FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 22....

Author Topic: 22....
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Scythrop and I have just consolidated our book collections, after living interstate for a year.

In the midst of unpacking boxes from storage, my insistance on alphabetical order and frantically finding more bookshelve space as it became clear our joint collection was getting very large, I realised that we have now 22 OSC books.

(I'm missing Lost Boys, Treasure Box and Enchantment - though I have read the latter two - as well as any of the women of genesis series.. plus others that I'm not aware of yet.)

So I'm proud to say that OSC takes up more room on our shelves than any other author. Even Asimov isn't in the same league. (On my shelves, at least [Smile] )

[ February 08, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of sheer numbers of books owned, Terry Pratchett wins handily for us; we've got everything he's ever written. In terms of volume, however, I think Stephen King's frequently king-sized novels might just have the edge. Both of them have about eight feet of shelf space, but I'm not quite sure who wins. [Smile]

(I DO have a lot of Card, but....And here I'm going to refrain from any further comment, since the last sentence I typed caused my browser to do all strange and wiggly things.)

[ February 08, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Pratchett comes second, with 19 books on our shelves. They do look quite... bright with all the covers together.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
If I put my OSC books on the shelves of my bookcase, I wouldn't have room for anything else, so they're all lined up nicely in two rows on top of the bookcase. Of course, OSC is the only author whose books I care to own as opposed to borrowing from the library.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Clancy is good at taking up a lot of space. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series also takes up most of a shelf by itself. My biggest space consumer however is Oscar Brockett's 23 volume history of theater set.(One of my favorite possessions)
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...Pratchett...we've got everything he's ever written."

Where the heck did you find The Unadulterated Cat???

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While I must admit that we do not, in fact, have The Unadulterated Cat, I should point out that the book is available at a reasonable price here.

[ February 08, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
uh....I have some books...somewhere.... *cough*
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
When Bernard and I have the need for a joined bookshelf, I get the feeling that Tolkien will beat out most everyone else hands-down, since Bernard's collection is amazing.

My bookshelf is currently overrun with manga. [Big Grin] They have so many volumes in their series...

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
whoa... That's AMAZING!!!
I've been looking for years, with occassional checks into Amazon.com, and have never run across any bookseller who could get it for me.
[Smile] Just ask TomDavidson and my wish is fulfilled [Smile]

Now, where can I find the real Maltese Falcon?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Just ask TomDavidson and my wish is fulfilled
Hatrack's very own genie. Not too sure if he wears harem pants though.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien has an entire shelf and a half dedicated to him, so I think he wins there. Runners-up include Brain Jaques, David Eddings, and Barbara Hambly, it seems (where the heck did all of those come from?).
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Just ask TomDavidson and my wish is fulfilled...
Hatrack's very own genie. Not too sure if he wears harem pants though.

I would like to take this chance to put in a shameless plug for Hatrack Photoshop Phriday... this week's theme being "Phun with Phoobonic" [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
The largest section in my collection would have to be Philip K Dick. I have over 40 books of his including short story collections.

After that would be OSC, Stephen King, Robert Jordan, Piers Anthony and Bukowski.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Our bookshelf is kind of in chaos right now, not to mention to books lurking under the bed, the couch, and in some boxes...

But, OSC makes a strong showing. Jack Chalker might have him beat, though. Also good showings by two different Herberts, Jonathan Kellerman, and David Brin. And Laurel K. Hamilton. Not to mention all the Star Trek books... [Embarrassed]
(the Star Trek books all belong to Diane. I swear it!)

[ February 08, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.