FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Topics Continue to Elude Me

Author Topic: Topics Continue to Elude Me
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of bitterly ironic that not only can I never think of topics to post on Hatrack, but when given an assignment to come up with a Research Project idea, I can't do that either.

I'm stuck. The most stuck I've ever been, because I've only ever done two research papers before...in high school...and they were really bad because I could never come up with a decent thesis. And added to the mix this time around -- I have to find an interview subject knowledgeable in my topic area who isn't a friend or family member....which means that I have to tailor the subject to fit that criteria.

For instance, I can't do a paper on Strider's new online business, because I know him, and his partner. A WEALTH of information and sources and just...STUFF at my fingertips and I can't use it because I'm dating the guy who runs it.

The subject we pick has to be something we're genuinely interested in learning more about, and then we just have to find a creative angle...a question worth asking. And that pesky interview subject. It also can't be an "issue" that we personally have strong feelings about: e.g. abortion or the death penalty.

I'm interested in learning about EVERYTHING -- I can't just pick one thing! And i can't think of anybody to interview. I'm stucky. Help. Oh, help.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you want to do a paper on military dependents, I'm your go-to gal for an interview.

*grin*

That's all I got.

I know you can do it, Leonide. I also know it is hard to narrow things down to a specific point. Sometimes I miss school. When I think about what you are doing right now, I do NOT miss school. [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing what kind of resources are availabe to you, I can't be specific on a topic, but I can give you an example of how I completed a similar assignment.

I had a magazine writing class in college, and I'm not exactly sure what kind of article it had to be, but it involved doing an interview. The college I went to had a substantial Salvation Army contingent, and a girl on my hall was involved with timbrels, tambourine-like instruments that they use to perform interpretive dance-type routines. I used the timbrel angle to write an article about the Salvation Army, and it turned out great.

I guess my point is that it's not so much picking the right topic and the right interview subject. It's about, in your case, picking something that someone you have access to knows something about and then using that person to find out the story behind the topic. Does that make sense?

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this an English class? History? Business? Education? Might help narrow things down a bit.

I volunteer to be interviewed for any of the following topics: teaching, single-parenting, job-hunting [Grumble] . Or does the interview need to be in person? I'll still do it -- you'll just have to come visit. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it okay if you have personal knowledge as long as you have someone else to interview? I think it would be great if you wrote a paper about online communities. Like Hatrack.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actaully, that assignment sounds like heaven to me. I love assignments that are just basically, "learn about something." I never get them though, I'm so jealous!

Last time I was in middle school and I wrote about Joshua Bell, my violin teacher was his first teacher so I interviewed her. It was great!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Is this an English class?
indeed

And i love the assignment, I love the generalness of it when most assignments are so exhasperatingly specific, but I just can't seem to pick just one thing. Go figure, eh?

The interview doesn't have to be in person but she got all uncomfortable about it, and said that it could only be over phone/internet if that was the only option.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that if you pick a topic you want to learn about and post it here you would find someone to interview. In fact, I challenge you to find a topic that Hatrack can’t find you an interviewee for.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Well, since I first posted I've been trying to think of interview subjects, and finding a topic from there. I know this guy who does homeopathic healing, i went to him for one session a few months ago, and I'm still kind of up in the air whether I believe it's effective. So that'd be interesting to research, and then I could interview him.

good idea, Yes?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

yay!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.