FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Valentine's Day Romance (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Valentine's Day Romance
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this poem for my new boyfriend. I'm going to give it to him on Valentine's Day.

My life would be a desert - save
For fountains shared with you.
My spirit, parched and caked with dust
Seeks out your morning dew.

I then, at parting, thirst again
Until I see your lights
Marking oasis waters in
My lonely desert nights.

Comments welcome. Feel free to post any other Valentine's Day poetry or romantic stuff here. What are you going to do for your sweetie this year??

[ February 10, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true? Would your life really be a desert without him?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yes, actually, in many ways it would be. Though in reading the poem, you should make some allowance for poetic hyperbole. [Wink] (edit: And for what it's worth, the desert of my metaphor is one of those Arizona or Southern Utah deserts, not The Sahara.)

[ February 09, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite romantic poem that I wrote to my teachers starting in the 6th grade:

Would you be my valentine?
And raise this meager grade of mine?
But if my heart don't turn your head
Would you accept a bribe insteas?

My favorite romantic line, hand written on the card that I sent to my wife, along with a box of chocolates, a few years ago.

"I love you more than chocolate itself."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the poem, I have no love poems or romantic writings of my own to contribute, but this site has some lyrics, poems, and quotes that seem pretty good if you are a fan of love. And the thing about what I'm doing for my sweetie this year, I have yet to have a sweetie on Valentine's day, and doubt I will this year either, but I hope it goes well for all those in love with someone who loves them back. Happy Valentine's day.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked yours Karl. It's definitely romantic but not in a sappy cheesy way. [Wink] It's good!! Do you mind if I keep a copy of it somewhere(with your name on it of course)?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool poems, Karl and Dan. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I didn't see yours! That's great!!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, no wonder all the ladies want the gay men. [Grumble]

I wouldn't know romance if it kicked me in the crotch (as it tends to do, metaphorically speaking).

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, Frisco, ability with poetry does not get you the ladies.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Thanks Narnia. Feel free to save a copy with my name on it. I'm gonna change the name of this thread, though. It doesn't have to be about poetry. Post what you're going to do for/with your sweetie this Feb 14th.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider and I decided to be as non-cheesy as possible...so no dinner out, no stuffed bear holding a heart, no candy hearts...we're going the cheap, sweet route -- we'll be roller skating, ice skating, and then probably just hanging around the house talking, eating food, reading books, watching movies, whatever. Except for the first two things we're not really *planning* anything, per se.

I loved your poem, KarlEd. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
We're actually spending the weekend with my parents. On the surface, that doesn't sound very romantic, but it gives us free babysitting for the night and allows us to actually leave the little one for a while.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've convinced my wife to let me come home for the evening and make her dinner and then watch a movie. For me, right now, this is very romantic.

In the past I have made her a scrap books with pictures, romantic movie quotes and song lyrics, and some original poetry. I gave her this a couple of years ago and have from time to time surprised her with additions to it.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I'd post my plans here! [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend and I are getting extremely dressed up and taking each other out for dinner. Then she's going off with her boyfriend. I told him I'd joust him if he laid a hand on my valentine.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I are taking my best female friend out to dinner and then seeing a play... not sure how we'll spend the day but we'll see. We decided to buy useful presents this year, having been ridiculously sappy last year, so I've got him a brown leather belt to replace the one that he's had for years and has finally fallen apart.
It's funny having a non-sappy Valentine's day when Rob and I are the two sappiest people I know... but it should be fantastic!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote some pretty bad Haiku last Valentine's Day. All of you will have to wait until I get home for the content, since that's where they are.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes is coming to see me! [Smile] That's enough of a present to satisfy me.

I'm getting him.... oh, wait.... [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll be mudding sheetrock together. wow. The romance is almost too much to take.

However, I will be very happy if we get this basement finished soon.

*sigh*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polly
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly         Edit/Delete Post 
My honey is making me dinner. He's been planning since Christmas. After the extravagant presents we exchanged for Christmas and our birthdays, we agreed not to buy gifts for Valentine's Day. -Besides, he hasn't forgotten the embarrassment of having a HUGE balloon bouquet delivered to him at work last year. He wrote me a poem (which I am NOT sharing [Razz] ) and felt like it wasn't as good, but he was wrong.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of hubby's clients gave us tickets to a fancy dinner ball [Smile]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
The day will have all the necessary romantic ingredients: poetry, chocolate, wine, a wedding, a candlelight dinner and Victoria's Secret.

We're going to be in a wedding together (I a bridesmaid, he an usher) that afternoon, then we'll spend the evening in NYC. My bridesmaid's dress is from Victoria's Secret, the chocolate is from Belgium and the wine from Germany. I wrote the poem (not gonna post it though, uh-uh) and the reservations for the candlelight dinner not far from Washington Square have been made.

This is probably the coolest V-day I've had in a very long time.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
We do a huge gala of sorts. His birthday is the 16th so we do an all-weekend thing. (Or M-T-W or whatever.) It's great fun. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
Snowboarding. [Big Grin]

My honey rocks.

Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some serious help. I'm a senior in high school, so is my boyfriend, we've been dating 9 months.

I know all of the things guys are supposed to do for girls, but what am I supposed to do for him? Do you get your boyfriend flowers? It seems a little odd getting a guy flowers. [Confused]

Guys, what do you want your girlfriend/wife to do for you on Valentine's day?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of guy? Geek? Jock? Artist? Musician?

A nice safe approach is to just get a gift he would like - CDs are good, for instance. Think of Valentine's Day as an excuse to add that little sweet sappy touch to any normal gift... include a romantic card, give him candy in a heart-shaped box, a teddy bear with a big red bow on it, etc. Take him out to dinner and a movie, or take him in to dinner and a movie.

Yes, guys like teddy bears. We're just not allowed to admit it. (:

Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

geek, definately geek
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* my computer-geek boyfriend wanted a soldering iron for Valentine's day. I slightly regret saying no, 'cause I go for quirky.. but I would inevitably have bought the wrong one or something... but something of that ilk that you know he wants would go down well.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Good idea, I'll ask, but I would prolly get it wrong too.
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
It seems a little odd getting a guy flowers.
Actually, I got Strider a rose a couple weeks back and he seemed pretty happy about it. Said no one had ever given him flowers before. [Smile]

Guys are softies, you just gotta make sure your guy is comfortable with his softiness. If he's not, he might think the flower is an affront to his masculinity. Silly, but there it is.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be creeping people out in the produce aisle.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go wrong with scandalous lingerie.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be sitting in my dorm... Watching Comedy Central and eating ice cream... All alone, while my roommate and her boyfriend go out and do something... I really hate February this year.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'll be creeping people out in the produce aisle.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

You're in a good mood tonight, Stormy. This is the second thread i've popped into which has reduced you to a rolling on the floor laughing fit.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I asked, he already has a soldering iron. [Grumble]

He wants a new wristband for his watch. [Roll Eyes]

He's actually quite romantic when it comes to me, he's just not romantic about himself. *sighs*

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strider and I decided to be as non-cheesy as possible
actually, i think our decision to just make it really cheap and fun might necessitate it being cheesy.

But I say better to knowingly be cheesy and revel in it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
We will be watching three children for the entire weekend while one of our neighbors goes to visit her husband who is deployed somewhere in the midwest getting ready to go to Iraq for the U.S. Army.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, those two presents are the exact same ones my geek-boyfriend (now geek-husband) wanted.
It's like geek candy or something.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
actually, i think our decision to just make it really cheap and fun might necessitate it being cheesy.

But I say better to knowingly be cheesy and revel in it.

i thought i specifically requested no cheesiness, which evolved into cheap things. But i guess you're right...if it's gonna be cheap, it's gonna be cheesy..."Oh look, we're poor and destitute but we still have our love to keep us warm at night! Let's go to the mall and watch other people buy each other presents, it will fill our hearts with glee!"
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
leonide, sorry I lost you on AIM just now. It died on me!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

sadness! [Frown]

i guess it's lucky that i checked the thread again! [Smile]

Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, make/buy him cookies. Guys dig food.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
When Wes and I were dating, our first Valentine's Day I baked a batch of cupcakes, and wrote out "Happy Valentine's Day" one letter one letter on each cupcake and arranged them on the table so when he came over that evening he could see them.

I was broke and a batch of cake mix and some icing was about all I could afford. [Big Grin] It was cool, though.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much into the mushy/smushy stuff, for being a girl, I guess.

If there is anything I would want for Valentine's Day, it could be summed up in two words: "Power Tools!"

I know that is a Tim Allen answer, but that's kinda how I am. Forget the girly stuff -- get me a gift certificate to the local hardware store -- something that is really PRACTICAL, not romantic. I want something I can use, not something that will wilt in two days.

Which I know goes totally against everything every man has ever heard about women and Valentine's Day. I've had many men in the past discover this unique fact about me around this time of year.
(but there's no one to train in this important principle this year).

The one exception, of course -- I will always accept chocolate.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm without a SO. [Frown] But my best friend is also without someone, so she and I are gonna rent movies and eat ice cream and be lazy... Whee!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be spending the entire day baking bread for a fundraiser. In honor of the holiday, I’m making big round loaves with hearts cut into the top.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guys, what do you want your girlfriend/wife to do for you on Valentine's day?
I asked my husband's opinion on this but his answer isn't fit to print. [Evil]

I agree with the food ideas. Heart shaped cookies kick butt. Some pizza places will do a heart-shaped pie. (We have one in Tucson.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Women who believe that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, are aiming a tad high.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.