, somebody hurt fugu.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
*hurts fugu*
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of third grade when we were studying electricity and I asked what would happen if you dropped a battery in water. All the kids thought it would explode, but the (I guess it was someone's dad) dude talking said if the water were clean enough, nothing would happen.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the Key Tronic FlexPro keyboard. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find them anymore. It is TOTALLY split down the middle. In fact, you can raise the two sides so that you are typing with your thumbs pointing up toward the ceiling -- neutral position!!!

It's wonderful. And it was a lot less expensive than a truly ergonomic keyboard.

The Microsoft "natural" keyboard is about as ergonomic as my grandmother's '62 BelAir. It does have the advantage of being cheap, though.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
If you dishwash your keyboard, take the keys off first; it cleans better. (For added fun, replace them in random positions.) Normal soap shouldn't hurt it -- it's already survived a rather scalding flux bath, after all. Just be sure to dry it completely.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which...
Can one switch the keys around on a Qwerty keyboard to look like a Dvorak keyboard, just tell the computer that a Dvorak is being used, and have the keyboard work like a Dvorak?
Or is the Qwerty keyboard actually wired differently than the Dvorack keyboard?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. [Dont Know]

I burned all the white letters off of my letters of my black keyboard a long time ago just to deter computer illiterate people away from my computer. [Evil Laugh] I don't know how that is relevant, but I thought it was worth sharing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.